Sign in to follow this  
goneinG60seconds

G60 vs CRX

at the end of the day it will be down to the driver,the best way would be to get the stig to drive both cars around the track

Tuff one, i raced a civic type R old shape and was killed up to 70, after that he was mine! be warned, never undestimate the powers of the dark (Jap) side.

It's in the gearing mate. VR gearing is LOOOOONG compared to a Civic's. The Civic needs short gearing to make the most of it's stingey portion of torque. Past 70, the Rhonda's lack of grunt it is it's downfall and they will be rowing the gearbox and bouncing it off the limiter to keep up with a VR riding it's effortless wave of torque.

And yes I have driven a CTR and yes I have raced a CTR in my VR, both standard and shricked etc. When schricked, the win was decisive but when standard, mine didn't have so much of an advantage but he couldn't get past. Not even going to bother with them now I'm charged.

They are rapid from a standing start, but are hard work, and frankly boring, in the mid-range upwards.....and turn the radio up if you don't like the sound of a sewing machine reverberating around the cabin obtrusively.

I'm far from biased, I've driven loads of cars, including ones WAAAAAY better than any Corrado can ever hope to be, but I really do not see the fuss with Jap stuff at all.....perhaps maybe a Litchfield Type 25 impreza.

Tuff one, i raced a civic type R old shape and was killed up to 70, after that he was mine! be warned, never undestimate the powers of the dark (Jap) side.

It's in the gearing mate. VR gearing is LOOOOONG compared to a Civic's. The Civic needs short gearing to make the most of it's stingey portion of torque. Past 70, the Rhonda's lack of grunt it is it's downfall and they will be rowing the gearbox and bouncing it off the limiter to keep up with a VR riding it's effortless wave of torque.

And yes I have driven a CTR and yes I have raced a CTR in my VR, both standard and shricked etc. When schricked, the win was decisive but when standard, mine didn't have so much of an advantage but he couldn't get past. Not even going to bother with them now I'm charged.

They are rapid from a standing start, but are hard work, and frankly boring, in the mid-range upwards.....and turn the radio up if you don't like the sound of a sewing machine reverberating around the cabin obtrusively.

I'm far from biased, I've driven loads of cars, including ones WAAAAAY better than any Corrado can ever hope to be, but I really do not see the fuss with Jap stuff at all.....perhaps maybe a Litchfield Type 25 impreza.

:lol: :lol: :lol: thats pretty funny Kev the bit you saying your far from bias! :lol: :lol: :lol:

totally sounds like it :roll:

if you think that the CTR is boring as well as hard to keep on cam then you obviously dont know how to drive it properly!

also how does the car have a stingey portion of torque at 145lb/ft which i may add is pretty much the same as any 2L N/A car!??

im not going to stoop to a 'my cars faster than yours' as afik isnt racing shunned upon on this forum the same as it is on the CTR one???

its more like once you get past 110 that the CTR loses its guts and thats mainly to do with aerodynamics because its such a wedge! i find that doing 70-80mph i can drop it form 6th to 4th so its comes just on cam and leave most things standing on the morotrway with no need to 'bounce it off the limiter' as you put it!

driving TO the limiter is how you drive a CTR or any other Vtec car for that matter mate, otherwise there is no point having it! also if you know how to drive it properly then you can change 'before' there is any need to hit the limiter :roll:

now these Vtec engined cars arnt the sort of cars you can just jump into and get the best out of straight away like a VR.... you have to learn 'how to drive it' properly before you get the best out of it! it took me about 8 weeks to get it properly!

a modded VR is most definately a contender for being faster but your having a laugh mate if you think a standard one is :roll: :lol: :lol:

as with your supercharged VR tho i dont know what your running or the power increase etc but im sure that you would have a job to keep up with a supercharged CTR running 290bhp on standard internals with an 8850rpm rev limit!!!! i also know of a few that are still n/a and do very low 13's on the strip!

why cant people just praise different styles of engineering for their achievements rather than slag one off against the other all the time! :roll:

i love both of my cars for very different reasons but im not going to say that one is better than the other cos they are totally different machines and it would be like comparing chalk with cheese!

FI or a hefty great lump of a block is easy enough to for a car manufacturer to slam into a car but at least the japs have had a go at something different and are showing everyone what true engineering can achieve from a n/a motor...... i think its pretty impressive myself!

all you had to say is 'i dont like rice rockets cos i dont like the highly strung revs and the lesser delivery of low down torque' and that would have sufficed for the rest of us to get the message! :roll:

at the end of the day yes its the gearing that will make a difference but so what! working the box makes you feel like your 'really' driving a car, one that you can point and squirt like an automatic is 'boring' if you ask me! :lol:

no wonder dubbers clash with others if your going to be as naievely opinionated as this! on the CTR forum there are lots of people with Clio 172's, BMW M3's, Pug GTI180's, Impreza's and Evo's etc. but thats because people dont go slagging the rest off to alienate anyone non-Type R from being there!

how many forum members are on here that dont have a VW?? i suspect not many for the exact opposite reason!

as a moderator Kev i would have thought that you would have put a little more thought into your answers and be able to set a better example than what you just have! :roll:

Alex

also how does the car have a stingey portion of torque at 145lb/ft which i may add is pretty much the same as any 2L N/A car!??

not wanting to bait another tirade but isnt the CTR 2.0 turbo? how is it impressive that a 2.0 turbo has the same torque as a 2.0 N/A?

not wanting to bait another tirade but isnt the CTR 2.0 turbo? how is it impressive that a 2.0 turbo has the same torque as a 2.0 N/A?

no mate the CTR is N/A :wink:

Alex

The UK 1.6 vTEC and the JDM block are the same. The performance increases are due to higher RON fuel in Japan.

JDM ones came with air con which is another belt to drive and were slightly heavier than UK spec cars. The VTEC unit was slightly different as well (mechnical rather than electric)

Some of the JDM ones had LSD as well which would be handy.

My money would be on the CRX. They were allways very competitive at short track stuff. Great grip and lift off oversteer as well.

i had a '92 Civic VTi for 3 years and loved it, but i've had a turbo and VTEC so the supercharger was next :D

and the thing I love about jap cars is their efficiency, small engines with lots of power and reliability to boot. this is where i think VTEC fails in europe, people are used to cars breaking if you keep them in high revs, but in the 3 years I had the civic it never went wrong and I abused that car, holding 7K rpm around corners and changing just as the power dipped at just over 8K rpm. And there aren't many car companies that can get more than 100bhp per liter out of a N/A engine.

Well I've driven a CTR when it first came out for a full tanks worth of miles and liked it!

Regardless of peoples opinions, you have to accept they(Honda) are damn good engineers, and probably better than VW, does that mean there cars are better? course not.

But when you see a 250bhp n/a CTR you know these guys know there shi*!

I think with a VR it doesnt matter so much if you are a good driver or not, but to get the best out of the CTR you need to know your stuff, and on a track which is essentially what it's designed for,it is a very formiddable machine, just not as easily useable as a VR. I do sometimes wish the VR had slightly shorter 3rd and 4th gears.

when you see a 250bhp n/a CTR you know these guys know there shi*!

i know a guy who has a 280bhp n/a CTR that runs the 1/4 mile in 13.1 seconds consistently!!!

hes going to RWYB on Sept 25th at Santa Pod hoping to get into the 12 sec mark if anyone fancies a look! 8)

Alex

this I have to see!!!

I remember when I posted on another forum about 250+bhp n/a ctr's, everyone was like, thats pub talk mate!!! hahaha, jokers.

so what mods has he got then??

Think the 'Rex would win, although it would be pretty close. Obviously depends on the drivers etc, but as others have said, the VTEC is built to race. Really liked both my VTI's, especially the 1.8 which was more torquey. Agree with LHD-G60 that you do need to 'learn' to drive them- took me a while to get the best out of them. I found it was quite easy to get caught with your pants down in the 1.6 though, especially by TDI's etc.

The thing I didn't really like was the steering was quite numb, and you can't drive quickly in a more relaxed way (like you can with a VR or G60).

I found it was quite easy to get caught with your pants down in the 1.6 though

bigger windows? :lol: :lol:

Alex

this I have to see!!!

I remember when I posted on another forum about 250+bhp n/a ctr's, everyone was like, thats pub talk mate!!! hahaha, jokers.

so what mods has he got then??

im going to find out for you samm if i can but he keeps things quite hush hush as he has the fastest n/a CTR in the UK at the moment..... i know he uses a lot of JDM parts tho

Alex

good stuff, maybe just try and sneakily drop it into conversation like "actually, I'm thniking of keeping my CTR and want to take it up to 280bhp whilst being n/a, how do you propose I do that?" lol, Obviously I've heard of hondata, the cam and head work, and the exhaust, air filters and manifolds but would be interesting to find out exactley what he has.

Just to add to Carrots post. If the fact that being a newbie to a corrado forum means he is a newbie to the crx world, them i dunno what the world is coming to.

I too am a newbie, and for your information this thread was linked to,on CRX UK. Carrot and I may be newbies on this forum as we have never had a need to join, but we aint newbies to the crx world.

All carrot was trying to do was point out some mistakes, and help. But I guess you know all the answers. As for a B21 never heard of that either.

I've got a better idea, why don't you and this guy your going to race in his CRX go to RWUB on 25/9/05 at the pod and we can all see and watch how you two get on, and any else of us can join in too, I know it's not a track but it's still fun.

Just to add to Carrots post. If the fact that being a newbie to a corrado forum means he is a newbie to the crx world, them i dunno what the world is coming to.

I too am a newbie, and for your information this thread was linked to,on CRX UK. Carrot and I may be newbies on this forum as we have never had a need to join, but we aint newbies to the crx world.

All carrot was trying to do was point out some mistakes, and help. But I guess you know all the answers. As for a B21 never heard of that either.

and who is carrot??