Sign in to follow this  
Will

Timing chains - getting ready for the plunge!

I'm gearing up to replace the timing chains on my VR6 this weekend and just about to order the parts so have a couple of final questions...

I know this topic has been discussed to death on the forum and believe me I've read all threads plus the guide on the Vortex forum but just want to check a couple of things.

The parts I'm ordering are as follows:-

021 109 465B - Lower timing chain

021 109 467 - Lower timing chain tensioner

N905 350 01 - BOLTS x 2

021 109 469 - Lower timing chain guide rail

021 109 471 - Lower pin

021 109 503A - Upper chain

021 109 511 - Upper pin

021 109 507B - bolt

021 109 509E - tensioner

021 109 515A - mid-pin

021 109 513 - upper guide rail

N010 272 4 - hex bolt

N010 352 10 - hex bolt

N900 411 02 - o-ring for upper cover

N905 398 01 - flywheel bolts x 10

021 198 141AX - Clutch Kit

N101 010 01 - 12 point bolts x6

02A 141 180A - guide sleeve

085 311 113 - oil seal

N903 543 01 - round seal

(Or possibly installation kit 02A 198 101)

N903 554 04 - spline bolts x 3

02J 141 719B - clutch release arm

012 141 741 - spring

02A 141 777 - ball pin

G000 100 - grease

AMV 188 001 02 - sealant

Is there anything else that anyone would recommend changing or parts I have missed? I'm going with the MK4 parts where possible as advised and will get the flywheel resurfaced rather than buy a new one.

The second problem I've got is the clutch kit. Just phoned VW and they claim there isn't a clutch kit for my year ('93) and the parts have to be bought separately - £172.92+vat for plate, disc and release bearing. Is this right because I'll be going with an inferior GSF kit if the stealers are charging this much!

Not sure if Galaxy's use the same clutch but Ford want £91.80 for the plate and disc - then could get the release bearing from GSF.

Any help appreciated - thanks!

Clutch master cylinder:

ATE n/a 136440100 CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER CO 88-95/PA 88-93

From Cha 50P-000001 £75.00

GENUINE n/a 136440140 CLU. MAS. CYLINDER Passat 88 to 90We need chassis no.to order this pa

Upto Cha 50N-035000 £79.99

Clutch slave cylinder:

ATE n/a 137440040 CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER GO/JE/VE/PA/T4/SHARAN

£42.50

GUTTMANN n/a 137440041 CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER

/JE/VE/PA/T4/SHARAN

£29.99

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/S ... esults.asp

Are these the parts you need?

Can't think of anything else but I have just done the job and took lots of photos so may be able to help there if you need it.

Can't think of anything else but I have just done the job and took lots of photos so may be able to help there if you need it.

Post them up and get it stickied mate 8)

Erm, 2cc has done a hugely detailed and useful how-to on the entire process, that I need to finish and post up.

I'll try and get it done now for you, so it's in the Knowledge Base by the weekend

Erm, 2cc has done a hugely detailed and useful how-to on the entire process, that I need to finish and post up.

I'll try and get it done now for you, so it's in the Knowledge Base by the weekend

That'd be great if you get the time dinkus, even just the transmission removal/refitting would be a massive help.

Thanks, be great to pick your brains if I get stuck!

Any idea about the clutch anyone - did they change the design between '93-'94...?

Hi guys,

Dinkus has mailed it back to me but I still need to do a couple of edits - if I can find out how to...

stop press, just had msg telling me how so will try to post it very soon this evening

Cheers all

Will

Get a clutch from GSF they will be exactly the same as one from VW except much cheaper..That's what i'm going to do when i do my chain's and clutch

Ordered the parts from VW this afternooon but will be getting the clutch and two chains from GSF for obvious reasons:-

Lower chain

VW - £35.56

GSF - £15.60

Upper chain

VW - £71.65

GSF - £24.20

Clutch Kit

VW - £129.95

GSF - £86.00

Get a clutch from GSF they will be exactly the same as one from VW except much cheaper..

Not exactly mate, GSF sell either a SACHS or LuK kit, the VAG kit is a mixture of both manufacturers parts and more heavy duty than the pattern kits too!

Right, got everything off but had a nightmare with the head gasket - The top tensioner sprung back and went through the head gasket. As I've got the head off I'm thinking about getting into that as well. Any comments about the state of the valves/pistons? I thought 1 and 6 valves look quite carboned up....

Right, got everything off but had a nightmare with the head gasket - The top tensioner sprung back and went through it. As I've got the head off I'm thinking about getting into that as well. Any comments about the state of the valves/pistons? (pics above) I thought 1 and 6 valves look quite carboned up....

The trademark "1 and 6 syndrome" is clearly present on said piston crowns.... most of them look like that. If it's not burning excessive amounts of oil, put it back together and forget about it.

My engine looked just like that at 93K and it uses about a litre of oil every 3000 miles or so, which doesn't justify a rebuild.

Another quick question - I ordered the following parts for my timing chain replacement job as listed on another thread. Can anyone confirm that the guide sleeve already comes pre-fitted with the other two parts, i.e. no need for the other two.

02A 141 180A - guide sleeve

085 311 113 - oil seal

N903 543 01 - round seal

Thanks

Just a quick question i've read 2CC's guide but is it nessecary to remove the radaitor and front panel as i don't really want to disconnect any of the aircon setup..