Sign in to follow this  
emmafwa

A call too far ................

Recently I've seen a large number of people on the phone whilst driving and I was wondering if the police are still bothering and if anyone had been caught from the site?

You still get 3 points for doing it if you're caught AFAIK... I spend a lot of time driving for my job and I see so many people driving on phones - yesterday I was cut up by someone pulling out of a junction which was a no right turn while using their mobile! I beeped and he stuck his finger up at me - what a nice chap :roll:

I had a friend pulled over for using the phone recently, the police took his details and radioed them through. His cousin (a copper) happened to pick up the message and told the PC to let him go! PC said 'it seems it's your lucky day' and sulked his way back to his car!

i've noticed people using mobiles while driving again too, to be honest i havn't heard many cases of people getting stopped... I guess neither has anyone else so they're not scared of getting caught! I've got to admit i've done it from time to time, but i generally tell the person i'm talking to to 'hold on' and put the phone in my lap if i'm trying to negotiate a roundabout or simular, it deffinatly impares your driving ability.

There's times I wish the people would be a bit more afraid of getting nicked. I was nearly broadsided by a Sharan driving clear through a Stop line on a corner near my house (tricky sightlines as you're pulling out) and the driver had obviously been paying more attention to the conversation he was having on his mobile than he was to the road junction. :x It was only some sharp braking by me that prevented an accident.

I saw an accident a couple of years ago where a girl on her phone just ploughed straight into the back of a stopped car on a straight road...

But we're all forgetting - speed is the only road killer and driver incompetence, talking on the phone while eating a sandwich and doing your make up or driving like a loonatic are all fine as long as they're below the posted speed limit. :roll:

It really bother me too.

I had a blow out on the m/way in an empty transit and managed to keep control, if i'd been on the phone, no way, I'd have been a goner.

Only takes one thing like that to keep you paying attention!!

Unfortunately, I've noticed the cops ignoring a lot of "easy kills" with regard to fixed penalties lately, like tons of these chavvy motors with blue lights and neons all over them brazenly cruising around with the lights on, what's that about?

well to be quite honest i'd rather they ignored the chav'd up neon nova's and did some proper police work, but i see your point saysomestuff

I saw an accident a couple of years ago where a girl on her phone just ploughed straight into the back of a stopped car on a straight road...

A similar thing killed my brother's Mk 2 Golf a few years back. Stopped to turn right into a petrol station and some goon on his mobile just ran straight into the back of him.

What annoys me is all these people driving around in BMW's and Mercs who can afford a bloody expensive car, but can't afford £100 for a bluetooth handsfree kit! I've bloody got one, and I'm a student, who can't afford sh1t, and I don't use my phone much! Really gets on my t1ts! :mad: :mad:

Ok being honest I have done it myself from time to time, but another thing that well amazes me is people sending text messages while driving :nono: .

And dont even get me started on chavs and chavettes, the neons and souns systems are usually worth more than the car itself. :lol:

text messages while driving is just stupid... although its hard to resist the temptation to read one if you get one! I'm still one of those sad cases that gets excited when someone texts me :oops:

Is it not legal to text when you're driving? Sounds stupid, I know, but I'm sure I read that somewhere...something to do with the wording of the law when they introduced it.

I usually do pick up the phone when I am driving but put it on to speaker phone straightaway and then keep my hands where they would normally be if I was driving without a mobile phone, still works fine and they still hear what you are saying, but you still have both of your hands available.

But yeh, I see people blatantly talking on the phone as if being caught by the police doesnt bother them in the slightest, those people that are not bothered are the people I wish get caught the most.

I used to have a Bluetooth headset for my last phone, it was the best thing ever! Haven't got round to getting one for my current phone, but I really should.

Have to confess to taking the odd call when I'm driving, but I always keep it as short as possible.

A recent article in the British Medical Journal (as reported in Autocar this week) apparantly found after tests, that using hands-free kits is "not any safer" than holding the phone itself. Being suddenly caught in a situation with one hand on the wheel can happen to any of us whether we are using a phone or not: It's the fact that the driver is concentrating on something other than driving which is critical.

So...all car phones should be banned, basically :)

as should picking your nose while driving, waving at your pals, opening windows/sunroofs, messing with cd players and just about everything else that would cause you to take your hands off the wheel... including changing gears. heck lets just ban cars rather than addressing the real issue of muppet drivers!

You must not talk to passengers either, thats almost as bad as talking on hands free.

Maybe a large spike or red hot branding iron sticking out the middle of the steering wheel would help reduce collisions.

I've found that the most dangerous distractions are rather lovely ladies walking about with skimpy clothing on.

There should be a wall around all roads (Matrix stylee) to stop anything or anyone attractive possibly gracing the eyesight of anyone in control of a vehicle.

Or, just don't ogle...for too long ;) :lol: