Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

De cat lambda

Hi all,

Will be decatting the 'rado and I need a new lambda as well - although the correct part is on ETKA for my 92 16v (9A) with CAT, I'm wondering if I need to go for the one for cars without a CAT as there is no need to keep an oxygen content of 2% or whatever it's sposed to be.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

The ECU still expects to see a signal and won't be happy without it. How do you know you need a new probe?

No point replacing it if it ain't broken.

Gavin

We had no signal across the old one and replaced it with one that Yan had, a superseded part (same number - Q suffix) but the wire isnt long enough to route properly so we guessed it's the wrong part and I should get the correct suffix.

I have had that when engineering the wrong cat to fit my mk3. I took the wire out of some clips to make it reach. If the replacement probe works I'd leave it in. Extending the wires is always possible, as long as you wrap them to protect them. Heatshrink is good for that.

Just keep it away from the DP.

Gavin

I was thinking though - if the lambbda was giving the wrong readings, the car wouldn't be running crap from startup would it? As I thought the lambda signal took a while to settle

Also, do you reckon the Q suffix is the wrong part then?

Just use a standard VW probe..... some aftermarket ones are rubbish and don't last half as long as OE ones.

The car won't necessarily run like cr@p with a dead probe and it's ignored at wide open throttle anyway. You'll just run a bit rich.....

the one in there is OE, just has a Q suffix and the wires aren't long enough to route through the clamp,

ju's wondering if I actually need to get another or if this one is up to the job.

My old lambda probe was shot to bits and the car ran OK. However, following replacement with a VAG one, it runs well and I get an extra 60-70 miles out of a tank of petrol!

The car won't necessarily run like cr@p with a dead probe

when i bought my car i changed the exhaust and longlife discovered that the lambda wasnt plugged in when i took it there, the leads were all frayed (sp). the car was running suprisingly well, much to the suprise of the longlife fitter!.

still havent worked out why though.... :o

My understanding is because a lambda only measures a very narrow range of a/f so if you're already outside that range it won't do much at all anyway.

Hey guys,

I've got a decated 91 corrado g60 and my lambda's fecked, spoke to vag place and they wearn't sure which one i need... i got to numbers as follows.... for corrado's with cat 037906265B and corrado's without cat 037906265. whats the B signify? and which one do i go for?? it came with a cat but it don't got one no more!! its got a 4 way connector on the end if that helps at all??

any help would be really good

I think the B is just a design revision. So the later the number on the end the more recent the part design. The rest of the number is identical so it the same item, just revised.

Unfortunately a simple B can sometimes mean a complete redesign, or an extra pin, different shape, who knows with VW!

You will need the car specific probe unfortunately....

Okay I diconnected my Lambda and my MPG has got better and it seems to be running better with out it!! Do I really need to bother with a new one?? Will it pass MOT with out it?