Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Got a Court summons for not wearing a seat belt????

Ok so heres the story, in march i pulled out of the local vw dealership just after work i did not have my belt on and drove about 100 yards, a vectra comes up speeding behind me flashing lights etc and i stopped two coppers got out and pounced on my car checking everything it was all clear. One tyre was a little low on air and thats all, the coppers explained there were two offences they were doing me for and that the mattr would go to court if the court wanted to proceed it would go further and they gave me a producer.

I went an hour later to produce all my documents, six months down the line i get a summons to appear in court.

Now i dont deny the offences but what really gets to me is that in 25 years this is the first time i've ever had a run in with the law and in 8 years of driving the first time i get stopped and for the matter to end up in court seems a little excessive to me ......i kinda thought it was just a fine and that all .........

harsh!!

similar thing to a lad in work with me, £60 fine and 3 point for having his fogs on, he was on a b-road and turned them off when he got to a town but the copper had seen him!

asked for a warning but no!!!

could be a rookie cop as in my area the newbie`s are just starting on the beat, and have to learn to pull people up about trivial things

a girl i know (rookie) gave a fella the same points and fine for stopping on zig zags to pick his misses up from the chinese ( 20 seconds he was parked there)

Well, you live and learn. I always put my seat belt on before I drive off, because I don't feel secure without it on, but obviously I am in the minority as it seems to be the new 'cool' thing not to wear one.

Foglights on a country lane are OK with me, provided that there are no other cars about. In towns or built up areas people should be more considerate and aware of the rules, as the fog lights are very annoying, especially when again it is 'cool' to drive with side lights on (a waste of electricity should be dips) and fogs on = muppets, nick me please! [/rant mode]

i always wear a seatbelt its as natural as closing the car door now and never use my mobile while driving ,i think they should have gunned you down for that offence not mention the low air pressure , people like you should be taken off the streets ;-)

never use my mobile while driving

thats a biker thing! everybody i knows who rides never uses a mobile when they drive. i still cant believe you can smoke and drive though!

Similar thing to a lad in work with me, £60 fine and 3 point for having his fogs on, he was on a b-road and turned them off when he got to a town but the copper had seen him!

Yes it is anal but I get so :mad: with people that drive with their fogs on, after all they are called FOG lights for a reason.. However, what is worse is all the to55ers who leave the fogs on for a day after its been lightly misty as they can't see the big yellow light glaring at them.

There is just no need for it, if you need that much extra light then slow down.

Seatbelt is harsh though, I though it was just an on the spot fine for that sort of thing.

billinjahg60, aye you're right mate,its a pet hate of mine as is steering with your knees while eating crisps,reading maps and books , texting on the phone or cleaning your teeth while you drift into the other lane as i had on morning from a lorry driver :-(

An on the spot fine (£30 IIRC) should be issued for no seatbelt, the police sometimes offer you an appeal if you want (like they do with speeding fines), but obviously there is no point.

I can't believe the CPS would bother with that, you need to make sure that your details were logged when you provided them at the station, they may not have been noted as being produced, which would make sense regarding the summons.

the coppers explained there were two offences they were doing me for and that the mattr would go to court if the court wanted to proceed it would go further and they gave me a producer.

I went an hour later to produce all my documents, six months down the line i get a summons to appear in court.

Now i dont deny the offences but what really gets to me is that in 25 years this is the first time i've ever had a run in with the law and in 8 years of driving the first time i get stopped and for the matter to end up in court seems a little excessive to me ......i kinda thought it was just a fine and that all .........

What was the 2nd offence? Low tyre pressure?