Sign in to follow this  
steveh

Headlight Mod

you cant download the files, gives page not found on both files. Its like the files themselves have been removed but the links left.

right here is Andy Bryant's instructions for doing the headlight loom........somewhere i have a diagram as soon as i find it i'll post it up :wink:

Up-rating the headlight wiring loom on VW Corrado

Why do this?

The headlamps lose approximately 2 volts between the battery and the bulbs. The rather long route the loom takes before it gets to the bulbs and the lack of relays causes this. When I fitted this loom to my Corrado the voltage at the headlights dropped by only 0.1 volts thus allowing the full voltage from the battery to get to the headlights. The results were even more impressive when I added a pair of Philips Vision Plus H4 headlight bulbs & a pair of Xenon H3 spot light bulbs (Phillips & Osram bulbs came joint 1st followed by Ring bulbs in a recent Auto Express test).

You can up-rate just the dipped beam as because spots are fitted main beam is usually OK. To wire up the main & spotlights you do the same as for the dipped beam only this time you cut the wire that has 12 volts when main beam is on, this was the White & Black wire on my Corrado.

These guidelines are for a wiring a 1993 VW Corrado VR6 but could be converted to fit other VW’s that have this problem.

What do I need?

As a rough guide you will need the following: -

A Relay with 30-amp switching capacity

Quality fuse holder

20-amp fuse

Blade connectors, both the blue & yellow type for the relays & fuse holders

Ring connectors to connect to the battery

Enough 20-amp cable to run from the relay to both headlights and run from the relay to the battery.

Some light duty cable to run from the headlight to the relay and from the relay to the earth on the battery.

Cable ties

Insulation Tape

Heat shrink for the soldered connections (or use insulation tape)

All of the above should be good quality and should be fitted to a high standard as otherwise you may find the lights failing on a dark & wet country lane! If you have any doubt about fitting this you should take your car to a competent Automobile Electrician and have them do this for you.

Instructions

If your car has dim dip i.e. if when the sidelights are on and the engine is running the headlights glow dimly. You will need to disable this. On my car this was two yellow wires that came from a coil that was fitted on the chassis between the NS headlight and battery and was about 10cms long, this had a white plug, simply unplug this. If you don’t disconnect the dim dip coil the headlights will light (not dimmed) when the sidelights are on.

N.B. You don’t need dim dip to pass your MOT.

In front of the battery and behind the headlight you will see the loom that goes to the headlight bulb. Switch on the ignition and put the headlights on (not main beam) now using a test light or multimeter identify the wire that is now showing 12 volts, now turn off the lights and check that the 12 volts no longer registers. Now repeat this for the other headlight. This wire was Yellow & Black on my car but may not be the same on all Corrado’s. (Before proceeding further it is wise to disconnect the battery) You should now cut these wires leaving enough room so that you can connect to either end of the cut wires.

I removed both headlamps & the grill as this gave the best access. Headlamps are held in place by 3 screws, the instructions to remove headlamps are in the owners manual. The grill is held in place by 3 plastic tabs.

The first wire that you cut that comes from the bulb side should be soldered & insulated to the 20-amp wire to the terminal 87 on the relay. I fitted my relays by cable tying them to the main battery cable. You will need to connect another wire to terminal 87, this should then be routed to the other headlight, I ran mine behind the grill and connected with cable ties. This wire should then be soldered and insulated to the cut wire on the bulb side. The other end of wire that you have cut should then be taped back into the loom with insulation tape.

Now the wire that you cut first that does NOT come from the bulb but the other cut end should be connected to the thinner wire and then connected to terminal 86 on the relay.

Terminal 85 then needs to be connected to a good earth, I used the negative terminal on the battery.

Terminal 30 should be connected via a 20-amp fuse to the positive terminal of the battery, I would suggest using a ring terminal, as this will give the best connection.

Reconnect the battery.

Your dipped beam should now be far better. If you measured the voltage before fitting the loom, measure it again as you should see a good improvement in voltage at the headlights.

WARNING. These guidelines are for fitting standard wattage bulbs only, if higher than 55/60 watt bulbs are to be used then the wiring, fuses and amount of relays will need to be up-rated accordingly.

found the diagram :wink: ......well one of them have another more detailed one somewhere :?

All too much trouble for me ...Being one for the easy life I bought a kit from trimsport and fitted that. Sod the expense make it easy on yourself.

Cheers Roddy, the diagram was exactly what i was needing.

Steve

your welcome :wink: .......though the real credit belongs to Andy Bryant afterall he documented it all and did the diagram :D

I got one of gavins looms flippin fab !

me too :D

i got a loom of gav for the caddy ... 100% good cheers mate.... contact him as he is now the loom-daddie.. :lol:

We could make it a sticky Chris.

Trouble is that we end up with 12 sticky topics and they fill up half the forum.

What does everyone else reckon - is this thread useful enough to stickyfy?

Guys here is the problem:

I have a CDN Spec 93 vr6, with really bad headlights. Want to buy euro spec lights off ebay.de... then looms from gavin. If he makes the looms for euro spec lights, will I need no more mods for the lights to work? IE. Can I just take out the old lights, install the euro lights with the euro looms?

I hope so :?

Maciek

Maciek, I'll take a look at the Bentley and make sure there are no strange anomalies with your standard set up, that would make things awkward.

I know that New Dimensions do Euro lights and looms. Maybe their website will tell you more?

Gavin

Unless there is something about the lights fitted to North American vehicles that's not documented on ETKA, the only part that's different should be the lenses.

Uprating the loom will work in all cases.