Sign in to follow this  
steveh

Headlight Mod

have just made up and fitted loom onto my c what a difference it makes even on standard bulbs cheers guys :D

Hi,

I'm not electrically minded so i'd be getting an auto sparky to fit mine, will this be straightforward with your kit or is he likely to suck air through his teeth and say 'big job this mate'? lol Cheers.

it should take a sparky less than 10 minutes to fit it... 20 if he does it neatly and routes it behind the grill infront of the radiator... 8)

Gavin - Fitted my loom yesterday, it's amazing! compared it to my friends corrado, and the difference is huge!! He'll be in touch shortly!

Thanks,

Baz.

Sorry if if this reply is a bit late but i was just wondering if the full beam lights can be uprated by adding a wire into the uprated dipped beam wiring loom? Or do i need a whole new set of wires, relay etc?

just fitted my loom from gav, as posted in good salesman thread

just a couple of things tho`:

1. when i click my lights on at the switch without the ignition on the lights do not lightup, is this correct?

2. what should i put over the connections as they look a bit likely to get wet

other than that very impressed so far come on night time!!!!!

thanks again gav

ben

You need to disconnect the dim dip resistor coil it's the orange or in some case white plug in front of the battery it will have 2 yellow wires coming out of it 1 with a black trace and it leads to the resistor coil attactched to the inner wing just behind the N/S headlight ( you cant miss it)

hope that helps benji

as for the wires I would tape them up with electrical tape to avoid them getting corroded by the damp stuff!! :)

just fitted my loom from gav, as posted in good salesman thread

just a couple of things tho`:

1. when i click my lights on at the switch without the ignition on the lights do not lightup, is this correct?

2. what should i put over the connections as they look a bit likely to get wet

other than that very impressed so far come on night time!!!!!

thanks again gav

ben

1. Only the sidelights should come on with the ign off.

2. They don't usually get wet cos the face the wrong way. You could spray some waxoyl on them if you like.

Gavin

right now i`m confused

with dimdip connected

ign off - no lights on any click

ign on - 1st click - dip

2nd click - works ok dip and main

with dimdip disconnected

ign off - no lights on any click

ign on - 1st click- no lights

2nd click - works ok dip and main

any idea??

check your sidelight fuses... could be as simple as that... ;)

sidelight fuses ( 7&8 ) both fine

any other ides, both sidelight bulbs? i`m sure they were working yesterday??/

ah, could actually be your sidelight bulbs have blown as you would have had dim-dip before so you would not have noticed that they weren't working...

ok thanks henny,

off to try out new bulbs...........

............. spot on thanks for that. 8)

Just fitted Gavin's headlight loom tonight. Very quick and easy to do. Combined with Halfords 100w Rally bulbs, it is flipping awesome!

Cheers Gavin!

ok, i have been told by a traffic copper that you can not have bulbs on a road car more the 55w. as when they do the mot they can tell they are not road legal bulbs?? was i told correct or not. as i have the looms off h100vw just wondered if i can put the 100w bulbs in? :?

benji16v, A qucik side light check, turn off the ignion and remove key, put indicator stalk into left signal postion, left front side light should be on, do the same with the right position.

Err, well strictly speaking, yes they are illegal. The 100w bulbs i've bought say 'off road use only'. Not sure how easily they could tell, especially if the MOT is done during the daylight, but if they fail it, I'll just stick the old bulbs back in.

MOT doesn't care how bright your lights are, as long as the beam pattern is correct... ;)

It'd be difficult for the police to prove you are running illegal bulbs 'cos they won't be able to take 'em out if they're on 'cos they'll be too hot to touch! ;) :lol:

Personally, I stick with legal bulbs and one of Gav's looms... makes most new cars headlamps look poor to be honest! 8)

have heard that there can be problems with running 100w bulbs as they get hotter than the standard ones causing the chrome plating inside the headlight bowl to blister and come off...

ok, i have been told by a traffic copper that you can not have bulbs on a road car more the 55w. as when they do the mot they can tell they are not road legal bulbs?? was i told correct or not. as i have the looms off h100vw just wondered if i can put the 100w bulbs in? :?

Was this a 'winter safety check' type conversation or one down the pub? For your police friends information, main beam is 60Watts anyway on a Corrado. So I would like to question his expert knowledge :roll:

Yeah the police have ways of checking light intensity but the chances of them wheeling the tester out are slim to fcukall.

I think you would get away with 80/100W bulbs in the headlights so long as they are set up correctly. These are the max you can use with one of my looms anyway. You need to retain the std spotlight bulbs too.

Also, how are they going to legislate against the 25/30/50% brighter bulbs that produce the same 55/60 Watts????? A Watt is a measure of Voltage and Current, not brightnness.

Give it a DGI and fit what you like.

:lol:

Gavin

cheers for clearing that up gavin, it was some copper down the pub that heard me talking to a mate that has bought a corrado, i was telling him about how good your loom was mate with 100w bulbs in, when this copper said you cant do that, :D

Would he rather come and drag you out of a hedge you didn't see or fit some bigger bulbs? :mrgreen:

You should ask him for a reference next time so you can look it up for yourself.

Gavin

If your lazy, Halfords sell a RING fitting kit for spot and fog lights which can be used for the headlight mod. The kit is approx £12 and includes 30 amp relay, fuse, more than enough wire, plus interior switch if you want. I fitted this kit and the voltage at my lights rose from 10.9 to 13.8 volts - engine running of course. Safe lighting, Martin