Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Anyone owned driven a Mk2 GTD/TD?

I'm thinking of getting a Mk2 *edit* GOLF/*edit*, ideally a GTD (80bhp) or possibly a TD (55bhp). Just wondering if anyone's owned/driven one on the route to Corrado ownership. If so, can anyone tell me what it's like to drive and if they can be tweaked upward in terms of hp?

Cheers,

Tom

Yup, it was Beeftech that had one for sale, so hopefully he'll be able to answer my question. Thanks for your help nonetheless guys,

Tom

I had a GTD as my first car about 4 years back, was a brilliant little car, and it went really well.

My sisters got one(aswell as a vr), but hers doesnt go particularly well. Its done over 200k tho

I had a mk2 golf td, I didnt know it was only 55bhp! fair bit of turbo lag and very agricultural but great little motor, 205 TD slightly better tho all round IMO.

I have a jetta TD for driving around in when the rest of my cars are broken :D (ie most of the time then :roll: )

You can turn up the fuel and turbo boost quite easily to give more power (and smoke)

They are not exactly frighteningly quick but can keep up with the traffic and are very economical. Mine is capable of an indicated 115mph 8)

pics: http://cars.vage.ie/invision/index.php?s=67b84fefe7f442940d03b36474198eb7&act=ST&f=29&t=5780&st=0

What is it you want from this next car Tom? Economy, a MK2 with economy, a VW with economy????

Got to be summat better than a 15 year old Golf that'll fit the bill. :mrgreen:

Gavin

A Mk2 with economy pretty much sums it up :-) It's got to be diesel (preferably turbo) because of the close proximity and low price of bio-fuel, and I'm trying to keep it VW. I'm really not a fan of anything past the Mk2 in Golf terms, so that's ideal. Considering a 205 Diesel as well though...

Most important thing is price though. One of the main reasons I'm selling though comes in K.5 size and has a diamond in it, and so I need to free up some cash....

Cheers,

Tom

TomB, I know that one mate... (only it's a K and needs to be platinum...)

Golf GTD engine can be modded quite well and is a well strong block... there's one nutter who has a white one that's kicking out around 200BHP and scares people at the Pod regularly! He says it still gives good fuel consumption most of the time too! :lol:

there is a gtd forsale near me and im tempted for a run around, 80bhp u say, thats quite good for an old oil burner

ghee60, that's according to what I've been able to find out. None near me on Autotrader, but I'm prepared to wait.... Henny, nice to know they can be tweaked cheers, although I wouldn't go that far...probably. Good luck in the hunt for the one ring :-)

Only just seen this thread, sorry for not posting sooner!

Hardest Thing about a GTD is finding one for decent money! There are a few on the Trader website but tend to go for a Grand or More!!!! Crazy prices! :shock:

They can do high mileages no probs, mine had 180K on the clock when I sold it! Pulled well, would cruise great at 70-80mph, bit noisy if you pushed it!

You can turn them into a GTI lookalike dead easy too! Just add some alloys and lower it! A guy on Briskoda did this to mine:

goof.jpg

Anything else you wanna know just ask???

beeftech, cheers for posting that up, I know what you mean about finding one. There was one on the trader going for £1900! Just had pics sent to me from someone of clubgti though, so some progress... Yours looks very nice indeed, and I have to confess that lowering will probably be on the agenda if I get one :-)

Anything to look out for apart from the usual rust/smoke etc? :)

Cheers,

Tom

It's Just a MK2 Golf, so just the normal things! If you can find one with PAS thats a bonus as they are damn heavy at standstill, not so bad on the move!

PAS can be retrofitted though, they do use oil, but not huge amounts! Only ever see them in White or Red too!

Mine put out a cloud of smoke on start up but once running it was not smokey at all! Make sure the clocks etc are working 'cos it is nigh on impossible to find another set!

The glowplugs are quite slow in comparrison to modern diesels, My vRS can be fired up as soon as you turn the key but the GTD needed about 15-20sec from cold before the lights went out!

Manual choke aswell, just remember to push it in or you'll use loads of fuel (Made that mistake) Check the 'box too as I believe these are exclusive to the GTD and it might be difficult to source another!

Also check it has the undertray that fits underneath the engine bay! Good if it has as they are about £300 from VAG! Mostly quietens the clatter from the motor but also keeps sh*te out of the engine bay!

Can't think of owt else! Good luck with your search though!

beeftech, and I have to confess that lowering will probably be on the agenda if I get one :-)

Tom

I have some MK2 lowering springs in the garage. Made by Nothelle.

Gavin

I have some MK2 lowering springs in the garage. Made by Nothelle. Gavin

I'll let you know when I get one...

beeftech cheers for the advice, that'll be dead useful when I go hunting properly.

Cheers,

Tom

blackcat, thanks for the link, I'll read up on that later... Not_Aircooled_or_Taxfree, cheers mate, I've done a national search, and the one in Hampshire looks tidy, but over 200 miles away! The waiting game commences :-)

How about an Ibiza?? I have a 1.9 NA and is basically a MK2 Golf! Even has power steering. They will be cheaper than Golfs and a bit more refined as its the 1.9 diesel rather than the old 1.6.