Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

Polishing How To

Hey all,

I have a dremmel with the 800,000 piece accessory set but I have no clue what the hell al the bits do.

I wonder if anyone could be kind enough to explain which bits I would use in which order to mirror polish something. Even better, a mirror polishing how to covering the basics.

Thanks.

A dremel would be best for the smaller areas hard to get to by hand. The larger parts would be best done with varying grades of emery cloth, start with coarse and then work down. I did that to a 16V inlet years ago and it took a week to do!

I wouldn't use the dremel grinding wheels on alloy as they can be a bit severe. You should have some little drum wheels with emery cloth on them? They'd be best and then you can use the white buffer pads with some Autosol to get a mirror shine.

GIXXERUK, interesting that you reccomend jewelers rouge.. i work in a jewellers so use this regularly. I always think when polishing rings etc that i should be polishing car stuff!

A dremmel + 800,000 piece kit will be added to my christmas list!

the best polishing how to is to pm lowvento give him your addres let him pick the bits up have them delivered back a week later polished to a mirror finish for an absolute bargain price!

the best polishing how to is to pm lowvento give him your addres let him pick the bits up have them delivered back a week later polished to a mirror finish for an absolute bargain price!

Agreed, but that kind makes the dremmel redundant, I'd like to learn the basics and have a crack, if I have no joy then I'll get someone else to do it. The C is a hobby for me so I want to do as much work myself as I can.

yeah was only jesting you need an abrasive first then ass kev says get les and les abrasive on ebay you can buy the soap but tbh the dremel is only useful for tiny areas the best bet is a drill or bench grinder attachment as you also need to put a lot of pressure on.

yeah was only jesting you need an abrasive first then ass kev says get les and les abrasive on ebay you can buy the soap but tbh the dremel is only useful for tiny areas the best bet is a drill or bench grinder attachment as you also need to put a lot of pressure on.

he he thought as much Billy boy :lol:, so i cant really go far wrong if i just keep increasing the grade of paper and then get some polishing compuind on there