Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Where have my brakes gone

Well im after some more advice, seems to be a case of fix one things, brake another.

I recently had the car in to have the rear bushes replaced which (touch wood) has resolved the rear camber issue I had, and has transferred the handling of the car. As the garage has had the rear beam off them were unable to save the rear brake pressure valve, they have fitted a new one along with new flexy hoses.

My problem now is the brakes are pretty scary, before the pedal was firm from the top of its travel and reach max braking pressure by about half travel. Now the brakes don’t react until the pedal reaches about half travel and max pressure is reached near the floor. If you pump the pedal there is no change. I’ve also noticed there is a slight change to the clutch biting point, that too is a touch lower now.

Does it sound like there is still trapped air, or will the system recover with some use?

Sounds like they did not keep hold the brake pressure regulator in the "open" position while bleeding the brakes, so there will still be air in the system.]

I'd be bleeding them again if I was you.

Going back in Tuesday for another bleed, id probably do it myself but i paid them for the job. Thanks guys you're all sanity savers.

Before you take it back for a re-bleed, a little theory Balance Motorsport told me is to disconnect one of the front ABS sensors (on the suspension turrets) to disable the ABS and then find a quiet road and lock the brakes up deliberately a few times. This apparently will get all the old cruddy fluid out of the ABS pump and into the system and will be replaced with fresh fluid when they bleed it. Get them to use DOT 5.1 (not 5), even if it costs a little extra. This will raise the boil point from 180 degrees (normal DOT4) to 250ish and reduce fade.

Tek,

I gather they have bled all 4 wheels of the car? If so then as mentioned above it'll be the rear brake valve airlocked.

Also, it's like they've let the level of the fluid reservoir fall too far and let air into the clutch master cylinder (its shared with the brake) they'll have to bleed the clutch as well. Brings to mind a problem I had when bleeding the Rado brakes, I couldn't get any pressure until I'd bled the brake master cylinder!

Lots of people use it.. used to have DOT5.1 in my G60 with no problems..

What exactly isn't road legal about a certain type of brake fluid?!

Lots of people use it.. used to have DOT5.1 in my G60 with no problems..

What exactly isn't road legal about a certain type of brake fluid?!

?? like to know myself.

On a serious note, do not mix Dot 5 with any other type of brake fluid (Ie don't use it) as it will dissolve all your brake seals if they have had different fluid in them.

Dot 5.1 is fine but dot 5 is silicon which is baaaad

5.1 is road legal, it won't damage owt (well, I wouldn't go splashing it on your paintwork...) and it'll last longer.

Mind you, I think you'd have to look pretty hard to actually find anyone that sells DOT 5 fluid, becuase it's crap.