Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

Screws in my Tyre!!

Just popped up the shop to get some stuff - got home, parked up, got out and heard a funny hissing noise. 'Is it a snake?' I thought to myself, gingerly approaching the rear of the car. 'Oh no, its just a screw embedded in my nice new (1500 miles) rear tyre, that's much better than a poxy old snake!!'

So, it's pouring down, and I have to change the wheel (I need the car tommorrow). I'm now soaked - I've got a cr*ppy space saver on the back that'll go to an amazing 50 mph, and I'm totally hacked off.

Anyhoo - rant over - anyone think this is repaireable, or is it new tyre o'clock? Not even sure of the best place to take it if it is.

Someone, please help me - before I drown my sorrows with a few pints of Stella!!!!

Yep that's repairable. If it was in the sidewall you'd be fecked. They insert a cone shaped peice of rubber into the hole and the interior air pressure pushes the cone into the hole to keep the tyre inflated.

As above, about £10-£15 should cover it.

Space savers - I ran one for a week on mine and erm, I didn't stick to the 50mph limit, double that in fact, and it was fine ;-)

Ah but would a car pass an MOT with 4 space savers on?

Dunno what one of them is anyway, I have a full size spare..

They will normally repair it providing that the puncture is in the centre 3/4 of the tyre. If it's towards the edges they will normally tell you it's a new tyre.

kevhaywire said

Space savers - I ran one for a week on mine and erm, I didn't stick to the 50mph limit, double that in fact, and it was fine

Yep I had one on this week (last of solitudes being refurbed) and forgot all about the 50mph max - I was overtaking two trucks at 85 when I remembered! Didnt feel any odd behaviour from it any way, but drove the rest of a longish trip, including several miles nose-to-tail in traffic jam at below 60 and got 33mpg overall.

Found a screw in my tyre on thursday, only had it fitted on tuesday, it had probably done 50 miles . Luckily it was a very short one and in the deep tread so i didn't puncture it.