Sign in to follow this  
Storm

Golf VR6 v C VR6

Anyone know the difference in the handling of a Golf VR6 v C VR6 if they both had say a Koni/Eibach setup.

I really need air con, spend too much time in the car and am looking at a Golf Highline. Trouble is I adore my C, but dont want to spend £1500 on air con.

It depends upon what kind of driving you like doing. The C's chassis has a longer, more controllable understeer and much more torque. The G is more boxy, not as taut, but oddly it always delivers. So I'd say the C is better at feedback.

The engines. Well there lies the difference. I was on a fast road on the border of France and Switzerland many moons ago and was doing around the ton when a mad G VR6 turned up and stayed on my tail. It didnt matter until he woke up my wife and child with his headlights. So I hit the floor, as did he. In 30 seconds with a full car I had pulled to past 145 and he ran out of bottle first. From what I could see he was being buffeted much harder than the C at high speed. So the extra power of a 2.9 and also shape perhaps made a difference. Even the ladies were pleased .....

I chose to fit my air con by waiting for some of the bits to turn up on ebay, and finding the rest from the US vortex forums. It was worth it. And believe me it makes almost no difference to the available torque from the engine. It depends on whether you wanna get your hands dirty.

I believe that somone tried and managed to retrofit an G4 version of the aircon into a C. If anybody remembers that link perhaps you could investigate it.

An important point of difference is that the C has a narrower rear axle which makes it corner much better!

The C had the lowest coefficient of drag in it's class when made and for many years after and the stability is asserted with the dynamic rear spoiler!

Corrado wins every time!!!!

I love my VR6!

Chris

The Golf is easier to drive I would say as an every day car. The C is much lower and getting in and out all the time is a pain. My friend sold his VR6 and went to a golf Highline. Aparantly there are 2 types of highline engines, OK, maybe not the engine but there is definitely 2 different sorts of power out puts on them.

There are nice but I prefer the C look, the Golf just looks like another Golf but he sold his C as he couldnt do as many mods to his C than the gold he said. Or it had something to do with the Golf looking like a better base to start modding.

He knows what hes on about, he had 2 featured golfs in PWV, Redline and Max Power. He works for sunseeker and all of his cars were mint!

I saw a VR6 shoot out and the newer Golf VR6 highlines have a different ECU setup. 2 cars, both highlines gave 190bhp. It was either PVW or The Golf

I had a bit of a tussle with my mates Golf VR6 down a lovely selection of twisty A-roads the other night and it was splendid.

Surprisingly evenly matched motors. He was having a bit of a game keeping up round the bends and looked to be leaning quite a bit in my rear view mirror.

If I'd been the one behind I'd say that I would have easily kept with him but would've had a bit of a game trying to get past. :D

The Golf VR6 shares many of the C VR6's running gear, so if both were fitted with Koni/Eibachs, there wouldn't be a lot in it I suspect. The Golf carries around the same weight but somehow, the chassis is always at odds with the engine, or so I've experienced at least. The C and it's VR engine work more in harmony with eachother, especially if you've got decent engine mounts and a good rear anti-roll bar. Front wheel pitching is greatly reduced with both. The C has levels of feel and communication the Golf can only dream of, though.

Re the Golf engines. The pre-highlines had the AAA engine but the Highline has ABV throttle body and inlet manifold, not to mention being fully OBD2 compliant. These engines produce 185bhp time after time. VW never publically disclosed that.

Kev

An important point of difference is that the C has a narrower rear axle which makes it corner much better!

Really? Sorry...I'm not buying it...

In two cars set up identically bar the rear track width, the wider rear track will give a cornering stability advantage over the narrower...it's simple physics.

Corrado wins every time!!!!

Everything else being eqial...power, weight etc...there's not much in it. The Golf has a slightly stiffer shell from what I remember...in the hands of equally skilled drivers...it would be a close call.

Of course, both would get shown the door by an equally well set up Vento (assuming all other factors were equal) as the Vento has a stiffer shell again, better weight distribution etc.

Pity the Vento fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down!

I was gonna say actually, if it comes down to it, you'd be better off putting a Vento against a Corrado really. (I've got both ;-) ) The Corrado has a much higher top end and seems to handle better, but the Vento is certainly no slouch. It cost me about a third of the price of the Corrado, and probably about half the price of the equivelant Golf too.... Plus if you're canny you can get them with AirCon....

Just a quick one...

As you may have noticed from my sig, I drive a Highline. The engine is more powerful than the standard Golf VR6 (confirmed many times on rolling road days) due to and electrinic throttle body and different ECU map. The output from a Highline engine is more like the 190bhp seen from the C. As for the handling, a freind has a C with the same FK coilover setup as I have. We have yet to find a road that can seperate the cars at all.

At the end of the day I'd say drive one straight after the other and then choose the one like the most. You certainly won't be dissapointed with either!

HTH

There is only one thing that does it for me..... and its this:

How many Golfs do you see on the road

against how many Corrados ........

8) :lol:

I bought the Corrado not only for its speed/ handling/etc - but because 50% of the UK population dont even know what it is!!!

I like that - I dont want to be seen in something thats common and yes Im a snob :p

Scott

Scott, Well you will feel sick when you go to the CCGB day!! LOL. You will be surrounded by C's

Yup but how often does that happen *;)

I live up North and I have only seen about a dozen Corrados in 5yrs!!!! - I see a Golf every ten mins :p

Scott

I bought the Corrado not only for its speed/ handling/etc - but because 50% of the UK population dont even know what it is!!!

Yeah Scott, my Girlfriend thought I drove a Delorean till I put her straight! :shock:

I reckon that's more like 90% don't know what one is!

When I was looking for a Corrado Storm about 6 years ago my mate was always talking back to me about Seat Cordobas - only recently found out that that's what he thought I was talking about!!!!