Sign in to follow this  
Trig

trig's 94 OBD2 VR6 - New Wheels!!!! (...finally)

Not Nick's Speedlines though! (yet)

I've fallen for a new love in kev's Compomotive MO's.

Never seen them in the flesh but a few choice pics did it for me so I decided to take the plunge and they turned up today. Managed to fit them before my girlfriend got home and she hasn't noticed! What she'll make of the big speedline shaped pile in the garage is another thing though...

The Comp's are really light weight, look seriously sexy but not to blingy, nice and OEM+, not to disimilar to the Storm wheels (name escapes me). I definately prefer the look of 16's to 15's and can't really see myself going back right now.

Another bonus is that kev has only had them a few months from brand new so they are in perfect condition with rainsports all round.

So here's the pics will be interested in your comments. The ride height is slightly to high for my liking but i'm looking to get that sorted in the near future, spring caps at the front for a start. Also need to lower the circlip on the rear struts a notch or two.

Cheers

Trig

They just seem to suit a green car better for some reason though i've no idea why! Wheel / paint combo's are so confusing!

Nice choice mate - looks awesome!

Bl00dy ell, they look MILES better on your car mate......no fair...sob sob :-(

As Jim says, paint and wheels are a difficult blend to get right. Ice grey is not a good colour for certain wheels it seems!!

They look absolutely superb mate, make the car look taught and ready for some B road action, glad they found an appreciative home 8)

Another bonus is uber brake clearance should you take the plunge and get some real brakes on that car of yours ;-)

yes, unfortunately the shallower 45 section tyres don't do the ride height any favours, visually.....it's worse still with 17s!

If you can find some H&R coilovers at a good price, you will absolutely adore the handling on those wheels....and the ride quality, and it'll tidy up the arch gap without going stupid low and feck up the dynamics.

The rainy sports are good in the wet aren't they? :lol:

Thanks guys, i'm really pleased with them.

Amazing how much more brake clearance there is over the speedlines, it was a pretty tight fit on them but the 288s are dwarfed by the Comps! They do look good with the green but I reckon most wheels look awesome on your car kev, especially the speedlines.. 8)

Only took the car for a quick drive down the road but i'll properly 'test' out the wheels tomorrow and report back differences.

It is looking like coilovers are the way forward, wish I got konigsports to begin with really. If i'm going to upgrade now though I might as well go for H&Rs or something similar, that's a few months away though!

Good man! The right C/overs make a huge difference but when you're ready, let me know, I'll give you some tips. You might also want to consider a rear ARB and rear brace too, again, they take a lot of slop out of the ageing shell and give superb cornering feel and grip.

The 3rd pic really does it for me. I think they look better than the Speedos to be honest.....certainly on your colour car. It's the BBS solitude you're thinking of....they also look a spitting image of the Speedline 2108, which Jim had on his old G60, another great looking wheel.

Your motor now just reminds me of my old G60 on the Speedline Comp2's - they're such similar wheels! :)

Trigg, a solid second choice mate ;-)

dragging my feet a bit ar'nt I! Those look fab, purposful, kinda serious looking and flocking light arnt they!!

The drivers choice ;-) very nice indeed

Trigg, a solid second choice mate ;-)

dragging my feet a bit ar'nt I! Those look fab, purposful, kinda serious looking and flocking light arnt they!!

The drivers choice ;-) very nice indeed

Yeh they are light as hell, didn't notice much difference when lugging them and the speedlines about.

They are second choice but I love them so much now i've got them i'm not so sure anymore! I still want the speedlines though just out of principal!! :lol:

:( Not feeling them Trig, though i'm sure that's of no suprise to you!

spring caps at the front for a start

I seem to remember Nick saying that lowering spring caps made the ride quality schitt? It deffinately looks a bit high now so coilovers are the order of the day :)

i was saying to Kev i reckon you could have some flush centre caps made up for the mo's, and then they would look even better!

ive seen people make them for abt's, quite a different look but i recon it would work on these nicely.

Not feeling them Trig, though i'm sure that's of no suprise to you!

Yeh I know they're not your thang really! Still keeping the speedlines for some 15 action when the moment suits me. It really isn't worht selling speedlines IMO, always nice to have a spare and i'd only get £100 anyway...

So come on then Nick, what are the lowering caps like? I intend to have the rears down a few clips, kev reckons offside should be middle notch and nearside the notch down from middle to level it off.

Not sure about centre caps, I kinda like it the way they are I think. Centre caps could really change the way the wheel looks alltogether. The exposed bolts look nice and racingy! :lol:

Looks really good, Trigg- good choice!

Kev, do a search and see how many times you've said 'uber' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just been down to RK engineering for the day.

The boys have done me proud and fitted lowering spring caps to the front and dropped the rear strut a few notches, looks soooo much better now. The rear in particular is heaps better - The nearside strut has the circlip on the bottom notch and the offside is the one up from bottom, this seams to level up the rear nicely whilst keeping it ever so slightly higher than the front.

This is all great as it means i'm no longer tempted to splash out on coilovers, i'm perfectly happy with the ride height now.

Coilovers Schmoilovers... :)

Another thumbs up to RKE :thumbleft:

I only just realised you'd bought kevs rims!

they look even more like solitudes on your car mate, i really like them!

Cheers Chris :)

Oh and another thing... the boys worked out a cheats way of ajusting the circlip that holds the spring platform without even taking the wheel off!

Jack the car up and let the wheels hang then lever the spring platform up from both sides using the tyre to lever off. Then simply get someone else to unclip the clip and move it down (a pair of long nosed pliers do the trick). You can do both sides in 10 minutes as long as the clip isn't a bugger to shift.

Only reason I say is that i've seen a couple of threads that suggest removing the entrie strut etc.

Nice wheels Trig, good move but I hear what you're saying about the racing Speedo's :wink:

Pity you don't want to sell your 15's . . .

Peakz, I think I might actually. My bank balance isn't to healthy at the mo and I really can't see myself wanting to take the Comps off. I'll have a think about it and maybe get some pics up tomorrow. Did the speedos for a year, can always buy another set at a later date.

Just had a great drive home, loving it. :D

Yes, yes I do as it happens.

Just measured up and she's 59.7cm at the front and 61.5 at the back which is slightly nose down which I like.

Easier if I do it like this...

Before...

DSC02233-1.jpg

After...

DSC02236-1.jpg

EDIT: Also notice how my wonky gate is angling more towards the car now in admiration. :)