Sign in to follow this  
Trig

trig's 94 OBD2 VR6 - New Wheels!!!! (...finally)

Thank god for that. Only one more day's worth of travelling ( and a large bill ) and it'll all be over mate :lol:

Glad it's all done though and you'll be able to join the convoy to Bude! 8)

Yeh one more day of travelling itself is a large bill... £70 train to Leamington then £40 worth of Super to get me home again! :(

Trying to devise a cunning plan for getting up there for less than £70... not come up with anything yet though!

Looking forward to 23rd though! :)

Yeh one more day of travelling itself is a large bill... £70 train to Leamington then £40 worth of Super to get me home again!

Yeah, I suppose if you add up just the travelling costs of getting there and back 3 times it's a small fortune :( . Glad it's all sorted for you mate, we'll ahve to do another comparison on the 23rd, my car is dramaticaly different to when you last drove it

we'll ahve to do another comparison on the 23rd, my car is dramaticaly different to when you last drove it

I look forward to it then! Hopefully mine will be a bit different as well!

Good stuff Trig, She'll be worth the wait. Bet it feels like christmas, you know the presents are there you just cant play with em yet.

Good stuff Trig, She'll be worth the wait. Bet it feels like christmas, you know the presents are there you just cant play with em yet.

LOL - something like that, only I didn't get the presents on Christmas day & i've got to pay for them! :lol:

Cheers guys.

Good news matey... I know how it feels to have a C that takes it's time coming back from workshops - always worth the wait in the end though ;)

steve @, think i'll save the RR until the next CF one, i'll let you know about the manifold once i've got it home...

Wont he put it on the rollers for you in the week? cant be any hassle for him to do, and you'd wanted it done anyway.

I'd have thought it's the least he can do as a gesture..

glad its all sorted though bud, catch you soon.

Yeh one more day of travelling itself is a large bill... £70 train to Leamington then £40 worth of Super to get me home again! :(

Trying to devise a cunning plan for getting up there for less than £70... not come up with anything yet though!

Looking forward to 23rd though! :)

Is the 23rd the day you're supposed to be picking it up? I live in Leam so happy to pick you up from the train station and take you over to Stealth! I know its only 8 miles or so from the station to Stealth but if I can get out of work then happy to help!

Ah - 23rd is a Sunday and I think the CCGB AGM.. looks like my offer is non-usable as i'll be up at that! :(

Cheers.

bristolbaron, yeh I could get it put on but i'd rather save it till the next meet so I can be on the DVD!

I'm going up tommorow morning so i'll be able to report over the weekend! Very excited! :D

Jim, you got PM ;)

Just got home from picking up the car. She's all fully OBD2'd up and I have to say i'm loving it!

The idle is rock solid on 600, revs drop smoothly when coming off the gas and doesn't fluctuate up and down at all. The power delivery seems to be even smoother and more consistent through the rev range. I would say there is slightly more power but not a lot in it. No stalling at all, everytihng just seems so much more controlled. It feels like a newer car.

The economy is dramatically different. On the way up to Stealth 2 weeks ago I got 29MPG on the MFA for the whole trip (remember it was overfueling as well). On the trip back down just now I got 38.5MPG!!!! + I was in a jam near bristol for 30mins not even moving! So it seems to be about 30% more economic than it was before. Which means in roughly 10-15k miles it will have paid from itself (roughly ;) ). I reckon if I hadn't sat in the jam I would have seen 40MPG which is pretty much unknown territory for a VR, also bear in mind I was 'testing' the engine very much for the first hours drive... and it was a 4 hour motorway stint. :)

So all in all i'm pretty happy, engine bay looks nice and tidy, Stealth have deffo done a good (if a little late!) job and Vince seemed confident that everything was col with the car. Engine bay pics coming soon...

Finally a big thankyou to Jim for picking me up from Leamington station and driving me to Stealth, he made the day a hell of a lot easier and it's much appreciated. IMO it's people giving up time for each other to help that makes this such a good commmunity. :D

Ello - glad you made it back ok mate! The car looked sweet and sounded very good.. sorry I didn't go out for the blat with you but was trying to get the problem of the noises with my bloody Golf!

Anywho.. if you ever need the same favour don't hesitate to ask! Not that I magine you'll be doing this sort of mileage again for work on your motor! :)

Can't imagine i'll be repeating it for a while!

Also big thanks to kev for his continued advice on the OBR2-D2 subject & bigpants baby for supplying me with the kit, and my mum fo.... :)

Cool, glad it's all over mate.

Is the difference in mpg just down to the fact that you had the conversion :? Or was there a problem with your fueling that was solved by changing the ECU ? I would have thought a 10 mpg difference is reason enough for VR6 owners to go OBD2 :shock:

I was overfueling before so my 29MPG reading on the way up is under what it should be. Before the overfueling started (and everything was ok) I never saw anything like 38MPG though... 34MPG at the most.

And as I say, I wasn't hanging around either! :D

I would reccommend OBD2.

Superb! Excellent, well done mate. Glad you're pleased :-)

The idling is great isn't it? Soooooo much better than OBD1.

If you get Vince to remap it to run without a MAF, it'll run consistently for years and years with no MAF or idle valves to worry about ever again ;-)

Nice one Trigg, really glad its all bang on. I know the wifes Vento does feel completely different and much more modern and generally better behaved. But without feeling over damped/computerised like the latest boxes all seem to. Like your final comment too re the forum members. Certainly missed not being able to get on here and chat for the last month.

Cant wait to see your car in the flesh at some point this summer, looks superb!

Nice one Trig! :)

What would you estimate the total cost was in the end? Soooo tempting! ;)