Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

For Pitys Sake.....

They are doing four campaigns for this though... so a week long per one should help get the message through to some of the numb sculls! This has to be one of my biggest gripes with other road uses - especially if they are only doing 60 :mad:

Would also help though if the road surface in the left lane wasn't so badly worn from lorry's though... lowered car on 17's = tram lining :? (Although I've just had camber and tracking so maybe not anymore)

Can they run another set of messages to tell people that doing 95 mph in the inside lane is not advisable when there is traffic merging from two slip roads on the left and a truck just past the junction so you have to suddenly brake and pull out in front of a car in the middle lane that you just passed on the inside?

(I narrowly avoided an 'incident' on Saturday on the M4 near Reading because of a twunt in a Volvo doing precisely this)

Can they run another set of messages to tell people that doing 95 mph in the inside lane is not advisable when there is traffic merging from two slip roads on the left and a truck just past the junction so you have to suddenly brake and pull out in front of a car in the middle lane that you just passed on the inside?

(I narrowly avoided an 'incident' on Saturday on the M4 near Reading because of a twunt in a Volvo doing precisely this)

Dont think they've got enough room on there boards for that little essay..maybe if they did it over a series of boards, but then if you were coming off before the last board it wouldnt make much sense...then again you'd want to stay on to see the rest of it just to know what the hell they were goin on about, which in turn would cause serious problems in terms of traffic and drivers not looking were there going which kinda defeats the object of having it written up there in the first place........ive given this way to much thought in such a short space of time & im not entirely sure it makes any sense

Ill get me coat.

Dont think they've got enough room on there boards for that little essay...

:lol:

This middle lane thing dates back many years when the inside lane was classed as the 'slow lane', or 'crawler lane' (for trucks going up hills) and some people think they're too good for the 'slow lane'. I really don't know what it is with British people, you just don't see such poor road craft anywhere else in Europe. I really get the impression sometimes that the lane hoggers do it deliberately to annoy the person behind.

If I see someone approaching very quickly, I get out of the way quick sharp. It's not my place to judge them on their speed or show my contempt/jealousy by needlessly holding them up. Speeding is their perogative and they know the risks and penalties.

Why is it the 60 mile an hourers choose to pull out from behind the lorry just as you're about to overtake them, having had acres of space to carry out the manouvre ages before you get anywhere near them? They do it deliberately to annoy you and I'm currently designing a 50 caliber machine gun to fit behind the grill to blow the morons out of the way. Jusat because they want to do 60, it just doesn't give them the right to force everybody else do 60.

What really gets my goat is the old feckin blue rinsers that join a motorway at 40mph off a slip road. This causes HGVs to swerve out of the way, causing locked brakes in the outside lane and a potential pile up. FFS you old f'ckers, just use the bl00dy gas pedal and keep up with the traffic, otherwise I'll blast you off the road with my 50 cal.

...and breathe, Kev! :lol:

hacks me off a treat though - i have to admit to just sticking in the left-hand lane and undertaking them... most of the time they get the message and pull in once i'm past... :roll:

Or the people you flash to move over, they panic and move then as soon as you go past they go straight back into the middle lane and flash their lights at you.

I find the new 5 lane stretch of the M25 comical, you can actually see peoples minds whirring to work out where the middle lane is so they can hog it. All you have now are the inside two lanes empty - surely educating / prosecuting people to promote better lane discipline would be cheaper than building more lanes

I have a couple of motorway police officers in the family and they say that they could easily book people for driving without due care and attention but have been advised that they do not want to create anti-police sentiments - whats with speed cameras then !!!!!!

I do find German drivers almost as bad as the British on 3 lane motorways, great lane discipline on 2 lane motorways but chronic middle lane hoggers when it comes to 3 laners

gradeAfailure, LOL, I'm not angry mate.....my venting just comes across that way ;-) I do as you do....just undertake them. That's the advantage of having a reasonable amount of power available at my disposal ;-)

People are Lemmings, they just follow the crowd. The intelligent and assertive person is the one that goes down the right hand lane and cuts in on the queues at the roundabout.....much to the Lemmings' disgust.....but feck em, if they want to sit there queing, let them.

Andy665, I never flash people out of the way. They just sit there even longer out of spite if you do that I find. A quick blast in the lane to the left of them is all that's required and I'm long gone before they even know what's happened.

Unfortunately on British roads, people just get in your way so you just have to get past them in what ever manner you deem necessary and get on with it. I for one am an A to B as quickly as possible person, I'm not out for a 60mph Sunday cruise apportioning a section of road as my own personal space. We all have the same rights on the roads, so I use the space available to my disposal, even if it means undertaking.

Dont think they've got enough room on there boards for that little essay...

:lol:

This middle lane thing dates back many years when the inside lane was classed as the 'slow lane', or 'crawler lane' (for trucks going up hills) and some people think they're too good for the 'slow lane'. I really don't know what it is with British people, you just don't see such poor road craft anywhere else in Europe. I really get the impression sometimes that the lane hoggers do it deliberately to annoy the person behind.

If I see someone approaching very quickly, I get out of the way quick sharp. It's not my place to judge them on their speed or show my contempt/jealousy by needlessly holding them up. Speeding is their perogative and they know the risks and penalties.

Why is it the 60 mile an hourers choose to pull out from behind the lorry just as you're about to overtake them, having had acres of space to carry out the manouvre ages before you get anywhere near them? They do it deliberately to annoy you and I'm currently designing a 50 caliber machine gun to fit behind the grill to blow the morons out of the way. Jusat because they want to do 60, it just doesn't give them the right to force everybody else do 60.

What really gets my goat is the old feckin blue rinsers that join a motorway at 40mph off a slip road. This causes HGVs to swerve out of the way, causing locked brakes in the outside lane and a potential pile up. FFS you old f'ckers, just use the bl00dy gas pedal and keep up with the traffic, otherwise I'll blast you off the road with my 50 cal.

Amen!

Although i do find that 'inside lane-up thier arse-quickovertake-cut in front-back to inside lane' works just as effectively!

I totally agree with Kev about ppl joining a motorway / dual carriageway at 40mph. SPEED UP for Feck sake, cars and lorrys are travelling in excess of 60.

The middle lane thing annoys me too. I either normally drop to 3rd and roar past on the inside, or go straight from 1st to 3rd lane, flashing my lights as i skim past their rear bumper, and then cut straight back across to the 1st lane again. Sometimes they realize what they're doing and move over, but alot of the time they haven't got a clue...

I also hate it when, on a dual carriageway, why people have to drive in the outside lane, when the car/lorry that they're overtaking is well in the distance. A whole row of cars stuck in the outside lane doing about 50, while the inside lane is totally clear... :mad:

Incidently, i saw the 'Don't Drink and Drive sign on the M27 on Monday. While i can see the releavance of warning people to move over by the use of the sign, isn't it a bit late to warn people about drinking and driving while they're actually on the Motorway??

If somone is driving whilst under the influence, a) they probably can't read the sign anyway, and b) they're probably so ignorant, it won't bother them in the slightest...

Just my 2p...

It did bug me driving up the M1 to Utterly Veedubberly at the weekend - we were driving through heavy rain with standing water on the road and fog lights on because the spray was so dense.

Yet the fecking overhead signs were saying 'Don't drink and drive' - now surely a better message would have been 'keep your distance' or maybe 'slow down' or even, dare I say it - 'use your fog lights'.

As people have said though, putting up a message to say 'pull over' wont'd do anything because it would seem that most people that hog the middle lane do so because they think it's right and/or are so oblivious to everyone else on the road that they don't know what's going on.

Amen!

Although i do find that 'inside lane-up thier arse-quickovertake-cut in front-back to inside lane' works just as effectively!

LOL! I really don't understand how people have the nerve to shake their head when we're forced to do this sort of thing. I always undertake and it bothers me that a copper would pull me over for that before the moron forcing the queue in the outside lane!!! :mad:

Oh wait, am I right in thinking a learner car isn't even allowed on the motorway, rather than actually learning how to drive on it? Well f**k me where's the logic in that? They bring in all this crap like pressing on potenntial hazards on a frikkin computer game rather than teaching people how to drive a car!

How about mandatory motorway training for all

every two years!

At the end of the day - if they made it more difficult to get/keep a license, they wouldn;t have to put petrol/tax/tolls up to keep cars of the road.

....why only for a week, middle lane hogging causes more frustration and I would imagine accidents than anything else on the roads

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/defau ... ryId=12067

This is a trial to see if it affects traffic flow, it started some months back on my section of the M1 nr Northampton, problem was the 'helpful messages' were displayed when all 3 lanes were full of traffic and lane hopping was actually difficult or dangerous.

The other trick is using the centre reservation speed signs to show 50mph just to try to balance out the traffic flow, there's never any reason and the traffic never slows unless it has to.

Other helpful messages incluse 'take a break, don't drive tired' and don't use your phone whilst driving' only slightly more useful than '60 miles away on the m6 a lane is blocked' - could have guessed that myself in the rush hour :roll:

David.

It did bug me driving up the M1 to Utterly Veedubberly at the weekend - we were driving through heavy rain with standing water on the road and fog lights on because the spray was so dense.

Yet the fecking overhead signs were saying 'Don't drink and drive' - now surely a better message would have been 'keep your distance' or maybe 'slow down' or even, dare I say it - 'use your fog lights'.

As people have said though, putting up a message to say 'pull over' wont'd do anything because it would seem that most people that hog the middle lane do so because they think it's right and/or are so oblivious to everyone else on the road that they don't know what's going on.

I'm taking it you've never seen Peter Purves then? :?

I like those chevrons on some motorway (can't remember which) which are designed to help maintain a 'safe' distance. The idea is you keep two or maybe 3 chevrons gap between you and the car in front....and it worked, for me at least, as it was quite novel trying to maintain the gap and it keeps you alert.....which is half the problem these days. People don't look any further ahead than their own bonnets and bunch up together like lemmings. Only takes someone to pull out suddenly and you get a nice concertina effect and crunching metal sounds.

Reading the road ahead is elementary and I really don't know how some people pass their tests. What really gets on my goat is these zombies that are half dead/asleep behind the wheel and jam their brakes on at roundabouts, and then look right :roll: I always look as far ahead as my eyes can see, your body will react accordingly and you can make very good progress by checking junctions and roundabouts way in advance.....until you get held up by said zombies again. These people need scalextric tracks.

Roll on hover cars....

Get those friggin lorries off the roads is what I say. They're terrible, a bloddy nuisance. constantly in the way, forcing you to stay in the midlane (M1 is a prticularly bad example), and even those lorry-scum then use the midlane, forcing you to the fast lane.

Introduce a lorry toll like in Germany, it may get goods transport back on the rails again, where it belongs. Roads are for cars!

Tempest

With the the schitt rail network we currently have, road trains are the only option....and it's a lot cheaper for the hauliers to ship goods via the road.

I don't mind trucks so much, they're delivering my parts after all :-)

What I don't like is the silly games they play when they get bored, like not moving into the empty overtaking lane when they see you trying to come off the slip road and overtaking eachother at a snails pace faster. I know they're restricted, but they're not that restricted. They may not have anything better to do with their time but the rest of us have.

And my girlfriend's uncle is a HGV driver and said that's exactly the kind of stuff they get up to :wink:

Re Hgvs ( and soon to be vans and 7.5 tonners)

They are limited and are designed to stop accelerating at 56mph,unless its a willi betz motor where anything goes ( be warned )

its just Trucks with bigger horseys have more grunt on the hills,thats how they scramble quickly for the outside/middle lane,as the vehicle in front of them looses momentum.

You shouldnt see Lgv drivers in the outside lane on a 3 lane

or more motorway etc.

Its simple enough keep to the left and when joining filter into traffic when all drivers do this it would eliminate undertaking and other unlawful moves.

Fast cars dont worry me ever,I worry about grandads in their rovers,caravans ( being pulled by a fiesta or somthing underpowered) and sorry but this is true girls in corsas texting on the phone and fag in the other hand.

I pity anyone who has endured spagetti junction at rush hour,

there is a lorry tax for Uk,thats how half the movements are now done by foreign trucks.

Peter purves :-D

I have been known to hold up traffic to check the cabriolet with the short skirted driver (not in a kilt obviously ) :wink:

obviously not often enough...

HAHAHA.

I agree, but there is often so much traffic it's hard to, well impossible to move over, but I reckon, if everyonedrove correctly there would be so much less congestion on motorways, if people want to do over a tonne, then let them, just get out there way. And junctions to roundabouts is annoying like you said KEV, people slowing right down to 1st gear on one near me, when I can take it in 3rd, in any car...causing massive tail backs, sos I also, tend to cut in toward the last 50metres, as some grandad has probably left another 50metre gap infront and no chance of touching me..

Oh and I pulled on to the motorway the other day, was cruising around 80, when my mate in his company XSARA HDI! over took me at 100! writing a text message! I shi* you not!

Yeah, I know what you mean with those chevron things - it's a superb idea and it does seem to work as well :)

Freight and rail... ugh. It makes no sense at all to send stuff long-distance by road. The government should be subsidising and/or encouraging rail-freight. It clears lorries off the roads and makes better use of the very under-used rail system. It then also encourages further investment and development of the rail system so that the general public end up with a better and cheaper service too.

Heck, lets get all crazy and say the government should buy back the whole rail system and actually have a crack at running it as a public service (subsidised by freight) rather than a money grabbing opportunity for the world's largest banks.

But hey, what do I know...

Oh and what's all this Peter Purves stuff?