Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

weerd stering

just a quick mention on spiggot rings,when i bought my wheels i lost one,only found out when i took them to demon tweeks to get them fitted,and they said they would put it on the back as it wont matter...been the same for 2 years with no effects what so ever

cool, noth part numbers are for the top moun tthen, I thought one was for the rear wheel bearings and the other for the top mount. u know ur stuff. 8)

Cheers

Phil K, you know bill and i are right , fold damn you ;-)

if your wheel is a gnats handbag of center it will have a wobbly effect :-)

yeah but no but yeah but no cos if the wheel is held on by 4 bolts they they are designed to hold it in the exact place to make it line up right init... spigots are only to help you guide the wheel on to the hub and make the lining up that bit easier! :lol:

i know what you're saying and in theory they should'nt have an affect but they do , maybe be more so on certain wheel designs (hub fitment?) , the ones i had a problem with were khan rsr's , mmm khan :-)

certainly a grey area but if its known to happen and its free , its worth a check

the obvious one with the spiggot rings is the yts lad- spotty wayne balances your wheel and leaves the spiggot ring on the machine :-)

i'll have to log in under a different name and make this 3 -2 ;-)

i'll have to log in under a different name and make this 3 -2 ;-)

PMSL

With out a spigot ring lining up the wheel will be much harder and there is a chance that you could bolt the wheel on off centre... so yeah they will make a difference - however the bottom line is with out one you can still put the wheel on straight if you're careful so they don't make a difference...

We're now arguing practically the same point so lets call it a draw :lol:

(and I’ve got to go to work now lol)

Def a Grey area

Thats 2 for spigot rings and 2 against...

:lol: Make that 2 for spigot rings and 3 against.

The spiggot rings on mine are only plastic, which centralise the wheel on the hub when you fit it. The holes in aftermarket wheels and their bolts have matching tapers, so as soon as you tighten the bolts up they will locate the wheel. If the spiggot rings were designed as a load bearing lacator, they wouldn't be plastic mouldings.

Phil K, come on !! you could have thought up a better name than Phil, its obvious you've stolen my idea on this one

whats next username- notphilk :-)

Phil K, come on !! you could have thought up a better name than Phil, its obvious you've stolen my idea on this one

whats next username- notphilk

How did you guess :roll:

i didnt want it to come to this but.........

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes. [click] You're under!

SPIGGOTSCANCAUSEWOBBLE

you're back in the room

ps. lol should'nt this be in drivetrain ;-)

Could differing wheel bolts have an effect on this. I've been told my wheel bolts aren't all the same - I also have the odd vague steering episode!

Could differing wheel bolts have an effect on this. I've been told my wheel bolts aren't all the same - I also have the odd vague steering episode!

Hmmm possibly. It is very important that the bolt matches the wheel. If you compare the heads of the bolts where they seat on the wheel the standard VW bolts the have a radiused section, whereas aftermarket ones have a straight tapered section.

Years ago a mate had unmatched bolts/wheels, eventually one of his wheels wobbled loose, which caused massive vibration ending in the wheel coming off as he was driving.