Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

ABS Yes or No?

Interesting you saying you are ditching your ABS Lee (312mm brakes thread), do you not like the ABS? I am in a situation where I have all the kit but I am not sure whether to fit it or not.

I have only ever really had it come on on gravel and snow, but then its less than useless because it doesnt let you press the pedal at all.

Some might say I dont try hard enough, but I think I definately do. If you apply the brakes properly (squeeze not stamp) you dont lock up - well thats what I have found.

I would be interested in peoples opinions.

i agree - i have never liked ABS for the same reason and would be quite happy if i could have it removed when my brakes are next done. admittedlt tho mine doesnt seem to be working at the mo anyway.... which is good...!!!

Ask chrisvr6nos about his navigating a unexpected round-a-bout at high speed with the aid of ABS, it works if his experience is anything to go by. Mine seems pretty good, it kicked in the other day when some loony old biddy pulled out on me at a junction and the roads were wet, probably would have hit her if I'd locked up. Depends what you're going to use the car for I guess, is it going on the road as a daily driver or a weekend track toy?

I'm not too sure my ABS is working, I've had at least one lock-up I can remember. If it does happen, I just come off the brake pedal and then go straight back on it again.

Isn't that known as cadence (probably not the right spelling) braking?

'pumping' was a technique I used to employ in the valver if i locked up, which it did a few times. tug, wait til its wet and get on an empty bit of road then stamp on the brakes, even at low speeds it should be enough to envoke a skid, if the brake peddle judders like a mad thing and you hear the tell tale 'd-d-d-d-d-d-d' noise, your ABS is working ;)

so - "ABS, for people like to stamp on their brakes :D"

Chris it would appear that your car isnt the only thing you have been 'pumping' lately considering your impending fatherhood lol

:lol: pumping of different types, if i'd used my braking technique on the G/F I dont think I'd be in the same situation as I am now ;)

i personally have never been a fan of abs, it was one of many contibuting reasons why i decided to go for a G60....and corrado abs is'nt the most reliable.....

but it can be very useful in the wet...

I think ABS is invaluable for when situations arise which you don't expect, such as someone stepping out on a wet road etc. I must admit the split second when the brakes 'let go' just before the ABS kicks in has made me loose a couple of beats, and it seems to cut in before I think it would normally lock up. But, it's saved me and others a few times so i'm happy sticking with it.

I can't see that human reactions / pumping pedal etc can beat the stopping distance of ABS, plus you can still steer, well after the forementioned 'let go' time which again scared me abit. This was all during testing btw. :?

Heres one for yas.

Does the abs detect which wheel has locked up and applies it magic to that one, or does it detect wheel lockage and does it to all 4 wheels?

Corrado VR6 has, iirc, three channel ABS, so it can back off the braking force to each front wheel individually. The back wheels are both eased off at the same time.

Nearly as good as four channel, in fact it's 90% the way there, but not quite.

Older systems were primitive like you say, and ultimately increased braking distances under certain circumstances, but at least the car behaved predictably.

I think it's fairly similar except you don't get the traction control...

The brakes on my non ABS G60 (TDi) 'feel' alot better than the ABS ones on the other one but given the choice I'd rather have the ABS, over the last 4 years it must have saved me from at least one crash!

CoxyLaaaaaaaad!, yes, 3 channel like the later models, but without the EDL traction control crap that is the bit that tends to break in the main pump causing expensive repair bills... ;)

Front Left, Front Right and REARS can be pulsed independently depending on which wheel has locked up...

Supercharged, The (none ABS) brakes on H-YYU feel much better than the ABS enabled brakes on J-DUB too, so you're not alone in that "feeling" thing... 8)

Supercharged, no, 'cos I wrote one of 'em off... :( (although I do feel slightly happier now that the third party's insurance has admitted liability so I know it wasn't my fault... ;) 8) )

ABS would certainly have helped the time I locked up the brakes in my Saxo VTR and almost ploughed into the back of a car pulling out of a petrol station.

Then again the brakes on my MK4 seem good enough to not need it.. even on a rainy day I can jump on the brakes and almost get my face pulled off from the deceleration - rarely ever feel the ABS kick in.

I think tyres count for a lot. The ones on the Saxo at the time were Toyo Proxes T1-S and i've repeatedly stated my dislike for them in wet weather conditions.

Jim, well, you know what the brakes were like in J-DUB and that was with the ABS "disabled"... ;) 8)

... without the EDL traction control crap that is the bit that tends to break in the main pump causing expensive repair bills... ;)

Though the EDL *is* crap, I wouldn't say it's any less reliable than any other part of the ABS system ... There is a general unreliable-ness of that particular model of valve block, but it's nowt to do with the EDL.

ABS is the bees. having had a time before I fixed the system on my C I know what it was like with and with out. Tests on a wet hill where I live really showed me how shocking stopping distances could be! with abs (and the peddle pulsing like mad) I stopped in about half the distance. Also it helps for those moments when a 'loone' pulls in front of you at high speed. Not to mention the odd rear wheel lock I used to have, not since abs fixed.

may as well keep it, should imagine that it will be even better with bigger discs cos should cut in more etc..

I have the G60 version, which I am pleased about as I have 4wd, and therefore have no need for any poncy traction control 8)