Sign in to follow this  
TREVR6

Whats the difference between AAA's and ABV's

Got the chance of a AAA engine with box, d,shafts hubs, sub frame, loom etc etc for a decent price. Considering either 1 keeping it for spares, 2 selling it on and trying to make a bob or two, or 3 keep it for a project 3L ported head lightened fly wheel super charger etc etc, Would be nice to build an engine up over a year or so at my leisure and as funds would allow and have it all ready to drop into mine. Just need to know before I buy it or not what the differences are apart from the smaller bore size. Head, box, wiring, ecu, manifolds, sub frame, hubs, shafts, block (apart from bore size) crank, clutch, etc etc all the same I think, but you know what thought did!

Info please guys

Cheers

Trev :D

I thnik the AAA is the 2.8 US version whilst the ABV is the 2.9 EU version. The AAA doesnt have a coilpack its the dizzy type (iirc). There may well be other differences too though.

I always thought the AAA was the VR6 used in the golf/passat/vento and sharan - ie the 2.8L, and the ABV was the the 2.9L in the corrado. If thats the case then mines a ABV with a dizzy not a coilpack.

Got the chance of a AAA engine with box, d,shafts hubs, sub frame, loom etc etc for a decent price. Considering either 1 keeping it for spares, 2 selling it on and trying to make a bob or two, or 3 keep it for a project 3L ported head lightened fly wheel super charger etc etc, Would be nice to build an engine up over a year or so at my leisure and as funds would allow and have it all ready to drop into mine. Just need to know before I buy it or not what the differences are apart from the smaller bore size. Head, box, wiring, ecu, manifolds, sub frame, hubs, shafts, block (apart from bore size) crank, clutch, etc etc all the same I think, but you know what thought did!

Info please guys

Cheers

Trev :D

i think youve pretty much answered that yourself

I always thought the AAA was the VR6 used in the golf/passat/vento and sharan - ie the 2.8L, and the ABV was the the 2.9L in the corrado. If thats the case then mines a ABV with a dizzy not a coilpack.

yeah thats what i thought too, the engine in my golf vr6 and the parts golf vr6 are both AAA

The AAA was shipped with coil pack aswell, obviously, as they stopped the ABV when the Corrado died but the AAA continued to be built for several years.

There's more than just cosmetic differences and bore size between the two engines, but it's been discussed at length previously. In all major respects they're the same, but there's lots of little changes, is the long+short of it.