Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Side trim removal. Was it a good idea?

Am thinking of removing the side protection trims as they're looking tired as most plastic/rubber does after 11 years - not having been in the gimp role for 11 years i might add!!! :lol:

I'm just after some input on experinces once carried out.

My car is black if that makes a difference.

Beware car parks :wink:

I had mine removed last Jan while my car was being resprayed. No dents yet, thank God.

But I dont take the car to any car parks. That's what my MK2's for :lol:

the problem with the strips is that the only thing they seem to protect aginst is other corrado's :lol: and even then the other corrado will probably be a different height to yours depending on the ride height.

most 4x4's that usually cause the big parking dents smack the side of your car way above the side strip aswell, mine has just gone into the bodyshop for a full respray and the side strips have been removed so i will see what it looks like without them when its finnished.

I took them off my raddo's, never had any problems, although I have heard of people having bad experiences with getting them off, or finding hidden nasties underneath.......but like i say, I've done it on 3 raddo's and it went fine every time. It makes a huge difference to the looks of the car if you ask me, its a DEFFINATE as far as i'm concerned, and i've not recieved a parking dink without them either...I think it mainly stops you catching the edge of your door when you open it, the strips poke out a bit.

Either that or colour code your mouldings.

If you just want to spruce them up and make them look like new, peanut butter works wonders (I kid you not)

Another point to remember mate, if nobody has mentioned it. Make sure your car has had no paint work down there, and mask round the plastic. Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but it will look gank if you pull em off and its been sprayed round them. Not allways as easy to spot as you'd think, especially on a black car.

Sure you would know, but hey, i've mentioned it just incase.

Is that why i hav'nt done, might be, not telling!

Make sure your car has had no paint work down there, and mask round the plastic.

'down there'? Ooh err :lol:

Hmm, i'm thinking of doing this, or spraying them the same colour. Kinda edging towards complete removal cos it does look sleaker...

Prob best remove. They do look good when painted, but if you do then get doored I reckon a it will chip the colour coded plastic much worse than the door.

Mind you, having just looked at your picks, id leave her how she is. Looks spanking mate!

I can see more point in removing the side strips on a car that *isn't* black, to be honest. It is a shame they start to look a bit tired and everything, but at least they're black on black. (One of the reasons why black is the best colour for a C, IMHO.. ;) )

Ahh thanks Nick. I agree Matt, no point in messing with a black car. I think I will do mine though, if I paint them they could look very crap a year down the line!

I do know Kev has painted his however and they are apparently still fine...

Peanut butter pah, how long before somebody tries running their motor on chip oil? :nurse:

:lol: even better - peanut oil* ;) They're taking over the world you know!

*"[Rudolph] Diesel's vision was to design an engine for farm use that could run using fuel grown and processed by the farmer himself, and he selected peanut oil as his fuel of choice. It wasn't until years later that the oil was replaced with what became known as diesel fuel - a waste product created during the petroleum distillation process."

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialre ... ticle.html

But you already knew that ;)