Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

run away 'rado :( - another update - fat lady sings.

Well either way, it's going to get repaired with VAG parts - it just depends on how old they are.

TBH, they're just body panels and they're going to be treated and sprayed anyway, so it shouldn't make any difference.

but since I'm selling I think it might be better to be able to say it was repaired with VAG parts, i dunno...

It will be repaired with VAG parts, just not new ones :wink:

Alright, alright, just cos you got there first, there's no need to repeat yourself ;) :lol:

And I'm sure you change your avatar more often than I have hot dinners...

The cost of new parts for a C means that it's really easy to make the car a write-off with even a minor knock.

I got a good door from a breakers. The cost of new from VW was jaw-dropping! As was said already, second-hand body panels aren't really an issue. It's not as if they wear out (or even rust on a C)!

right, with that in mind i think the cash down the loo option might work out better, at least it'll cover the payment of the excess.

bearing in mind it was cat d'd when t'other chris owned it, and providing the repairs go smoothly this time around, would asking 3k for it be ott or about right?

i think you'd be doing well to get 3k chris - i'd certainly take that bearing in mind the residual value of the car even if you sold it as is to be repaired.

part ex golf tdi?

Ah right, cool, must read back.

Why not, it will be in a better state than a lot of them out there having had all the work done.

I reckon , if I had £3k, and I wanted to buy a vr6 in silver, I would deffo come and look at yours, especially as you can be up front and show pics of before and after the little mishap, so that people can see that the damage wasn't exactly bad...at the end of the day I don't see what people expect from a 10+ year old car, most have had a scrape or a knock and been repaired...and if they haven't they comand a higher price. At least with your car they'd know what they were getting.

It pissed me off when I was selling my car, people were sending emails asking questions implying that they were looking for a showroom condition g60 for £2k...p1ss takers.

It is and still would be a nice example for £3k from what I can make out

just been sorting my car out, wasnt happy with the way the engineer was talking about the repairs being 'tight' with the budget he had to play with, and the garage 'having a go' at the reapirs, so asked him to write it off since I'd have to sell it anyway due to loss of no claims, and selling a cowboy repaired car just isnt going to be fun.

I've got til monday to strip it of anything worth anything and then it goes for salvage. getting £2750 back from it, plus whatever i can get for the bits I pull off.

very very sad, but its the best move rather than trying to get it repaired for sentimental reasons, then selling it on for what equates to about the same money as i'm getting. head rules heart this time, but heart isnt happy :'(

Shame Chris but needs must, you've got more important things going on , whatevers the quickest and easiest way mate.

So.............how much of a carcuss do you need to leave then?..........what can you get away with ripping off?

so long as it has 'alloys' the engineer said he'll be happy, so i'm trying to sort that out at the moment, audio stuff will all come out as will any other aftermarket bits I can replace for nowt. other than that I dont think theres much I can do without them cutting the payout down.

you removing the interior? is it leather?

shame about another C going to waste, atleast you can look back with good memories!

i think they might have something to say if i gave it back with no seats :lol: I cant go so far as breaking it for salvage, just take some things off they wont notice, oh and its cloth anyway ;)

thats a shame Chris... she was a lovely car. tho admittedly this will be easier for you in the long run....

thats another one gone from the roads... :(

realistically, if some enterprising local wanted to pick it up, they offered it to me for £700 'scrap'. engines fine, just dented bodywork. could be back on the road for less than a grands worth of repairs... i just dont need the hasstle of sorting that out at the moment.

paul - no worries mate

.rich. - yeah mate, keeping the cups for the next motor if i get one and if they'll fit, if not they'll be sold... sadly a bit scuffed now but should still be tidyable.

£700! Man that'd be a superb project!

Sorry you've had to write it off mate, but probably for the best.

yup... just think, with say, £1000 invested in getting the bodywork mint, £1200 in coxys engine (if it wasnt sold)! someone could have had a 24v vr-based corrado for £2900 AND have a reasonable 12v engine to sell on.

must admit i thought about it, but I dont have the time, space, skills, tools... and so on!

Shame about the car, looked a goodun. Have you got some tatty alloys to put on for scrapping? would be a mighty waste to see those wheels go.

bix - I'll make it public where it can be salvaged from, if anyones super seriously interested I'll PM the number of the salvage people and let them know as soon as its picked up!

tatty(er) alloys on the way thanks to H8RRA!