Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

run away 'rado :( - another update - fat lady sings.

get the car back chris - it will live again - its not that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....and if your robbing bits, i'll bring some wheels up and get the the rh's off!!!!

give me a call!!!!!!

i hear what you're saying, but its not really an option. I thought about buying it backto break it since we all know they're worth more that way but I dont have the time/space/skils to do it.

Bummer mate, gutted for yah.. Im sure if you got some of the guys to give you a hand they'd help break it.. would be a shame to see it being scraped etc..

goodluck mate..

Dont let it go!!! got to be worth buying back, if you dont get it back on the road then someone else will and you or someone on here will see it driving

around again.

Am sure i could find a space for it...

the problem with buying it back is that i wouldnt be able to insure it after its repaired, and selling on a cat C car is difficult at the best of times let alone with how the second hand market is now.

I'll ask if the cars availible for others to buy from the insrance company, I doubt they'll want much for it if it is.

i always thought that you were insured for your losses - where does it say your car is bought off you? I'm sure this is a con by the insurance companies.

chris, does nosky realise he's got to get his plate sorted? i would imagine this is going to be awkward.........

yeah he knows, and yeah its likely to be VERY aukward, but you know the problems hes having with his v5 so i guess theres not much that can be done. I could put it on retention for him but I dont have the cash spare to do it at the moment.

further update...

the engineer chappy's just been to inspect it and said the bodyshop i took it too on friday has a 'thing' for replacing panels that can be pulled back into shape, thus bumping up the cost of repairs. Hes going to ask them if they'd be willing to pull the pannels, if not theres a place over in sunderland who he knows WILL pull them back to shape and I'll have to take it there instead. Its looking more positive now, although I'll still have to sell it when I get it back, at least its not getting killed off.

catch 22 , its nice to see it not being murdered but it would be so much easier for you to be just handed a chq

so yeah i'm pleased and i'm not :blackeye:

yeah gix, that pretty much how i feel, I'd already resigned myself to it getting written off, now its getting repaired I'm pleased for sentimental reasons, but disapointed since I'll have to sell it for less than I hoped I'd get.

Another option the engineer mentioned was a 'cash in lew' settlement whereby he gives me £xxx and i get it fixed myself, he couldnt tell me how much that'd be at this point though.

catch 22 , its nice to see it not being murdered but it would be so much easier for you to be just handed a chq

so yeah i'm pleased and i'm not :blackeye:

Exactly, like i've said before, this is one one my favourite raddo's to look at on here, so it would be schitt to see it be killed, but I know the situation that Chris is in. What are your thoughts about it Chris?

EDIT--oh, see above. :lol:

you should get a decent cash in lew fig and get it fixed cheap and cash in again :)

i may have it off you

I'll have to see what the cash in lew figure would be, its not something i've heard of before TBH, is it the sort of thing where they do, well the bodyshop said it'd cost £2k to fix, so heres 1.5k away you go?

chris got a £4k+ payment for a car i think and paid £500 to get the car back? he'll tell you best

I got cash in lieu for an accident a couple of years ago. Only thing that needed replacing was passenger door. Took it to a good body shop. Car was perfect. It's just a load of hassle, but I'd recommend the option if you really want the car.

I don't remember the categories for write-offs, but it sounds as this one should be 'uneconomic to repair' rather than 'unroadworthy'?

yeah, thats what the guy said basically, it'd go down as a cat-d IF he wrote it off, its certainly not a cat c, at least i hope not since i've been driving it about for the best part of two weeks!

the cash in lew doesnt write the car off, it just means I sort the repairs out myself, which i guess saves the insurance company hasstle.

hey Chris hope it works out for the best.. cant the place who painted yr red valver fix the car if the insurance company payout for the repairs??

yeah thats who i was thinking about getting to do it, either them or the guy that resprayed the vr when chrisvr6 nos had it, although the engineer slagged off his paintwork on the bumper, not enough plasticiser (sp?) apparently!

The cash in lieu option will be a case of them giving you cash to get it fixed, instead of them paying the bodyshop direct. It's an option on nearly all insurance policies, but it will probably mean you have to argue with them about how much they give you (as with a write-off payout, I'd argue with whatever the first amount is that they offer).

It could be a good thing for 2 reasons - firstly, you get to choose where to get it fixed, rather than the yokel monkeys that do it for the lowest price possible. Second, you can use second hand parts and save a huge amount of money over the new, genuine VAG parts that will be quoted for (at list price) otherwise.

ah.. yeah, lieu not loo or lew or lucy lu.

thats what the chap said, they have to use genuine parts where as i could probably save myself a fortune buying 2nd hand bits. I'll have to have a chat with him when he rings back, might be the best option so long as I can find a decent, cheap bodyshop and get the parts i need.

if i was hanging on to it then I'd go down that route no question, but since I'm selling I think it might be better to be able to say it was repaired with VAG parts, i dunno...

but since I'm selling I think it might be better to be able to say it was repaired with VAG parts, i dunno...

It will be repaired with VAG parts, just not new ones :wink:

but since I'm selling I think it might be better to be able to say it was repaired with VAG parts, i dunno...

It will be repaired with VAG parts, just not new ones :wink: