Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

slooooow electrical windows

My electrical windows move slower than a turtle high on heroine. What's wrong with them?

And they don't have the "one long click for all the way down or up" functionality either. Wasn't that on the early corrados? If not, is it hard to add this functionality (my friend has it on his rado g60 jet ed.)?

do both sides go at the same speed? I'd suggest (if you havent done so already) taking the doorcards off and spraying white grease in the runners for the windows in case they've gone stiff and dried out. Failing that it 'could' be a fuse which has blown in an odd way, or it could be the window motor, any odd noises while the windows are moving?

sorry, dont know about the one touch up/down on early rados.

the speed kinda varies. I'll check the fuses someday. They sit underneath the steering column right? or on the side or whatever? Nope, no odd noises while moving.

thanks for the advice, I'll take off the doorcards in a couple of days anyways, to put some real sound deadening in there.

in a RHD car they're to the right of the steering column behind the little tray thingy. TBH I'd check that first, it takes 10 seconds! worth greasing up the runners anyway since they'll probably have died out a bit since the car came off production, mine had.

In my VR, the driver window goes up/down with one touch but the passenger side doesn't. It's quite annoying.

i think they all do that,well mine do and my mates old one did,and its the same on my pug shed

blackcat, dazzyvr6, while the drivers side is doing its auto-down thang, tap the passengers side one and it'll auto-down too (or up, depending where the windows are when you start :?)

I have auto-down on all four of my windows, but only auto-up on the driver's... Laura's C is the same, but with only 2 windows obviously...

I have auto-down on all four of my windows,

Since when did the C have 4 windows that open??? :?

Both my windows have the auto down option, but not back up, my last C was the same too.

Since when did the C have 4 windows that open???

He's got one of those rare 5 door Corrado's...

:cuckoo: :drinking:

was the auto down feature an option? If so, how can I make it happen on mine? Thx for all help btw!

And I'm pretty sure there's no such thang as a five door corrado :p But if you can put a TVR interior into a rado, why not four movable windows? :D Cool mod idea if you're skint on ideas and got too much a) time and skills available or b) money to spend.

Here goes…..

From what I can see, the window lifter differences are, for post August1990 Corrado’s, a couple of wiring changes. The switches and their lighting are fine and so are the wires to them for this, there are no changes here. The window lifter controller unit is common to all Corrados but…. the wiring change on pre August 1990 is a loom rebuild, so many wires to change.

The change over for the later Corrado’s seems to be at Chassis 50SK000719 ie. October 1994. So for chassis 50MK000001 to N, P, R, & to 50SK000718, a couple of wire additions are needed to get the late Corrado window logic mode operating from the door window switches.

I can’t guarantee this but if someone wishes to risk it, to prove the theory on a pre Oct’94 car, here are the production wire changes. So if someone has a spare controller by the part number below (so they don't bust their original), they may like to try theory.

------------------------

Find the Window Lifter Controller (Pt No. 191 959 875) located in the rear offside of the rear off-side passenger seat at the bottom of the side trim.

The controller has three coloured plugs, brown, white & black.

Change 1:

Locate pin 7 in the BROWN plug. It should have a grey with red stripe thin wire pushed into it. Cross link (bridge) this wire to pin 2 in the BLACK plug using the box cover pin diagrams as a guide (The pins are numbered like |12 which means plug 1 pin 2 and so on.). To confirm the wire adjacent to pin 2 in the BLACK plug, pin 4 length ways along the BLACK plug is a green with white stripe wire. Pin 2 should be a vacant position.

Change 2:

Locate the thin brown with white stripe wire in the BROWN plug at pin 5. Run an additional wire, same thickness, to the passenger door courtesy contact switch in the passenger door pillar (the driver’s door does not need to be done as there should be a brown with white stripe wire (two wires are joined at the connector onto the door pillar on one pin switch for the courtesy light and another brown with white stripe wire on the other driver’s door pin switch contact. ie. 3 brown with white stripe wires.)).

It is important that the new wire is on a separate circuit from the Window Lifter Controller so a dual separate contact type switch needs to be at the passenger door if not fitted (part can be ordered at VW dealers). Connect the new wire from the controller BROWN plug pin 5 to the separate contact so that when the switch is open circuit (passenger door shut)

The best way to run this wire will be down the inside sill area by the driver’s seat under the carpet, across the underside of the dash inside the trim. Then into the passenger door pillar and finally hook it up to the “SPARE” door courtesy light pin switch connection.

As already said….. This is unproven practically so if someone has a spare controller by the part number above, they may like to try the theory. Perhaps first by confirming ALL the wire colours in ALL the three plugs to the controller back here for both a pre & post October 1994 chassis cars, ie. before/after 50SK000718. UK cars notoriously have undocumented extra wires added in production for the UK market!

My electrical windows move slower than a turtle high on heroine. What's wrong with them?

To answer selbekk's..........

Different market's, different wiring of the window controller. Same for differnet models & years. USA cars' wired differently also.

-----

Slow Windows..........

There are two fuses in the circuit for the windows & the controller. Both of which I expect to be OK but worth a check. Fuse 14 (10 amps) and S52 (20amps) up above the relays on top of the fuse/rellay panel.

The window controller box uses relays to up/down the windows so I don't expect them to be faulty.

As both windows are slow, the next common item is the earth wire. There is no direct earth wires to the window winder motors. Earthing for the circuits is done via the controller box only. The controller uses a single earth wire which runs from the window controller box in the right side rear passenger behind the side wall trim to an earth point just behind/above the fuse/relay panel. Reverse for LHD cars.

So locate the multi-earth points under the dash on the driver's side up by the fuse/relay panel. It may be that the muti-earth point centre philips screw has vibrated loose and causing a poor earth leading to reduced volts across the window winder motors. The earth wire for the controller is quite a thick wire compared to most.

Earth multi-earth point will have a set of brown wires with brown connectors connected to it. Upto 8 separate wires may be connected. Make sure all are pushed home and the mounting screw is tight.

The switches don't carry the motor 12 volts supply only 12volt control signals.

I do gotta admit, you guys are freaking amazing! Thanks a ton for all this info! You should write books and get doctorates in Corradology all of ya ;D

Well anyways, I'll take a look behind the doorcards any day now. The right side window actually works pretty well now, which could make it just a lubrication issue for the left one.

Stanbates, where do I put that controller? Looked nice. Cool detail and upgrade, I think anyways.

Again, thx a million.

I just bought my Rado (90 H) and I have one touch down on driver and passenger but not back up on either door. One odd thing, is that you can only operate one window at a time. So if I put down the both windows, I have to them one at a time, which is a bit annoying!

I need to check the fuses anyway as the window tilts but doesn't slide, the rear wiper doesn't work and the right hand side speakers keep coming on and off. Don't think the heaters are working properly either! :roll:

welcome to corrado ownership mate! :lol:

the 'one at a time' window thing is just a 'feature' of the car, its been explained before and i think it came down to insufficent voltage to operate both windows at once...or something like that! madness!