Sign in to follow this  
20valver

Replacing bushes....

Changing the front and rear suspension bushes on Corrado and Golf has become the hot job of late for me. With the mileage and age of our cars now this job has become a must and revitalises this aspect of the cars handling remarkably. As with all wear and tear issues in this area, one does not notice the gradual decline of these components until a marked failure occurs or you drive another car that has been fitted with new components. I am a firm advocate of OE components and not at all impressed with silicone rubber copies. The only area where these are valid is for replacing the front lower arm rear bushes. The Powerefle rear torsion beam bushes i would not recommend or use as they adversely affect the Corrado's passive rear wheel steering response. At the end of the day the Corrado was received with great acclaim at the time of it's launch for in part it's handling characteristics, so the OE bushes can not be so bad. To make more efficient my works in this area i have invested in the VW tooling to replace the rear beam bushes and use my press to remove / install the others. For the information of those who are interested the cost of both front and rear bushes including anti roll bar is £175 and I charge £280 for fitting a total of 8 hours. Camber and alignment need to be adjusted after these works and a fee of £50 is made to set the car up on a lazer alignment rig. If any require further advice I'd be happy to discuss with you

ah good stuff, they're cheaper too

How many sets of bushes are back there?

I think its probably best to buy a complete wishbone from VAG as they come with the bushes, also get the BJ's too...

ah good stuff, they're cheaper too

How many sets of bushes are back there?

I think its probably best to buy a complete wishbone from VAG as they come with the bushes, also get the BJ's too...

Well if I'm going to get Stealth to do it, I'll just tell them to replace everything. I've got a big box of bits I can give them for starters and if anything else needs doing, they can provide. Hmm it's gonna be an expensive trip.

Still makes me snigger when ball joints are abbreviated :D

I replaced my front wishbone bushes with bugpack ones and I am very impressed, no extra harshness and much more precise handling. The nearside front wishbone rear bush failed on my car, under acceleration it pulled hard to the right, and then pulled to the left when off the power, I had my dad sitting in the car in 1st gear loading putting load through the wheels i.e. feathering the clutch and the near side wishbone moved alot more than the offside.

Those VT rear wishbone bushes do sound pretty cool, though I'm sure you lose the 'passive rear steer' if you replace with anything but the standard VW bushes tho. That can't be good news :? (unless I'm talkin pap :oops: )

Mike

Whoops- sorry I'm a t*t- Hadn't noticed this thread had gone to a second page :oops:

Those VT rear wishbone bushes do sound pretty cool, though I'm sure you lose the 'passive rear steer' if you replace with anything but the standard VW bushes tho. That can't be good news (unless I'm talkin pap )

But the wishbones are at the front of the car of course... :wink:

Those VT rear wishbone bushes do sound pretty cool, though I'm sure you lose the 'passive rear steer' if you replace with anything but the standard VW bushes tho. That can't be good news (unless I'm talkin pap )

But the wishbones are at the front of the car of course... :wink:

I was gonna say I thought they only had wishbones at the front.. ?

Yeah get Stealth to do all the bushes. They've got it down to a fine art, especially the rear axle ones!

Rear wishbone ones....I liked the VT ones I had in mine but they split on me :( I put some standard ones in but Vince reckoned the VT ones were OK..... not to my standards they weren't! Stick with standard mate.

K

If the front wishbone bushes are original and on their way out (mine are, at 135,000) would it be fair to say the ball joints could do with replacing too (OK at MOT but probably well worn when the weight of the car is on them), might as well do them while I'm in there?

David.