Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Clicking injectors

After replacing my water pump, belt and tensioner the engine is much quieter than before. I can now clearly hear the injectors clicking away at idle, but one inparticular seems to be noisier than the others (not sure which one though) and they all sound very loud to me. A mechanic friend has also commented on them being louder than normal.

Excuse my ignorance but why do they click in the first place, and why does the clicking get louder wich age/wear? Also, I've read somewhere before that this could cause lean running and hence melt-down on a piston with the dead/dieing injector, which I obviously want to avoid.

New injectors are VERY expensive, so was wondering if getting them cleaned would be advisabe? As far as I know they are the original (over 150000km's now) and never been cleaned!?

Dutch

The injector is basically a solenoid. When the solenoid windings are energised, the valve needle lifts by about 0.06mm (according to the valve design) and the fuel is then injected through a calibrated metering gap. The clicking you can hear is the solenoid opening and shutting. Louder clicking may indicate that the injector/s are worn.

In the manufacture of the valve needle and assembly of the injector, tolerances of 1 micron apply. This gives the injector the finest tolerance of any mechanical part on the engine!

Deposits on the pintle will alter the injectors spray pattern and fuel flow rate.

Dirt in the fuel can cause a build up of debris inside the filter basket and reduce the Fuel flow which will cause you to run lean.

I would consider replacing them as your car has done quite a few KMs.

Hope this helps

Garry, thanks for the explaination, now I get it. 8)

I would love to replace the injectors, but at 105 euro EACH, think I'll find somewhere that can clean them first to see if it helps.

What is the average lifespan of injectors then? Should just cleaning sort them or is it really necessary to get new ones??

Dutch

I think G-Man can get injectors cheap, but standard VR ones are £45 each direct from Bosch, which isn't horrendous imo....but still pricey cause there's 6 of the buggers!

Proper cleaning is around £20 each and includes testing, but if the solenoid is tired, it's new injector time as you can only replace the pintles and filters.

hmmm, 45 quid is better than 105 euro for sure, might try my local Bosch dealer then.

How cheap can g-man get 'em for then btw? ...will have to PM him.

Dutch

I can't remember, I seem to remember his name being mentioned in a thread about larger flow rate injectors.

£45 is the max I'd change all 6 at personally, any more then I'd get them refurbed. Still £270 for squirters tho, plus the SHAT! I'm sure one of the 5 of us that bought charger kits might sell you a set tho ;-)

lol, yeah I was thinking of asking, but guess all of your original injectors are just that, original and probably no better than my current ones!?

Dutch

I've got two sets of spares, you're welcome to try a set. If it fixes your problem then you're welcome to make a donation to the "Haywire recouping OBD2 outlay" fund :-)

When totally standard, the car made 200bhp with 192lb/ft on them, so they can't be that far off 8)

lol, not sure I actually have a problem though tbh. I never really paid much attention to the clicking before as I knew the belt/tensioner at least was sh&gged and now I've discovered the water pump bearing was shot too.

She's so much quieter now that I can hear the clicking (maybe also a sign of C hypochondrias? :) )

I also know they've never been cleaned and have fuelled +/- 160000 km's. Should they need replacing or am I worrying about nothing??

Dutch

Do you have any evidence that the car is running lean on one cylinder? Do you get uncontrollable pinking on one cylinder? Do you have VAG-COM throwing up "lean on bank N" or "unable to adapt fuel/air ratio" errors? Do you have lack of power? Do you have problems with rough running? Does it struggle to start in the morning?

If you can't say "YES!" to any of the above, I think you're worrying about nothing. Injectors just tick!

No I don't have any evidence that something is wrong, only the loud clicking.

I didn't realise the ECU logged lean running issues. It's showing nothing when I scan it so guess I am worrying about nothing.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Dr. :lol:

Dutch