Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Do I have a 2.8 VR6 in my 'rado?

Bought a 1993 VR6 recently, and only just noticed the plastic engine cover says "VR6 - 2.8" on it, too busy checking other bits out to notice a bit of plastic!

Now I suspect the original engine cover has been broken and replaced with this golf(?) one which must have been lying around at the time (and incidentally has a crack in it).

The car is defo a UK car and has full VW service history to now (101k miles!) with no record of a replacement engine. So VW must have broken both covers..... I am also a little disturbed that VW serviced it recently and didn't replace the very noisy belt tensioner bearing (on my to-do list).

How do you tell the difference between a 2.8 and 2.9?

Are the engine codes different? where can I find the code?

Just wanna check to make sure I have a 2.9!

Mine said that when i got it as well but it said ABV on the sticker on the side of the engine. The covers are about 50 quid from the dealers i think, my friend works for VW and got me one cheap but came with a blue VW badge and red writing

VW stopped making the DOHC covers because the engines aren't technically DOHC, they're SOHC, but because the banks of cylinders are so close, they're in the same head.

VW stopped making the DOHC covers because the engines aren't technically DOHC, they're SOHC, but because the banks of cylinders are so close, they're in the same head.

but i'd imagine the DOCH one's Kev's mentioned are even rarer!! :p :wink:

Well a loose (and bad) translation of DOCH VR6 would be something along the lines of 'indeed, it is a VR6' :lol:

Heh, panic over, its an ABV.

Would like a correct cover, but i'll make do without if they are £50!

Am a bit surprised really, would have thought a car with full VAG history would have a correct one if the dealer broke it? Maybe had someone else work on the car at some point :roll:

Or would they only be able to get a 2.8 one if I tried to order one?!

The rest of my car isn't "Bling" enough for that, and isn't ever going to be.....

I'll just keep my eyes open for a standard one. Cheers for the link though!

Ahh but it's double over HEAD cam shaft, not double over CYLINDER cam shaft, so technically it is a DOHC engine....but I hear what you're saying :wink:

it's actually a DSHOC (double, single overhead cam), with a common head.

Not a true "twin cam", you need to go for a 24v tp get that.

(still got one for sale BTW!)