Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Driven - MK V R32

Only my thoughts:

First impressions:

Deathly dull to look at, admittedly it was metallic black 5 door. Front end is particularly disappointing, the squat stance and subtle aggression of the previous R32 has been replaced by a tippy toe exec look, the aluminium effect grille looks extremely heavy handed

Side on it looks just like a bog standard MK V with a set of 18" rims which in themselves are going to be an absolute pig to keep clean.

From the rear the smoked rear lenses are smart but VW seems to have gone down the "fashion" route with the centre tailpipes which on the car I drove were already tarnished (the car had less than 50 miles on the clock)

Interior wise, the aluminium effect trim looked like it was a refugee from Hafords, especially around the ashtray area in front of the gearlever. It was fitted with the optional sports seats that looked great but the interior has none of the rock solid quality and general "rightness" about it that the MK IV had in spades

Driving impressions - remember this was a brand new car:

Steering - light but very accurate, lovely steering wheel

Ride - firm but with an underlying suppleness to it, great compromise seems to have been reached but a lot of prospective owners may find it a bit too firm

Handling - very neutral, seemed more progressive than the previous R32, transfer of power to the rear wheels seemed much more immediate and unobtrusive

Engine - gorgeous exhaust note and a nice snarl when extended whilst at the same time as being very refined at a cruising speed, felt hampered by the weight it was having to lug around

Transmission - it was a DSG, seemed much snappier than the one I tried in an A3 3.2 twelve months ago

Refinement - very quiet, little wind noise but there were a few squeaks from bits of trim in the cabin

Summary - the exterior and interior styling would put me off, very pleasant driving experience but not good enough to override the slightly "chav" feel to the grille, exhausts and interior trim. I felt that the GTI was hardly any slower, pointier and more chuckable chasis and still a great chassis. I'd take a nicely specced GTI and pocket the difference for a re-map and Milltek

Just got back from a few days in Barcelona and was very surprised to see one of these driving up La Rambla one evening.

Was absolutely gob smacked at the dullness of the exterior styling of it - i've been expecting it to look dissapointing after seeing it in a few motoring mags, and sad to say it looked just as dissapointing in the metal.

I much much MUCH preferred the styling of the MK4 R32 - that has real presence but the MK5 just has none of that!

Wish I could comment on how it drove though :(

interesting review.

MK4 R32 is actually one of the cars on my hit list to buy now the S3 has gone.

Seeing that the new MK5 sounds a bit naff though ... maybe it wont affect the 2nd hand price of the MK4 like i was hoping it too.

MK IV GTis are taking a really hammering in the guides at the moment and R32 prices are definitely showing signs of easing up too - I'd take a MK IV R32 over the new one every time

saw a mk5 r32 today...underwhelming or what!

it looks too tall, with add on bits that do'nt make it look any more menacing (read mk4 r32). It could go like stink but I would feel like a tool, there is no kudos with them...

Got to agree, the Mk4 R32 is on my hitlist at the moment for a second car.

I think that for the extra money, the new R32 would be quite easily replaced by the new GTI. Don't think the R is worth the extra dough.

Yeah.. out of the MKV GTI and R32, i'd take the GTI to be honest. I don't feel the R32 looks any better than the GTI and whilst the engine is going to be a peach, just don't think it justifies that extra cost.

Not that it matters from my point of view - i'm not going to be able to afford anything like that sort of car for a long long time.. but going purely on "would I really like one of those" I just feel the new R32 is a big let down looks wise.

Well I ain't getting rid of the C! lol

So yeah it would be a second car, although it would be between me and the missus.

But... unfortunately I can't see it within the next year anyway so I'll see what comes up once the bird passes her test.

So your missus' first car after passing her test would be an R32?

I hope your dad owns Direct Line or something...:)

No.. he lives on the Isle of Man.. they don't even need an alarm/immob fitting in order to get insurance. It sounds like a sort of 'we can leave our cars open and our silverware on the lawn' type place! :)

jim....lol...that's hilarious....when i take the wife back to canada she's amazed that people leave their front doors unlocked.....

I live on the outskirts of Sheffield, and in the 7 years weve lived here I dont think weve ever locked the door at night the garage is hardly ever locked and the car I dont think my wife knows how to lock, so if theres any thieves on here give us a shout and Ill pm you my full address......its very rural though so I must warn you about the sheep and the inbred farmers.

Am I correct in saying that they have only gained an extra 13 BHP between the mark IV and mark V as I recall reading the mark IV as 237bhp and markV as 250bhp?

Likewise I have been considering my second car a lot lately and until I can pick up a R32 for 15k ish I will be sticking with the Raddo Full Time. (Whilst writing this I thought I would check out AutoTrader Nationwide and you can actually pick up a R32 for 15.5k with very reasonable mileage...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The only problem with this would be the temptation of ripping the R32 apart to stick into the Raddo.

Saw a review on the Mk5 R32 the other day...think it was on Automundial (Men and Motor's finest!) and their conclusion was to the save yourself the extras 4 or 5 grand cash and get the fully spec'ed GTI!.....shame, was hoping for it to be a real winner! :roll:

Although, didn't somebody say on another thread that the new R32 beat the new STi on all counts?!...that can't be bad. The Mk4 R32 is still on my shopping list though.

It's a shame the MK5 R32 has not really lived up to expectations, although I have not driven either, I think I would be hamkering for a remapped MK5 GTI if possible...Although if it's new hatches we're talking about, I'm very interested in the new Focus ST.

It's a shame the MK5 R32 has not really lived up to expectations, although I have not driven either, I think I would be hamkering for a remapped MK5 GTI if possible...Although if it's new hatches we're talking about, I'm very interested in the new Focus ST.

Hmmm, there's 2 things wrong with the new Focus ST - the badge on the front and the badge on the back!.....INCOMING!!! :D

Hehe, well I think the £2k I would save burning a whole in my back pocket might make up for that, and let's just reserve judgement til we see how they compare on a track, because the ST is doing the Nurburgring 10sec quicker then the old RS so the MK5 GTI will have it's work cut out.. But in terms of quality, Ford has actually caught up with VW IMO

I expect the ST will be quicker than the Golf round the track but that doesn't bother me too much. I'd sacrafice a bit of performance for class and pedigree. A remapped GTI (like the AmD demo car) is still a serious tool though, so it's a perfect all-rounder. Like Tiff said, in the Golf you can rock up at the poshest Hotel and fit in quite well!

The GTI has the heritage, but class is subjective, I do however still think the GTI will be a better all round tool probably, but I don't think they have been put head to head yet so we will just have to see, and the ST will easily be as receptive to tuning as the GTI, but as far as turning up at posh places in your car is concerned, I couldn't give a monkeys really what others thought of my car, as long as I liked it.

But in terms of quality, Ford has actually caught up with VW IMO

My mothers 04 Fusion is a bag of poo. She's done 9k in it from new and its had the clutch changed twice (( semi auto so not down to her lack of driving skills )) , it's had new rear suspension, and still knocks and rattles all over the place, it's got a serious engine management fault that they have no idea/ interest in how to fix. I've really been shocked and appauled at their build quality and aftersales service.

Just my tuppence :D

Although, didn't somebody say on another thread that the new R32 beat the new STi on all counts?!...that can't be bad. The Mk4 R32 is still on my shopping list though.

Yeah that was Car that came to that conclusion. They put it up against the new 260bhp BMW 130i and the current STI scoob.

Obviously the Scoob won on outright pace but overall, Car felt the Golf was the better package.....easily beating both for feel, construction quality (especially the interior), better manners on the road, less fussed by pot holes and broken tarmac and the most relaxed to drive on long journeys.

I've always considered VWs to be a bit ham sandwich. Fundamentally sound and do the job but could do with a bit of mustard. It's up to us modders to add the spicy mustard goodness....and we do...and have done for many years :-) Who'd have thought the B3 Passat would appear at shows, decked and on 19s when it was first released? Don't write the MK5 off just yet!

I'd like the R32 in black and 3 door....and I'd defo get that ghastly grille black anodised. The wheels are horrid too, too fussy. I'd perhaps use the 18" GTI ones.

VW are trying to appeal to the showy market but they're just too conservative and their attempt at a blinged grille is terrible. Stick to what you know and do best dubya!

No confirmation on the R36 - there is a 3.6 litre V6 being produced for US spec Passats and it is logical that it will go into the Golf but no official line on this