Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Driven - MK V R32

I really can't help the oversion to Fords (and Vauxhalls). I'm sick of driving around in tinny, medioka pool cars because they don't want to shell out for German engineering. The other day I had a MK5 TDI hire car and what a difference that made! Still it could be worse, could end up with a Renault that breaks all the time (quite apt that VBH knackered the Megane on Fifth Gear the other night!).

I continue to fail to understand why car designers/accountants insist of making what are top of the range drivers cars all chaved up when it comes to the interior.

What crazy market research/ bad idea convinces them that the people buying R32's want an interior that looks like a 17 year old has 'styled' it with his mates to look 'wiked'

Aside from that it sounds like it drives very well which makes it even more of a shame about the styling or lack of it.

Foci's consistently come out top in terms of driver appeal and you can't deny that Ford have got a racing heritage which goes back much farther than VW's. The Focus's are pretty well screwed together, they're certainly not the rattly shells people like to believe they are. VW's aren't the be all and end all in quality and marque. All "GTi" type varients of bog standard family cars have stuck on plastic trim etc to set them apart from the poverty spec models.

All the recent good Ford engines have all been subject to outside influences:

Twin Cam - Lotus

BDA - Cosworth

Zetec 1.7 - Yamaha

24V V6 - Cosworth

Duratec 1.8 / 2.0 - Mazda

Ford seem able to build strong engines but engines that add rather than detract from the driving experience seem to be very few and far between

It's an interesting point although Ford chose to associate themselves with those partners in order to bring in the materials or expertise or whatever in order to satisy their objective whether it be to make an F1 engine or an engine for a Fiesta based coupé. I'd give them credit for that rather than criticism?

(Wasn't the lotus twink based on the Ford?)

The 1.6 Lotus Twin Cam was based on the Ford crossflow engine, Harry Munday was the man behind its conversion to Twin Cam spec.

The later 2.0 / 2.2 litre Lotus Twin Cam was based very loosely on a Vauxhall block IIRC and first saw service in the Jensen-Healey, although many people will argue that there was no Vauxhall base - seems to be a classic case of urban myth and rumour.

Andy "Encyclopedia" 665! :lol:

If you were at all interested there was a good geeky (meant in a good way) article in Practical Performance Car on the Lotus twink a couple of months back.

(The Vauxhall Redtop XE is another good 2 litre 16V unit though)

We are on a Corrado forum, so of course people will say VW are better, but let's just be realistic, comments like "but it's a Ford" are hardly presenting a cogent argument now are they?

All Im saying is lets not get carried away like VW are untouchable, because like every other manufacturer, they aren't. So if we could just take off the rose tinted glasses for a minute..LOL

And when I mentioned Ford catching up VW I was only referring to the MK2 Focus, not the fusion.

But I have a MK5 TDI as a pool car aswell, so I am well aware of it's merits and downfalls..

All credit to Ford - they've done a great job in the last 10 years. The Puma was the first Ford I thought I actually might like (well, except for the Capri and XR3i from The Professionals when I was a kid :) )

The StreetKa was a wasted opportunity though. What happened to the rumoured decent engine that was going to go in it? That could have been a great with a decent amount of power.

I was impressed with the Mondeo TDCI I drove recently. Not so impressed with the Focus though - either one. For some reason they always felt like a car you sit ON, not IN.

well there's no denying the mk1 focus is better handling then a mk4 golf, and the mk2 focus is better handling then amk5 golf, thats not to say it is a better car all round tho.

The current fiesta is rumoured to be recieving a 180bhp version of the current 2.0 unit, should be quite formidable..

The StreetKa was a wasted opportunity though. What happened to the rumoured decent engine that was going to go in it? That could have been a great with a decent amount of power.

Do you mean SportKa mate? The StreetKa is the convertible one that they launched with Kylie draped all over it!

Well whatever engine they do have is pretty weedy.. even my lowly 115PD can outpace them. There is a lad who sometimes ends up behind me in the traffic on the way to work and he drives his SportKa about an inch from your bumper, matches your speed exactly all the time no matter how quickly you go. Lets just say that when I do decide to give it beans, he's clearly trying to keep up but just can't.

Vive la torque.

My (girl)friend's got a SportKa and I have to take the VW "high ground" on that one! It really is like sitting in a baked bean tin, the plastics are hard as nails and it's not very well screwed together. Still, they're only a £9K car I suppose. It's quite peppy though and is perfect for whipping down narrow lanes. (it's even got AC and leather!)

There is a lad who sometimes ends up behind me in the traffic on the way to work and he drives his SportKa about an inch from your bumper, matches your speed exactly all the time no matter how quickly you go. Lets just say that when I do decide to give it beans, he's clearly trying to keep up but just can't.

Vive la torque.

Played :)

I expect the ST will be quicker than the Golf round the track but that doesn't bother me too much. I'd sacrafice a bit of performance for class and pedigree. A remapped GTI (like the AmD demo car) is still a serious tool though, so it's a perfect all-rounder. Like Tiff said, in the Golf you can rock up at the poshest Hotel and fit in quite well!

what a load of old horse. who wants to fit in?

snob :) :) :)

also i've got to defend ford a bit too.

the fusion is a complete dog, granted. sh*te.

and the Ka is a 15 year old fiesta design so no suprise its a bit poo.

but the focus is a quality car (mk1). very well designed and made. very good to drive. amazingly reliable. can actually take a real beating and live with it.

but i'd still take a veedub every time.

people always slag fords off,the mk1/2 rs models are fetching serious money,and id say they are the most popular rally car for the clubman competitors

Well whatever engine they do have is pretty weedy.. even my lowly 115PD can outpace them. There is a lad who sometimes ends up behind me in the traffic on the way to work and he drives his SportKa about an inch from your bumper, matches your speed exactly all the time no matter how quickly you go. Lets just say that when I do decide to give it beans, he's clearly trying to keep up but just can't.

Vive la torque.

well considering the SportKa/StreetKa only have 94bhp and a lot less torque than yer "lowly" 115PD.........of course you should show it a clean pair of heels :twisted:

also i've got to defend ford a bit too.

the fusion is a complete dog, granted. sh*te.

and the Ka is a 15 year old fiesta design so no suprise its a bit poo.

but the focus is a quality car (mk1). very well designed and made. very good to drive. amazingly reliable. can actually take a real beating and live with it.

but i'd still take a veedub every time.

you'll find the Ka a surprisingly nippy and good handling shopping trolley..........as for a 15yo design.........its not really based on the mk3 Fiesta(other than the 1.3 engine) its based on the mk4 Fiesta which was a lot better a base than the mk3...............me and the missus have had 3 in total from 1997 to date we have only had 2 years without a Ka

I can't really say that I feel that the Ka is nippy but it is a good shopping kart, most definately.

My Golf is currently off the road pending fitment of a new alternator and new downpipe on Thursday and my girlfriend has very kindly loaned me the use of her car provided I pick her up and take her back home from work every day. Seems fair enough!

It seems to be pretty comfortable, and handles actually quite well coming from the jelly like MK4 Golf. My only complaint is the very thrashy / tappety engine! Its only done 32,000 steady miles yet sounds a bit tired!

they all do..................well all the endura E's not surprisingly as the basic engine has its roots from the early 60's................the engine in the SportKa/Streetka is a bit sweeter but still can sound hoarse at its limit..............bear in mind too that the basic models have just over 60bhp.......drive a VAG car with that sort of power and it is deathly slow compared to the basic Ka's

My missus has had a Ka for over 3 years now and spent a total of £2.05 on it in that time, i'm sure it'll go wrong eventually but up until now it's been faultless and it's 6 years old.

Oh and guess what, she wants to 'upgrade' to a streetKa before christmas!

I have a 'Endura' Fiesta for nipping back and fore to work in and its the same story here. Crummy car but its been faultless and I've serviced it myself for practically 0 cash!

Back on topic, I have tested both the new GTi and new R32 and I felt the GTi was actually the better drive, plus it looks so much cooler. So I wouldn#t buy an R32.

Prob is the GTi wasn't all that impressive, and always lives in the R32's shadow so I wouldn't buy a GTi either.

Hence I went for a used M3. On my 2nd now and loving it!!!

Here's a fact about the R32 which shocked me - it weighs more than my 3.2 litre 3 series coupe!!!