Sign in to follow this  
dubbprince

VR6 CLUTCH-where from??

Anyone know where I could buy a Sachs powerclutch or a standard sachs clutch from??

I've been on a number of sites...stealth racing are busy at the min and i can't ask vince there. I need the clutch for a 20vt engine, and i've been qouted £431 by triple 8 performance (sachs dealer) for a clutch kit.

GSF no longer do them apparently, which is what i was told at both the daventry and coventry branches...unless steve can tell me otherwise :cry:

If anyone know of a 'cheap' clutch that can handle tuned VR power (200-250bhp)...not crazy standing starts but daily driving, then please let me know.

Sanj.

what make is this standard kit? and would it be able to cope with the power...

I'd buy a black diamond clutch, but have heard the friction plate is just OE and the rest is too strong that it breaks...

No-one has a Sachs clutch in their VR?

Sorry Tom...haven't been on the forum much recently and didn't realise.

Sanj.

.. and some bits fettled and honed by VW themselves, as I understand it.

Yes, the supercharged VR guys are mostly running standard VR clutch with no problems I think, so I wouldn't worry about anything else unless you're going for silly power ...

just spoke to vince at stealth...he recommends the stand VR clutch from GSF...LUK or whatever...it'll do the job, so thanks guys...search is over for the time being..

Also got a qoute on a Helix Clutch for £280 from them i think minus VAT.

I called Vince about a helix clutch earlier this year and his reply was to fit a standard VR one as they are good for 300bhp.

I've got a Luk clutch from GSF and it handles the power ok but it's really juddery. I think some Sachs clutches too had similar problems. I'd definitely go for a genuine VW item.

just spoke to vince at stealth...he recommends the stand VR clutch from GSF...LUK or whatever...it'll do the job, so thanks guys...search is over for the time being.

Really?? - He's had no end of problems with replacing clutches under warranty over the last year or so and last time I spoke to him he said he's only fit genuine VAG from now on...

Have you seen this thread?

I am using a Sachs clutch kit with my charged/Nos VR and yes it judders like a bitch, crap after a while but was fine to start with, i think with plenty power they get hot and must deteriarate or buckle in some way!

Chris

Why not just order one direct from GSF on their website http://www.gsfcarparts.com. I'm sure they still do them.

Part number is 18973 for the Sachs one and 18973L for the LUK. Sachs one is apparently better than the LUK. I have one in my 20VT and its fine with 280BHP, no juddering at all. Remember if you haven't changed the dual mass flywheel on the engine you will need to do so to fit the clutch. You will need a spline tool to remove the cover plate.

They are "fine", but as stated above, they *can* be juddery. And it's a bit late when you've fitted it to find that out, so unless you're into swapping clutches till you find one that works, IMHO it's best to pay the (small amount) extra up-front and get the VW one..

It's the VR in particular that seems to suffer with juddering when changing a clutch and believe me, I know all about it because I'm on my 3rd clutch (warranty replacements) because of it. You might be OK with the 20V engine.

The GSF parts, although the same as the dealer ones, just aren't made to dealer standards. They're made for the third party market, not quite B stock, but not far off imo. LUK/SACHS have to supply VAG with the best quality or they'll lose the contract because VW won't take kindly to replacing clutches under warranty every week because of juddering.

I would strongly recommend replacing the flywheel when doing a VR clutch. They're only £70 exchange and that includes a new ring gear.

I've done about 12,000 on my VAG clutch now and it's totally judder free and yep, it can handle a lot of grunt.

I was waiting for Kev to comment! :)

Vince had to shout at SACHS Uk for some time before they admitted that they a) were selling refurbed clutches as new and b) had production quality issues.

They wanted to send someone down to watch him fit a clutch, to see if he was doing it right and he told them that was no problem, but that he wouldn't be fitting a SACHS clutch when he did it .. ;)

Vince had to shout at SACHS Uk for some time before they admitted that they a) were selling refurbed clutches as new and b) had production quality issues.

They wanted to send someone down to watch him fit a clutch, to see if he was doing it right and he told them that was no problem, but that he wouldn't be fitting a SACHS clutch when he did it .. Wink

Thats the difference i think, the Pattern boxed ones are re-manufactured and the VAG ones are completly new... you couldn't tell unless you sat them side by side...

Mines just starting to judder ever so slightly, and hum when slipping the clutch from cold. (as in pulling away not sat on a hill!!)

But its done 127,000 so has faired none to bad i think!