Sign in to follow this  
dark_sounds

newbie....

hi all, was advised to come on here from ed38 as im now looking for a corrado :) ive always been VW just never could insure the corrado,,, though now i can!! :twisted:

though having spent so much time researching golfs,,, i havnt looked at corrados much,,, i know as much as they look awsome..

anyway,,, deciding between 1.8 16v, 2.0 16v or a g60.... i have a budget of about 1500-2000 on the car,,,

insureance the same on all of them with elephant for some reason . ..

what would you guys recommend? any links to stat sheets? is there much difference between 1.8 and 2.0? g60-whoopage?

all help very much appreciated... :) cheers

your budget would get you a nice 1.8 or 2.0 16v, or a 'fair' g60 which may need a little work. performance wise theres very little in it between the 1.8 and the 2.0, the 1.8 has no cat where as the later 2.0 does, and the larger capacity compensates for the power it saps. the 2.0 will have the later style body/interior which I think is a little nicer than the early style, though theres not much difference.

g60 rules the roost in terms of tuing potential, 200+ bhp is do-able, but as I say i think your budget would get you one that needs work.

best of luck finding the one you want! :D

I just sold my Aqua blue pearl g60 for £2k :(

If you look around you could get yourself a little bargain like the guy that bought mine, or the guy that bought RACK's (( from here ))

It depends really on how much expendable income you've got that you're prepared to lash out on your car, it's not just the initial outlay, the g60 will cost you more to keep running properly than a 16v will.

I'm sure whatever you buy you'l enjoy.

Good Luck

buy a 2ltr - good mpg, good performance and lots of fun. there a good way to start your Corrado ownership.... infact, I'm selling one cos I bought another!!! :lol:

seriously a valver is a good introduction to C ownership, lets you see if you can afford the time and the money and theres lots of nice cheap and easy mods you can do to personalise it.... you can always go for a g60 or a VR later.....

oh, and welcome by the way....!

right good stuff,,, so theres a different style of body after what year??? do any of the g60s have it??

also whats more economical? a g60 or the2.0? anyone got any links to stat sheets? 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile? mpg?

again thanks for your help :)

btw nice car scarlett ;)

theres a sticky somewhere about the differences, they're subtle. Came about when the VR6 was launched (1992?), which replaced the g60, so as far as i know, all g60s have the early style body/interior (could be wrong!)

valver is always going to be more economical than the g60, thou i dont think its by much.

Welcome to the family... Just came onboard myself after buying a cheap G60.

I think you can get a G60 with late styling, I believe 92 was the changeover year so you get some that are half and half. After that it's all late styling. Although personally I like the early styling exterior myself. Just a personal preference.

My G60 was getting about 34mpg on the last motorway trip... but I had to treat it with kid gloves as it was straight after a full charger rebuild.

there are some differences between the shape of the bonnet/bumper and a larger fuel tank on the late body.... some, like my valver, were crossover, later body and early interior... theres not much difference...

check out the buyers guide, am sure it explains it all....

as for mpg, from personal experience expect 30-35 mpg from a valver, more if you dont have a heavy right foot!

hth....

do you want speed?

If so go G60, you soon get a bit bored of the 16v - the power is just to high up in the rev range sometimes. I drive a 2l16v and would always opt for the 2l for the ABS! Not sure if the g60 got ABS later in life but the early ones dont as far as i know. As for running costs - there is no cheap corrado :lol: always somethig that needs doing but its part of the fun.

I think ABS was standard on late G60's. However, as the cars are Karmann built you'll find there are no 2 Corrado's the same! (probably a bit of an exaggeration but you get the picture)