Sign in to follow this  
designrob

Nearly broken door handle! I think!!

The drivers side door handle hasnt broken yet, but it takes me a good 5-6 tugs of the handle for it to open and its getting worse! :roll:

Is this a case of buying a new handle or do you think I can repair it?

Ive searched the database but couldnt find anything on this particular subject!

cheers

Cheers dazzy

Sorry didnt explain it very well, the door opens fine once its engaged the latch thingy(rob tech term! :wink: ). But it takes quite a few pulls for the handle to engage the mechanism which allows the door to open. And I have to have the handle pulled right out for it to release the door!

hello all

Designrob, this is a common problem on rados. BUT there is a solution other then buying a new handles thus needing a seperate key. This happened to me AND other day pass side broken and ive not yet fixed. Look on ebay, you can buy the little bit of metal that is the culprit for breaking and not allowing you to open the door. Ok for just 2 "indistructable" (according to the auction) pieces of metal it'll cost £30 but thats cheaper then the handles and no need for seperate key. It comes with instructions and may take you 10-30 mins depending on if you come across any problems. If you need any help mate give us a bell.

Ill try find you the auction so you can email the bloke. From germany i think.

But really its not that hard. take the handle out. There'll be a little pin that hollow. you have to screw a self tapping screw to grip the pin and pull it out. The broken bit of metal will be able to be taken out. Put the new bit of metal in and the new pin you also get. Grease it up! and fit the handle back on. BINGO there you go, a working handle.

Critical_Mass: Thats great mate, I will look on ebay now. Much cheaper and better idea than replacing the whole lock and having another set of keys!!!

Really appreciate ur advice.

Ben16v: Will pm him now, cheers chaps

Though if you buy a new handle, it's the work of about 30 seconds (literally) to change the lock barrels over so you still keep your original key... ;)

Just another thought and a possible cheap solution, my brother had a stiff handle and lubricated with WD40. It's no good squirting the stuff in the lock though or on the visible latch area, apparently you have to undo the big gold screw inside the door jam (above the latch) and the handle then pulls away from the door. Squirt WD all over the innards and it may be better - i've tried his and it works like new now! I'm doing mine tomorrow as that's stiff as well.

:wink: mmm. Didnt think you could do that!

How do you get the lock barrels out?

There's a circlip on the very back of the lock barrel - take it off, put key in lock barrel and turn it, and the barrel just slides out...

Refitting is, as they say, the reverse of removal! :)

My Cs passanger door pin raises about

about 3\4s and drops down abit an won't

let door open... so my girl friend's cousin

had to slid across the the seats and shes

a BIG GIRL with a big a**, and she would'nt

even take her big coat off! Kickin the dash.

Anyway, has anyone ever had this problem?

and how do you fix it? cheers

My Cs passanger door pin raises about

about 3\4s and drops down abit an won't

let door open... so my girl friend's cousin

had to slid across the the seats and shes

a BIG GIRL with a big a**, and she would'nt

even take her big coat off! Kickin the dash.

Anyway, has anyone ever had this problem?

and how do you fix it? cheers

ok ive taken my door card off. And have bought daves repair kit for the handle. The instructions tell me to disconnect the cable to the pump! Anyone know how to do this? cheers

designrob, you need to peel away the lower corner (door lock end) of the plastic membrane and there you will find the central locking connector. You need to disconnect at that point, then you'll be able to remove the handle completely.

Yeah but it isnt absolutely necessary to take handle completely off, you can do it with out removing the cable. I did both doors without taking pump cable out (with some help of course). Yes, becareful that you dont pull on the cable too much. May take 2 people to get the original pin out though (one to hold handle other to put screw in and knock it out). Which ever way you want to do it. :changes:

Ive peeled away the membrane and can see where the cable goes into the pump, is that where I disconnect it, do I just pull it out, or unscrew at as there is a thread on it!

cheers chaps for the help

just do it without removing the cable mate

Have a go as above but I don't think you can pull the handle out very far, the cable isn't long enough.

Yeah you can pull it out far enough, arent sure if it depends on the individual handles. But mine i could pull out. Im not sure how the cable comes out, whether you jsut pull it out or not. Didnt want to break it so i did handle with cable attached. It'll be all gravy

ok, will give it a go tonight! As you can probably tell, im not the greatest at car maintenance!!! But giving it a go anyway! Who needs a door anyway :lol:

Billinjah I think ur right, much easier!

cheers dave

no worries mate. Dunno what the rest of you are like but i ask questions on here frequently as my knowledge of cars is limited. Thats what we're all hear for........ to help!