Nick

Sound-proofing

How much roughly will i need to do the whole car fairly well. Answers in approx spare footage please.

Depends what scale you use....

Small amount | medium amount | large amount | extremely large amount | sound-proofing to complete excess ...................................... | Haywire

:lol:

I'd start with the doors if it's stereo related sound deadening you're after. I've got two rolls of Dynamat Extreme in each door and there are no rattles when I turn up the stereo. At £25 a roll it's more down to how much you can afford!

kev has dynamatted most of europe and beyond , i'm sure he'll be along soon to give you a precise quantity :-)

VR6, :lol: yep the haywire scale

i've done both doors which made a big difference but if your running a big sub in the boot then more will be needed in there, i've got a vibe sub and the whole boot dances :-( , parcel shelf, numberplate holder etc but its expensive stuff , there is a thread where someone used b&q lagging iirc

I think if you're doing the whole car you've got to be looking at 8+ rolls or so?

Audioscape do their own sound-proofing as well.

Reminds me of one of the jobs that I've got planned for the Spring .... :( Yay

Gix - did you hear that he was actually considering dynamatting his BMC CDA? :lol: The guy's a legend!

i used the audioscape stuff , worked very well also used the neoprene rubber over the top of it

VR6, bmc cda lmoa but why do i think you're not joking :-)

he has complained he can hear the supercharger whining ! shortly to get a good lagging i fear !

I'd go for the Audioscape stuff on the basis that it's may not be considerably cheaper than the dynamat product but at least you're helping out a small-ish company run by genuinely nice blokes :)

LOL, why do all the sound proofing threads turn into tales of me dynamatting my toilet seat etc?! :-) It's always you aswell Tom!! :-)

I've done the roof, bonnet, boot floor and arches, under the rear seats (double layered), rear 1/4s and the doors. That's approx 4 square metres of Audioscape's stuff and equal to a shoal of skipjack tuna in weight ;-)

That's approx 4 square metres of Audioscape's stuff and equal to a shoal of skipjack tuna in weight ;-)

Is this in or out of season Tuna we're talking about here? :lol:

Also I hear that the Audioscape stuff is much better than the branded Dynamat stuff...

Hi

I was applying sound deadening to the car today and with much swearing at skinned knuckles as I tried to apply to the outer skin of the rear 3/4 panels I wondered if filling the space between the inner and outer skins with expanding foam might be an option - anyone done it or have any thoughts?

I don't think expanding foams the answer, you can get soundproofing in a fibreglass roll,looks and feels like the stuff you put in your loft ,any condensation would then run down through it into the drain holes !

I haven't tried it,but have wanted to ask the same question as you !

On the same theme,I insulated the underside of my parcel shelf with 25mm sound insulation,really noticed the difference !

I've always used a combination of Ivanhoe and Dynamat but heard really good things about the Silent Coat packs CAD sell so think I'm going to give that a go in the Corrado

Just fill the whole car with bean bag polystyrene beads through the sunroof, they'll work their way into every crevice...

Just fill the whole car with bean bag polystyrene beads through the sunroof, they'll work their way into every crevice...

:lol:

Or wear earplugs ? Turn your stereo up ? Or get old and a bit deaf like me, then it doesn't matter.....

We sell Silent Coat @ my shop as well as dynamat... tbh thers isnt really a diference between the two other than dynamat being over priced, i would recomend silent coat everytime, great product and very good value! seems to be stupid prices on line though? if anyone can get ur selves to our shop in oxford could sort you a very good deal on like 80sheets, i would say i could post it but the stuffs so heavy there would just be no point!

We sell Silent Coat @ my shop as well as dynamat... tbh thers isnt really a diference between the two other than dynamat being over priced, i would recomend silent coat everytime, great product and very good value! seems to be stupid prices on line though? if anyone can get ur selves to our shop in oxford could sort you a very good deal on like 80sheets, i would say i could post it but the stuffs so heavy there would just be no point!

I never go mad with it so I was only going for the door kit and the 20 sheet pack. Group buy anyone?

I never go mad with it so I was only going for the door kit and the 20 sheet pack. Group buy anyone?

I'd be interested