Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

If it needs all 4 probes. you can just stick them all in the system anyway. 2 infront of the cat and 2 after. It wouldn't look beautiful on a ramp but no one will be looking!!

Gavin

The probes would work but there's no guarantee a single cat would work aswell as twins in terms of how the exhaust back pressure is tuned.....

It's about surface area in the cat for cleaning up emissions. A more important concern is the single cats ability to flow as well the twin setup.

Naturally, 2 smaller cats are likely to flow more than one larger one. Which is why they have 4 and 5 valve engines.

Personally, I think it would be best to use the diameter of the std DP and exhaust as a guide for the Corrado set up.

High flow cats no good if they feed a inch and 3/4 system. The larger the better, up to a point.

Gavin

Exactly. As I have mentioned before, while I was doing my conversion I had a simple approach. If I could make it like it was in the MK4 I would, there is a reason VW spend millions and millions on development. The Corrado is a 14 year old car, so why fit the parts from the 14 year old car when you can fit the parts from the 5 year old car...

Obviously the cats are there for emissions, but everything works together on the modern engines so messing it about is risky. Fair enough if once its all done you feel it would benifit from a de-cat or a sport cat but at least you can fit a MK4 one straight in, like fitting it to a MK4.

Jay

So does each CAT and it's set of 2 lambda probes work on each bank of cylinders independently, or does the DP end in one section which then splits into 2 before tha 2 CATS? :?

Dutch

yes the probes monitor each bank of three cylinders.

In theory its possible to no have cats and just fit the rear probes in air somewhere (dangling) as the rear probes just check to see if the cats have cleaned the mixture up properly. they are effectively a switch. so being in fresh air would make them all clean and happy (unless you drove around middlesbrough lol :lol: )

Liking that.... the rear bank tends to run hotter than the front bank so with bank selective lambda, you can trim it up nicely for smoother and more efficient running.

What MPG does the 24V (2.8) return on average? I'd be suprised if it's less than the VR, which just hurls fuel in all 6 inlets at the same rate (except OBD2)...

I have been speaking to a couple of garages over here and they seem to think the 24v downpipe will fit the Corrado if it's mounted on MKIV engine mounts. I think Coxylaaaaaad has also mounted his on MKIV mounts and also uses the standard 24v DP.

Is this right or am I misunderstanding something? If so do the MKIV mounts fit the C without any modifications? If so could I then still use the VR cooling pipes etc. if I were to mount it this way?

Also, I've found a company that sells the 02M gearbox with a kit to convert it to fwd and to fit the Corrado for 1300 Euro's. It includes:

drive axles

drive flanges

modified engine mounts

4WD->2WD conversion kit for the gearbox

Shift mechanism with cabels.

02M Gearbox

They also sell just the conversion kit without the gearbox for 350 euro's.

So, if I'm understanding it all correctly, I can mount the 24v on MKIV mounts and fit the 02M gearbox with the above mentioned kit and then use the standard 24v DP??

I'm guessing it's not that easy though and it would be easier using the VR mounts and getting a DP made?

Isn't the 02M gearbox 6 speed though??

Dutch

This is a quote from above mentioned company:

"6-speed 4WD R32 gearbox transversion for VR6 2WD

We now sell a complete R32 gearbox transversion, from 4 wheel drive to front wheel drive, for less then a Quaiffe 6speed transversion.

The Quaiffe 6-speed is much weaker then our transversion. Also the older 02A VR6 transm. is nothing compared to the indestructable 02M transmission.

This is THE setup for your turbo high torque car.

Includes:

Drive axles

02M Gearbox

drive flanges

engine mounts

4WD->2WD conversion kit for the gearbox

Shifting mechanisme and kabels."

Thoughts anyone - Jay, Phat, Coxy??

It's the same company that makes those lovelly VR6 manifolds and charge coolers for the Vortech I posted last week btw.

Dutch

That conversion is for fitting it to a VR on VR mounts, not a 24v on MK4 mounts.

If you mounted the engine on the MK4 mounts all you would need to do is make new drive shafts and fabricate a positioning mount for the Rear "dog bone" MK4 mount and use the 4wd to 2wd conversion kit. Not sure about the downpipe if you use MK4 mounts.

If you use an 02A VR6 box all you have to do is fabricate a downpipe.

I know which one I would do.....

Jay

Hmmm, the mk4 mounts totally differently though doesnt it, it has 2 chassis mounts and a dog bone mount and up front a conventional one. Granted one chassis mount is for the gearbox but that would mean that you have to have 2 chassis mounts made and from my understanding the corrado chassis rails are not really strong enough for this, i may be wrong here though!

Withe the fact that your car is LHD(i am assuming this) could you not use the standard 12v downpipe as a template and work from that, in other words line it up beside a 24v downpipe and see the differences anyone got pics of the 2?

the 12v will clear all suspension and steering rack, so you can get that copied to get the line and then have the top part of the 24v to match the exhaust manifold from the new engine.

If you know anyone with a pipe benders you can make the pipes yourself, even if they are mild steel to start with you can then get them done in heavier material after

Yeah I'm tending to favour the cheaper and easier option it the moment!

I know of a guy/company localish to me that made the DP for my mates 20vt C conversion too, and he's well happy with the quality/workmanship so may as well go the simple route, for now!

The guy at the company selling the gearbox kits reckons they have alot of 24v conversions using the 02A gearbox developing problems, as they say it can't handle the extra torque?

I didn't believe this either!! :)

Cheers,

Dutch

rmn, Good point on the DP. Yes mine is LHD too.

The part that puts me off is having to get it trailored to a shop so they can make the damn thing. If I could get one fabricated before I fit the engine that would be perfect.

So, anyone got pics. of the 2 DP's??

Dutch

Hmmm, the mk4 mounts totally differently though doesnt it, it has 2 chassis mounts and a dog bone mount and up front a conventional one. Granted one chassis mount is for the gearbox but that would mean that you have to have 2 chassis mounts made and from my understanding the corrado chassis rails are not really strong enough for this, i may be wrong here though!

The inner wings / chassis legs are plenty strong enough to support the weight of the engine if you use the MK4 mounts. You just cut the mounting plates out of the MK4 (or use new ones) and weld them onto the rado legs. Seen plenty of Rados with MK4 engines done this way, including John at Stealth's 350+ bhp 1.8T C ;-)

My personal preference would be MK4 engine + MK4 mounts but the way others have done it is plenty good enough, I'm just a purist :-)

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/download.php?id=25978

Heres one I did last week.

I also have a custom stabiliser bar (dog bone) as the mk4 one is a] rubbish and b] too long. Pictures to follow

Dutch, seeing as you are getting the cats it would probablies make sense to get a 24v down pipe and use mk4 mounts? then you have the complete exhaust right back to the back seats.

I put mine in a day, albiet I I was replicating my yellow car.

moving the engine over and inch so the downpipe fits is just cheating

and, IMO, WRONG!!)

(just to wind coxy up!! ;-) )