Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

No worries mate, thanks!

I did think about chopping a bit of the fan housing, but not sure if that would leave enough room for engine movement or not. Curious how much space there is between yours when stationary.

Dutch

Forgot to add the pics to this thread :oops:

Just in case someone needs to seem them later on, here they are ;)

PS Not for the faint hearted :shock:

just a note on oil coolers.

remeber I said I couldn't get the front engine mount to fit due to my cooler? well I've just found out that the R32 oil cooler is bigger than the 2.8 one, probably why Jay managed to get his to fit and I didn't.

Any of you guys got the older style coil pack on your 24v engines? The mrs Golf has one, but mine doesnt, so it must have been the change over period. Anyhow, her car is running like a pig when the air is damp/wet unless warmed up to dry out, Im assuming cracked coil pack, anyone got any other ideas?

Also, is it the same as the 12v VR coil pack??

that would be it , i read some where the early ones are prone to cracking /braking up. whats the visible differences between them both??

looking at some pics of that coil pack its just the connector that different between the vr one & your wifeys car.

Just get a vr one,take the plastic off the top (where the part number is & where it might say BERU) undo the 4 x 8mm nyloc nuts & swap the connector for wifeys.

Job done

Ive got it drying out at the moment anyway, and some sealant on it so I'l put it back on tomorow when its had a chance to dry out properly, see if its the cause. Hope it is!

Quick q for anyone in the know.

I've just picked up a 24v PAS pulley and belt. The belt itself is a few mm shorter and thinner than the non air-co 12v belt. The pulley is also 1-2 mm less in diameter and in thickness too so no problems there.

I am running a brand new 12v PAS pump though and just wanted to check this combination is good for the conversion I'm doing? I.e, 12v pump with 24v pulley and belt.

Coxy, phat Stan or Jay, is this the same configuration as yours?

Thanks,

Dutch

Im sure mine is the 12v PAS pump with the 24v pulley. I know its the 24v belt as I changed it the other week. Cant see a problem running the whole 24v lot either tbh.

Sorry I forgot to include you to the 24v club Bigpants. It won't happen again honest :oops: :)

So you are running all 24v stuff, including the pump? Is your car actually driving yet btw? - and if so I presume you have no problems then with the PAS system?

I can remember reading somewhere that someone (pos. Jay?) had issues running the 24v pump with the 12v rack? The pump kept breaking so in the end they replaced with the 12v one and all was ok. Maybe I dreamt that though so I'm not sure anymore. Guess we'll see what happens once she's running!! :)

Mine will be the exact same setup as your then Stan by the sounds of it :)

Dutch

How's it going dude? You well? Not finished yet? ;)

I'm coming over in a few weeks if you need anything? Let me know squire :)

I'm good thanks mate, but am beginning to realise my short term memory's not what it used to be :( This June it'll be 10 years since I moved over here, which I suppose goes a long way in explaining that :)

I'm good for parts now thanks, unless you want to pop by Kevs and nick has nice Braille battery for me? :)

Give us a shout when your over though and you can pop by for some more "refreshments" if you like on the way to the Dam :D

Dutch

Stan, likewise mate. I'm using all the 12v VR cooling bits. I've even relocated the 24v aux. water pump from the front of the block back to the original 12v location to keep it looking OE 8)

Can you check something for me mate? Which fuel pipe coming into the engine bay connects to which fuel rail pipe on the engine? The top most one coming into the bay is the one from the pump, the middle is the breather and the bottom the return I think. Can someone confirm this? I'm not sure which fuel rail pipe the one form the pump connects too though?

Thanks,

Dutch

I used both from memory. Originally a 24v pump with 24v pulley (pump died) and I fitted the 24v pulley onto a second hand 12v pump. Worked fine.

jay

Im about to drive to Scotland mate so wont be on here for a week or so, I'll let you know when Im back.

Ive just bought an 2001 bora 24v 4motion,I want to advertise the fact that im breaking it,but how much should I ask for the complete engine/gearbox etc?

10p and I'll take it for spares :)

One went on the bay last week for 500, although it

was missing the ecu and few other bits iirc. Seen another go for 1100 recently somewhere with gearbox and ecu etc.

Have you finished your conversion yet btw?

Dutch