Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Searched for the price of schrick cams for the R32... £800 to buy, then you have installing and mapping on top - most people who've fitted them expect a £1700 bill... A Supersprint header and sport cats are almost £3000... Although Miltek are releasing (or have they already) their full system soon, which I would think would be less. No doubt induction kits are also more than the 12v.

Would I be right in saying everything from a tuning angle is significantly more expensive than the 12v? How do standard part prices generally compare?

Currently yes, because 24V tuning is still in it's infancy. The Venerable 12V has been played with for getting on 20 years, so there are loads of tuning parts manufacturers, which keeps the prices down.

When the dollar weakens again, consider Schimmel's 264 cams for the 24V. Word on the street is these are very, very good - http://www.spturboparts.com/aftermarket ... prod=16471

Cams, a good remap + extended rev limit should bag you 300 ponies with a decent fuel pump to back it all up.

Thats a good question. Never thought about it, I have done nothing as of yet with regards to the DVLA.

Insurance wasnt really much of an issue, didnt really change that much. You just have to make sure you will get current value for such a car.

By the looks of it mate you're not the only one! :lol: Surely your insurance company could wriggle out of stumping up the cash if your V5 docs didn't match the cars current engine or am I being overly paranoid?

Good news that the insurance didn't change much, might get a couple of 'what if' quotes before I actually start work on mine.

Guys, I just asked a guy on ebay who's breaking a golf VR6 engine about the bracket I need for the PAS pump/alternator and has sent me this photo (attached and bad quality). Is this the one I need? I think I read somewhere that some are 2 parts and that's not the right one, this one look like a 1 piece. And then I would need a 4mo tensioner to go with it as the VR one fouls the inlet manifold or something, is that correct?

Cheers :)

that looks like a 12v VR bracket - but someone else could confirm it better than i can.

Confirmed VAG-COM works fine with R32 conversions.

Stealth said the low sump is not an issue as it sits only marginally lower than the original 12v. Remembering its a shallower sump.

Factory R32 layout is also possible due to the current R32 pipework (think header tank location..).

All sounds too easy really! :)

that looks like a 12v VR bracket - but someone else could confirm it better than i can.

Confirmed VAG-COM works fine with R32 conversions.

Stealth said the low sump is not an issue as it sits only marginally lower than the original 12v. Remembering its a shallower sump.

Factory R32 layout is also possible due to the current R32 pipework (think header tank location..).

All sounds too easy really! :)

hey Rob - can't see clearly from the pic, but as Leon says; that looks like a 12v item...

Leon, apologies i haven't been on here for quite a few days now so i haven't been able to answer questions - looks like Kip_VR has been doing a pretty good job though :)

VAG-COM does indeed work as it should with the conversions - i still have full use of VAG-COM. i'm getting holsd of my own lead shortly, so i'll be able to show anyone who interested in future...

my sump sits more or less level with the bottom of the subframe - perfect really!

you can retain all the original R32 coolant pipework etc, but IMO it's a lot easier just to keep the original VR stuff...

it really is an easy conversion when it comes down to it - only difficult part is the wiring; most people seem to do as i did and chicken out and let someone else do it for them. google "south west in car tech" - top bunch down there and they'll sort you out :)

if you're doing the conversion and keeping the VR flywheel/clutch/gearbox as most people seem to do, listen up - this is important.

my car developed a very nasty rattle a couple of days ago that i originally pinned on the gearbox.

it turns out that it was in fact THE FLYWHEEL RATTLING!!! :shock:

i used the R32 bolts to hold the flywheel on - DON'T! make sure you use the VR flywheel bolts.

the heads of the R32 bolts are much smaller than those of the VR bolts (see attached pic below). they not only won't hold the flywheel as securely as the VR bolts with the larger heads, but there is a fraction of a difference in the play in the holes in the flywheel as well (the R32 bolts have more play than the VR items).

the fact that mine was rattling could be down to a number of issues - my flywheel is an ally item, so is obviously softer than the original VR steel jobbie, and with the smaller headed R32 bolts, they would have "squished" into it more easily. also i think that my torque wrench is now telling me lies as this is the second incident like this where things have been set to a certain torque and turned out not to be good enough.

if you've got the original steel flywheel then hopefully you shouldn't suffer this; either way, i would still use the VR bolts...

so from this it seems that the gearbox place is not to blame for my current woes! apologies for slandering their name so badly. (i'm actually going to ring the guy shortly and apologise to him personally.)

edit - apologies for the terrible pic - going to see if i can get a better one on my phone/camera tomorrow. hopefully you should still get the idea from this though...

why is everyone changing the r32 alternator bracket for a 12v one?? when i did mine (dont ask :censored: ) i used the r32 alternator bracket with the r32 alternator and the r32 power steering pump, just used a belt for a v6 golf without air-con and that was that.

and glad you found out why your gearbox was making a noise pete,

Thats a good question. Never thought about it, I have done nothing as of yet with regards to the DVLA.

Insurance wasnt really much of an issue, didnt really change that much. You just have to make sure you will get current value for such a car.

By the looks of it mate you're not the only one! :lol: Surely your insurance company could wriggle out of stumping up the cash if your V5 docs didn't match the cars current engine or am I being overly paranoid?

Good news that the insurance didn't change much, might get a couple of 'what if' quotes before I actually start work on mine.

Nah I made sure I told them that the engine has been replaced with a 4motion one so they know the engine code will not match the V5 doc.

why is everyone changing the r32 alternator bracket for a 12v one?? when i did mine (dont ask :censored: ) i used the r32 alternator bracket with the r32 alternator and the r32 power steering pump, just used a belt for a v6 golf without air-con and that was that.

I didn't change mine either :shrug:

I didn't change mine either :shrug:

I have a Mk5 engine which has electric power steering so I need a MK4 or 4mo bracket to run the PAS/alternator etc the same as it is on the VR now.

And it is a 12v bracket I have pictured but I thought you could use a 12v one as long as it isn't a 2 part one? I'm probably wrong so will just get a 4mo one from the stealers to be safe really. Thanks anyway.

Was thinking about a new car to replace my Corrado, but nothing new excites me (except the Audi R8 but can't afford!). Decided that an R32 conversion and general upgrade of the Corrado is the way to go. Due to pressure of work and other long term projects, I just don't have time to do it myself. So, who do you guys recommend? Is Vince, refered to in posts, Stealth? Here's hoping to join the 'more power club'!

i think the 2 names that people would be fairly comfortable recommending are PSI Tuning and Stealth (yes, thats Vince).

Yeah Vince is Stealth, they charge in the region of £5.5k to provide a low mileage mk5 r32 and fit it and remap it. A mate got them to do this into his mk3 (hence i know the price), used his original gearbox, had/has loads and loads of problems with the conversion and they refitted his box even though it was gettign to the end of its life.

So it seems with them, they are very good but you need to make sure you have taken care of every additional part before it goes to them, i.e. provide/ask them to supply a new box/clutch, the necessary bigger diameter exhaust system etc then they can accurately map it there and then so you dont have repeat trips back and forth when the cars 'finished'

And conversely, I've seen a MK5 R32 install they did in a MK2 recently and it was flawless. Started and ran as if it were in a MK5, awesome :D

The customer had already converted it to an OBD2 VR6 previously and the car was maintained to a very high standard. Ground work like that is going to stand you in much better stead when dropping your car off for a conversion. Otherwise do you think Vince can charge his customers for every single missing clip, screw, bracket, and minute of labour to make a factory install - on a £5K retrofit budget? No chance! You have to be realistic. Schitt in, Schitt out. Vince isn't going to spend half his life fixing bodges on customers cars, and 80% of the cars I see go in there, that's exactly what they are. Botched Sheds. And then Vince gets the blame and flamed on here when things don't work out according to plan.

BTW, that wasn't aimed at anyone on here. Most of the corrados I see in there are well maintained, but there are some real sheds that end up on their doorstep. Often from other 'reputable' firms that couldn't fulfill the customer's requirements.

Just trying to put both sides of the story across :D

BTW, that wasn't aimed at anyone on here. Most of the corrados I see in there are well maintained, but there are some real sheds that end up on their doorstep. Often from other 'reputable' firms that couldn't fulfill the customer's requirements.

Just trying to put both sides of the story across :D

well i'll probably be taking mine there to remap when done, every garage has their good and bad stories but they seem to be the no.1 vr6 experts around (so i keep hearing) and they do r32 conversions into corrados so why not!

You don't fancy attempting it yourself? It's not that bad a job. Kip and Pete have done superb jobs on there's, well apart from Pete's rattly flywheel but you live and learn :D

Fabrication and install quality done by a 3rd party is always going to be open to debate as everyone's standards differ, but Vince's mapping certainly deserves very little criticism imo.

The MK5 R32 -> MK2 he did was a super job. All factory management, DBW, the lot. Everything can be disabled in software and be mapped to produce a nice 270-280hp, just how R32s should be.... freed from the strangehold of emissions crap.

What's the case with using the DBW? I have the TB but no pedal. Can I get any mk5 golf DBW pedal or does it have to be R32 specific? Any other ways of going about using the DBW?

Also I heard about the DBW TB fouling the bonnet, will this be the case with my Mk5 (Pete?)?

Here's a Mk5 Golf 2.0 GT TDI pedal on ebay, will that do?

Also does anyone know if the Golf V5 tensioner is the same as the 4mo/R32? It's in the same bracket on vwspares so wanted to check?

What's the case with using the DBW? I have the TB but no pedal. Can I get any mk5 golf DBW pedal or does it have to be R32 specific? Any other ways of going about using the DBW?

Also I heard about the DBW TB fouling the bonnet, will this be the case with my Mk5 (Pete?)?

Here's a Mk5 Golf 2.0 GT TDI pedal on ebay, will that do?

i think all the Mk5 petrol models have the same pedal, uncertain if the diesel pedal is the same. you'll need to get hold of a pedal, but using them is very easy - all you have to do is plug them into the loom and then decide exactly where you want to mount it in the footwell.

the Mk5 throttle body doesn't foul the bonnet - there is a surprising amount of clearance actually!

don't know for certain about the bracket i'm afraid...

one thing you could do - speak to Mark at South West In-Car Tech. he will defo know which pedals do what and i can recommend him for doing the mapping on your car as well - he has got the sensitive pedal issue all sorted and will give oyu very friendly service and keep you abreast of what's going on/what he's doing while he's at it :D

I don't think the V5 tensioner will fit tbh as the part numbers are different where as the part number is the same for pretty much all the VR6 engines and 2001 4mo engines.