Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

decat it is then :D

You know it makes sense ;)

sure does, will be coming down this route in a few months to... :grin:

Ok could someone point out where the EVAP and secondary air pump should sit on the 2.8 engine then? Im going to try and see if I can possibly get round this myself first.

Did the secondary air pump fit below the alternator as when I changed my alt there was an open plug sitting there?

Ok could someone point out where the EVAP and secondary air pump should sit on the 2.8 engine then? Im going to try and see if I can possibly get round this myself first.

Did the secondary air pump fit below the alternator as when I changed my alt there was an open plug sitting there?

I may be completely wrong, but I think the aux water pump sat around there.

I may be completely wrong, but I think the aux water pump sat around there.

The aux water pump was at the front of the block on my Mk5 R32. Don't know whether you are on about the EGR air pump which blows air in to the exhaust to clean emissions? Mine has a valve which I am just blanking off and Vince is flashing it from the ECU (I have attached a picture of it).

The secondary air pump is definately relayed, originally in the little square relay box ont he loom (you may not have this now??)#

If you do have it all you need to do is put the relay in, and it'll think its ok, as all the ecu sees is the rleay coil load.

Cant rememeber if the evap is the same or not, i suspect it is.

Might be a case of just throwing the relays in if the plugs are still there.

If not then go back to the ECU and see if the wiring has any tails from the connetors that you could wire the relays / resisitors onto.

If i were onshore i'd get the diagrams and give you a hand, but not back for over 2 weeks.

Does anyone know if the wiring for a r32/audi 3.2 that connects the the ecm has to be from the same engine. I guesse one side of the ecm plugs into the engine ecm and has to be the specific version but isn't the other side a generic (non 3.2)setup from a similar model/year? :shrug:

Where can I get wiring diagrams for these engines? looking for a late type audi diagram.

Right, I've started on an Audi 3.2 conversion into my car. The engine itself is a BDB spec and is similar to the mk5 version.

I've decided to go the 4wd route and as such will be fitting the R32 gearbox, does anyone know if the mk5 and mk4 gearbox have any differences?

Can't say about the internals, but I bought a C2 motor sport 02m gearox bracket for my MK5 R32 conversion and it didn't fit, the mounts where in different locations. Compaired it to the V6 4 motion 02m box and it was o.k. Spoke to Wilco from Dutch build and he's come across this as well. So you're better off making your own gearbox bracket. I also picked up a Haldex/ Syncro conversion kit off him. Not sure how far your along with your conversion but Wilco has done a few R32 conversions on MK2 and Mk3 Golfs and he told me he's used a MK5 Golf engine mount on the offside and a MK4 mount for the nearside on a couple of cars.

He'll also machine drivesahfts to fit.

http://www.dutchbuild.com/

Hope this helps

Andy

so if I understood right, the mk4 gearbox fitted fine to the bracket? That may work out ok then.

Found out that the dealers do the engine side of the ecu loom at a very reasonable price. The other side is less reasonable.

Shout out to Peterborough Audi, very friendly and very helpfull

Guys, any idea where the engine number is stamped on the 2.8 4motion engine? I thought it was about time I got my V5 changed :lol:

have been reading through this thread for weeks and have decided to start putting together the parts i will need to do it and im probably going to start with parts that will fit both 12v and 24v so i can benefit from them straight away so i have a few questions.

hoses - i can go by a set of samcos for my 12v and when i convert just shorten one hose and they will fit?

oil cooler - if it fits my 12v is it the correct one for the 24v?

mounts - same as 12v but will i have to mod the front mount if im using a oil cooler?

fans - dg bracket and fans 9'',11'' needed for clearance

cheers mort

have been reading through this thread for weeks and have decided to start putting together the parts i will need to do it and im probably going to start with parts that will fit both 12v and 24v so i can benefit from them straight away so i have a few questions.

hoses - i can go by a set of samcos for my 12v and when i convert just shorten one hose and they will fit?

oil cooler - if it fits my 12v is it the correct one for the 24v?

mounts - same as 12v but will i have to mod the front mount if im using a oil cooler?

fans - dg bracket and fans 9'',11'' needed for clearance

cheers mort

Don't think they particularly need to be samco's unless I'm missing something?

I'm in the middle of carrying out a r32 conversion. From what I've read, 12v hoses are pretty much put onto the 24v so a samco kit should fit (I'm ordering some soon), mounts are the same on the rear (if using vr6 gearbox) and yes front needs adapting slightly. I've seen other use standard vr fans, they come close to the manifold but should be ok.

hoses - i can go by a set of samcos for my 12v and when i convert just shorten one hose and they will fit? yes, pretty sure its just one hose thats needs altering

oil cooler - if it fits my 12v is it the correct one for the 24v? yes, i have heard people swapping the vr6 oil cooler to the 24v so they don't have to mod the front mount but the result is higher oil temps

mounts - same as 12v but will i have to mod the front mount if im using a oil cooler? no, you won't have to mod front mount if your using a mocal sandwich plate or similar. if standard oil cooler than yes

fans - dg bracket and fans 9'',11'' needed for clearance its close but standards can be used as far as i know

cheers mort

I havn't actually done the 24v conversion but i bought an engine, did all the research then sold it :(

Guys, any idea where the engine number is stamped on the 2.8 4motion engine? I thought it was about time I got my V5 changed :lol:

Nope - been lookin for mine !

Mine has a sticker on the rocker cover. Not found it on the block either, but then I've never really looked that hard :lol:

Can't say about the internals, but I bought a C2 motor sport 02m gearox bracket for my MK5 R32 conversion and it didn't fit, the mounts where in different locations. Compaired it to the V6 4 motion 02m box and it was o.k. Spoke to Wilco from Dutch build and he's come across this as well. So you're better off making your own gearbox bracket. I also picked up a Haldex/ Syncro conversion kit off him. Not sure how far your along with your conversion but Wilco has done a few R32 conversions on MK2 and Mk3 Golfs and he told me he's used a MK5 Golf engine mount on the offside and a MK4 mount for the nearside on a couple of cars.

Hope this helps

Andy

Good info. As well as the DB bracket not fitting, the MK5 O2M also has no speedo output. Do you happen to know what the work around for that is if you're using the Corrado clocks? I guess the MK5 must get vehicle speed from the ABS senders?

I'm quietly looking into a FWD O2M conversion in the background, time permitting. I have a 2007 R32 O2M sat in my garage and I'm looking into the best way to bestow 6 speeds onto my Corrado, as cost effectively as possible so that others can follow suit.

These damn O2Ms get my head in a spin, so I'm thinking of creating a sticky thread so that we can pool together 'O2M into Corrado' knowledge, 4WD and FWD and come up with some 'best practices'.

With all these VR6 Turbo and R32 conversions coming out of the woodwork, I think O2A breakages could become a wee issue over time!

Two replies I had for this.

- -usually down the end of the block to the left of the crank pulley - this was form PhatVR6 who has seen more of the engines than hot dinners.

or - I seem to remember they are stamped on the spine of the block just to the left of the flywheel when looking at the block from the front.

Mine has a sticker on the rocker cover. Not found it on the block either, but then I've never really looked that hard :lol:

Hope this helps

Andy

Good info. As well as the DB bracket not fitting, the MK5 O2M also has no speedo output. Do you happen to know what the work around for that is if you're using the Corrado clocks? I guess the MK5 must get vehicle speed from the ABS senders?

I'm quietly looking into a FWD O2M conversion in the background, time permitting. I have a 2007 R32 O2M sat in my garage and I'm looking into the best way to bestow 6 speeds onto my Corrado, as cost effectively as possible so that others can follow suit.

These damn O2Ms get my head in a spin, so I'm thinking of creating a sticky thread so that we can pool together 'O2M into Corrado' knowledge, 4WD and FWD and come up with some 'best practices'.

With all these VR6 Turbo and R32 conversions coming out of the woodwork, I think O2A breakages could become a wee issue over time!

Having a sticky on 02M gearbox's would be useful.

I didn't even realise that the 02m has no speedo output, how do the later cars get around this then? Does it rely on the abs rings?

Having a sticky on 02M gearbox's would be useful.

I didn't even realise that the 02m has no speedo output, how do the later cars get around this then? Does it rely on the abs rings?

OK, I'll get one started then.

The earlier O2Ms used in the 4Motion have a speedo output, it's just the later R32 O2Ms that don't.

Is that the part number for the bracket or tensioner?

I need to get the mk4 PAS bracket for mine so a part number would be rather handy!

Do I need to change the tensioner with the bracket or is it just the bracket I need in order to run the VR's PAS pump etc?

Tensioner 021145 299

Bracket 021 260 087

The tensioner and bracket no's cover Corrado VR's up to 95 and Golfs 92 up to 2001 inc 4 motions. I am using the VRs tensioner and bracket. The BUB tensioer is connected to the actual bracket and not the block like the VR, unless you are using the BUB's electric power steering and A/C then you don't need it.

If you need a bracket then a scrappy or eaby would save you a bit of cash, as they are not cheap.....

There seems to be quite a number of different accessaory brackets. I bought a 1994 VR6 corrado bracket off ebay and has the part number 021 260 089 F and this doesnt fit the late audi spec block (hits the block and inlet manifold)! The rado currently has a 021 145 189 D fitted and has air con, pas and alt fitted to it. With the one mentioned and 2 i have makes 3 variants of the late vr6 bracket. In summary, careful which you buy.

Now this makes me wonder, does the bracket you mention 021 260 087 allow for the option of fitting an air con pump? if so what type of pump?

Will the 021 145 189 D fit the audi block? Only time I would find out is on engine swap day "V Day"