Sign in to follow this  
jezzaG60

Is it worth fitting ABS??

Right.....

Well i've got a complete corrado that i'm breaking which has a full working ABS setup.... Is it worth me transfering it to my nice mint corrado or is it just going to destroy my braking feel and cause me grief??

Opinions please! :)

Your unlucky your nice G60 hasn't got it as standard mate, think there were supply problems.. :roll: Which car are you breaking?!

I have no idea what kind of difference the ABS will actualy make but you could sell the pump instead, they cost a LOT for VAG. ;)

Yeah.... the blue corrado doesn't have it... its quite an early one so you don't see that many with it. I'm breaking a late spec G60... i was gonna fix it but by the time i get hold of the other bits i need and get it painted its gonna cost more than its worth!

Just thinking a bit more about the abs now i have a nice wilwood 4 pot setup and the new engine on its way.........

Well if you use all of the standard parts, it should, in theory feel just like an ABS G60 when you're done :)

I don't think there's any appreciable difference in pedal feel between the two, but I've never driven a non-ABS C, so I don't know for sure.

I would have thought it'll be a rather major job doing the changeover though - you've got to run a loom down to every wheel, change parts of all the hubs to accept the sensors and rings, install the ABS pump in the engine bay, wire the warning light into the dash and if you're going for a full OE setup - into the communication ports under the gear stick.

Maybe other things too actually.

I guess it depends on if you're good with a spanner and wiring diagrams :)

I wouldnt have bothered taking it off, but I certainly wouldnt have thought about installing it, abs is a bit gay really...

I disagree, if you have the time and skill it can be a life saver (or at leas a car saver). ABS is much better than no ABS or it wouldn’t be installed on more and more new cars. Reduces stopping distance and can helps keep the car straight under heavy stoppage!

I'm gonna vote for the non ABS. I've had g60's with and without and noticed no deifference apart from the added worry that it would go wrong. My 8v had had the ABS removed and the brakes were fine. I certainly wouldn't go to the effort.

I't s deffinately worth keeping hold of the pump and dashlight as they do fetch OK money, I just sold a pump from a 16v for £35. It can be expensive to replace the pump, but it's more expensive to have the ABS removed entirely so it would deffinately sell.

One of those things that you don't use unitl you really need it (ironing board?). I've never had my ABS light come on, apart form when starting her up. I have been in cars when the ABS has kicked in though and there is no doubt it does a good job. :)

...pump the pedal..... :wink:

Cadence braking is only a good way to stop if you do it by a very, very small amount. Full-pedal travel pumping will make you stop in a distance similar to that of a fully-loaded car ferry :lol:

Jam your foot on the brakes and if you feel them lock, lift off a tiny bit and they'll release again. You'll be surprised at how hard you have to brake to lock the wheels and if you do lock them, how easy it is to still keep braking and keep the wheels turning.

If you're doing it properly, your foot shouldn't be moving anymore than 5mm on the pedal between locking the wheels and full on braking.

Which is all fine and dandy in theory, but in a real-life "oh crap that kid's just run out in front of me" moment, isn't going to be as easy as that, especially if you haven't spent a few hours on a track practicing it first. Which is why I'd like to have ABS than not.

...annnnd having said all that - it sounds like a monsterous amount of effort to retrofit it, so I wouldn't bother :lol:

Well fitting it wont be a problem.

I think over christmas i'm gonna have the whole interior out of my car anyway dash and all so i'll put the wiring in place. If i decide to use it then its all there.

I'm building up new front and rear suspension and subfame with all poly bushes and new brakes so i'll make a decision when i put that lot on as to whether to run it.

I was thinking about installing abs sensors for traction control on a standalone ecu when the engine gets that far so the extra to hook the abs up then isn't that bad

Well fitting it wont be a problem.

I think over christmas i'm gonna have the whole interior out of my car anyway dash and all so i'll put the wiring in place. If i decide to use it then its all there.

I'm building up new front and rear suspension and subfame with all poly bushes and new brakes so i'll make a decision when i put that lot on as to whether to run it.

I was thinking about installing abs sensors for traction control on a standalone ecu when the engine gets that far so the extra to hook the abs up then isn't that bad

In that case - gopher it! :D

...Exactly Dink.....that's the point. If the ABS was in the car then great, keep it there, but the question was should I bother to fit it into a car without ABS and I don't reckon it's worth it.

..And it didn't seem to help you to much both times you wrote your raddo off in 6 months ... :wink: ...sorry :lol:

..And it didn't seem to help you to much both times you wrote your raddo off in 6 months ... :wink: ...sorry :lol:

Yeah, it doesn't help you much when you're going sideways :( :cry:

Some piccies attached for yall from the Bending the Rules DVD we made teaching track-skills.

All are braking from 70mph.

First pic

• Purple/blue - braking with the clutch down (like wot they tell you in your test)[/*:m:2762a]
  • Green - Cadence braking[/*:m:2762a]
  • Yellow - Brake, lock, release, brake[/*:m:2762a]
  • Red - Braking like a pro, just before the wheels lock[/*:m:2762a]

Second pic

• First car - Just lock up[/*:m:2762a]
  • Second car - braking with ABS[/*:m:2762a]

Well on your normal everyday road i'm pretty confident in my cars braking ability and my ability to hold it right on the limit of locking.... the only moments come on our nice cornish back roads when you come across some wet leaves or a stupidly placed manhole......

The other thing i'm thinking is that in the wet its pretty easy to lock my brakes now.... once ive fitted bigger discs and 4 pot calipers i'm gonna have to be even more gentle with the pedal!

Guess i'd get used to it and be at the stage i am now with it soon enough. Its just when i've got all the bits and its all being build up off the car...............

gonna do it do it properly, as that pic shows it makes a big difference. I find with cars with bigger discs it makes even more difference. My dads merc 320 has like 320mm discs and the abs quite often kicks in, makes for some good stopping in the wet, which is needed with 300bhp lol

Good luck with the install ... ABS will certainly help you out if it's properly set up and you need to decelerate in panic ... IMO anything ... whether it's technology or reflexes that can assist any driver in maintaining maximum retardation AND steering control is absolutely useful.

As someone else suggested, it's probably worth watching the "Bending the Rules" DVD and get some decent driver training with Andy Walsh http://www.carlimits.com or some other training school ...

:x-mas:

I've had Corrados with both, and both with the Brembos. I gotta say ABS has saved my life a few times!

Pedal feel I found was alt different between the two. Heavier with ABS

Your need the hubs, sensors, abs ecu, pump and any other bits anyone can remind me on!