Sign in to follow this  
wafers

Thinking about buying a VR6...

Hi,

Have owned sucession of 2 16 valvers in past, now got Celica with drinking habit. If I stick in £10 i get 65-70 miles from it. Is a VR6 much heavier on fuel? If not, I have plans to look out for a sweet VR!!

Thanks!

Nick

Welcome to the Forum...

Depends on the driving really - if thats round town then that sounds about right with the price of fuel being what it is...

But, In the right conditions the VR6 can be fairly economical for what is nearly a 3 ltr engine - over 1000 miles of mixed driving earlier in the year to the Karmann factory and various other places we got 34 MPG out of a VR and about the same out of a G60 which had done exactly the same journey in convoy...

Bear in mind it prob has better mid range to your current car, unless its a turbo! But that means its reasonable effortless, so you dont need to ring its neck to make good progress.

I get over 30 all the time just wafting around and going to work. As with most things you can get it well under 20 if you try!

people always assume a vr6 drinks petrol,on a good run a vr6 will give 35mpg,which is better than my 16v golf used to give,but once you give the loud peddle a good stomping then it will drop a lot

Yea, if I use optimax and don't go over 70ish on the motorway I will definitley get 35+mpg, obviously helps if the car has had a service and is in good condition.

maybe missing the point but............why buy and C VR and worry about the mpg.......its not an economy model its a performance coupe afterall

maybe missing the point but............why buy and C VR and worry about the mpg.......its not an economy model its a performance coupe afterall

....but he's making sure he doesn't but one then worry about the fuel...he's making sure he can afford to run it before buying it.... :wink:

....but he's making sure he doesn't but one then worry about the fuel...he's making sure he can afford to run it before buying it.... :wink:

understand wanting to make sure you can afford it etc,but if he's getting 65-70 miles from a tank just now........which equates to 26-ish mpg(say at 83.9 per litre) assuming this is round town too btw,then if he's finding that savage then perhaps he's better looking for a diesel car........FWIW my first "performance" car was a 84B XR3i which returned 26mpg round town.......IMHO if performance and economy are what you're after then best going the oil burner route.....not thinking about a near 3L V6 coupe

Just done a few sums. Bear in mind the engine's a true 2.9L, rebuilt so should be in top working order, and only has a oil cooler, generic chip, milltek and k&n panel as mods. All taken from 65L tank (15.5 gallons) so averages in themselves.

Gentle as possible driving: 22.6 mpg (350 miles)

Average driving: 18.1 mpg (280 miles)

Hard driving: 14.8 (230 miles)

Can't see any of the mods causing major differences so don't really understand why I always get mpg alot lower than others on the forum. Gentle is honestly gentle aswell, never over 3000 rpm, slight pedal movement etc.

I basically spend £10 every 50 miles at the moment for the 5 mile journey to and from work each day.

Jesus, not even my mega over fuelled Supercharged VR is anything like that uneconomical! £25 lasts me a week (Mon to Fri), 40 miles a day, with a mixture of hard and slow driving.

As Kev said that seems excessive Rpmayne, I've got a true 2.9, with a schrick, and all the other gubbins stated in my sig, and I get about 22mpg with hard driving.

Cheers for the replies guys! Looks like i have started something here...:)

I drive 30 miles a day, most of it single carriageway in traffic, averaging about 45-50 mph, but cruising at about 85 for about 2 miles.

I used to have a Celica GT4 turbo (really thirsty but great), now got a standard 16v 2l celica, but fancy VR6, ideally rado not Golf. I have also done my journey in a tdi golf for a couple of months (£10 of diesel = about 95-100 miles), but got bored.

As long as the Corrado wouldn't be a load different to running the celica, then I seriously want to think about a VR. Having said that, none seem to come up round these parts (Cornwall/SWest).

Cheers,

Nick

Get one and you will soon forgive any fuel problems and find ways to go out and waste some more. I love my car and dispite being without job at the moment still enjoy every journey.

Something must be fundamentally wrong here, I'm pretty sure I don't have any fuel leaks and seems to go really well so would have thought fueling was ok. Only thing I notice different to other VR's is that the engine feels really light, revs up and drops very quickly.

Thinking about it, maybe the lambda probe is mucking around, except last time that happened it ran like a pig and showed 11mpg on the trip. Very noticeable.

Given what the mpg should be wafers, I definitely wouldn't worry about it. That's not much worse than what I used to get from a mk2 16v when I really had a death wish.