Sign in to follow this  
Republic Of Mancunia

Horrible Noise from my VR

Hi all, I’m after a little bit of advice just to make sure that I’m not going to be ripped off by a garage.

Over last week my VR’s oil temperature has been quite high, in the region of 115ºc. On Saturday I started it up and let it idle for a minute to get it warmed up. After about 30 seconds there was a strange noise coming from the engine. I had to be somewhere so I drove very cautiously down the motorway only about 10 miles. I could no longer hear the noise whilst moving.

When I arrived at my destination and came to a stop the noise was still there and louder than before, my oil temperature was about 128ºc. I popped the bonnet and the noise was coming from the offside, near the air filter. Its quite difficult to explain the noise but it’s a sort of horrible metallic scraping noise that happens about every 2 to 3 seconds.

I don’t think its coming from the engine block itself its sounds more like an ancillary. I’d really like to know, what is on that side of the engine and any probable cause for this noise and high oil temperature or are they one in the same?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It could be the tensioner making the noise but it wouldn't have anything to do with that whopping oil temperature.

Thanks for the replies, I had a new belt on the tensioner a couple of months ago, but I suppose it could be the tensioner has had it now.

I probably could get to Stoke, but I don't know if I should be driving it.

Is PSI Tuning run by Andy that used to work at Awesome?

Is PSI Tuning run by Andy that used to work at Awesome?

Thats the one dude :wink:

If you dont wanna drive it, give him a call.

Does anyone have a telephone number/email/postal address for the bearing stockist BSL mentioned in the (very excellent) Knowledge Base article?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes

RB

Those are high water temps in general, should be 90 or less when you're moving along.

The noise is certainly the right area to be the water pump I guess..

Can you remove the belt tension and see if you can turn the water pump by hand?

In answer to my own question,

BSLBrammer.co.uk

Hayes (W.London) branch quoted £12.91 + vat for 1 item, coming down to about £9.50 each for an order of 5 items. Does anyone know of a cheaper supplier?

VAG price for the complete tensioner is about £65 + vat, Murray McDonald in Hatfield Herts about £57 +vat.

Best wishes

RB

Horrible Noise from my VR

i had this, i found it was only when my wife was in the pasenger seat :oops:

i would take the belt off and check the water pump, tensioner and alternator for play in the pulley bearings

if you do the tensioner bearing just be patient as it is stuck in there very tight

or spray each of them with wd40 and see if the noise goes, then you'll know which it is

Anyone know if 6203 2RS is the same as 6203 2RS1?

I/D 17mm, O/D 40mm, W 12mm, Conrad single row radial ball bearings, rubber seals on both sides.

Because if it is, there's a supplier in USA who can supply 20 bearings for $11 plus postage - that's total price.

Best wishes

RB

Mine used to run at 118 on the oil sat at a steady 80, until the cooler brought it down to 98 ish.

Must be water pump, alternator or tensioner surely. If it was your oil pump i doubt you would have done 10 miles in it!

Tried puting a screwdriver against the alternator and tensioner and plastic end against your ear? Good way to here where the noise is really coming from. Be careful though, obviously!

6203-2RS, (not 6203-2RS1 as quoted in the Knowledge Base because I don't know what the "1" means !!!). For that price I can afford to chuck it into the tool box if it's not the right one. Delivery promised Wednesday (1st class post, 1st class service all round)

The number is a generic code indicating

6 - bearing type (single deep groove Conrad-type ball bearing),

2 - duty (light, 500 kgf radial, max 17 000 rpm),

03 - diameter (40mm o/d, 17mm i/d), width (12mm), and

2RS - 2 rubber seals

Best wishes

RB