Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Uprated batteries (Optima tc etc)

Blimey, they sound good. I do like quality components if I can afford them.

I would go for a red top if price is right.

I dont have hifi in car - and you could get about 3 Boschs for the price of a redtop, would it be worth it for me guys?

just wonder how the standard length leads fit...as the terminals are more towards the center arent they??

theres often good deals on ebay for optimas, id been looking at orange tops (they have the correct terminal layout for vw's) theyve been doing 3 for price of 2...so 3 for about £200

This site clicky does red tops and yellow tops at reasonable prices. I'm looking at getting a red top in the very near future so if this gb can get them at a ggod price I'll be in for one.

just wonder how the standard length leads fit...as the terminals are more towards the center arent they??

They fit fine, although I redid my battery clamp arrangements completely anyway as they were a right mess, so I took the oppurtunity to extend any wires that were too short....but rest assured, none of the VW wires were too short though.

On my G60 I had to put new longer negative lead on in order for it to fit the positive just fitted but I redid it anyway as was sorting all the wiring!

nah, not yet. they first supplier I contacted have just ignored me. struggling to get time to sort anything else out at the mo, too bloody busy at work to ring anyone.

I'll be down for one of the yellow ones. Or a red one. Not really sure how much I need. I'd like to be able to play some music in my car while it's off, and not have to push it down the nearest hill to get it going. How much more efficient is the yellow top? And do I really have to change my alternator?

right, update

The original dealer I spoke to has let me down and not got back to me. But, at Autosport today I was speaking to the main sales uy, and he's very interested.

He's going to put me in touch with their top distibutor to handle the orders.

He said he should be able to get the price under £100 for a good red top big enough for a VR6. so I'll get some more info off him this week and hopefully get this off the ground at last.

he was also interested to know who the dealers were who ignored me.....

PhatVR6 said

he was also interested to know who the dealers were who ignored me.....

Well done PhatVR6. Its a buyer's market out there. Those numpties who ignore potential customers deserve to be losers, and they may well be.

just a point to all. if these do go flat you can not use a standard battery charger to charge them, or charge them from flat with the alternater

just a point to all. if these do go flat you can not use a standard battery charger to charge them, or charge them from flat with the alternater

Why the heck not? It's charged by the alternator on the car, the same as any other battery, so why can't it be charged the same off the car? There's nothing on the Optima site (that I can see) to suggest what you're saying is true. What's your source for this information?

the information is standard automotive electrics. no flat battery should be charged via the alternator. if you jump start your car from a donar you should leave the leads connected for at least 15 mins to stabilise the battery. this is for a flat battery ie 6 volts or less not just one that wont turn the engine over fast enough to start.

The Optimas never go flat anyway so shouldn't be a problem :-)

They lose about 1V over a year sat on a shelf, so unless your car is drawing serious idle current, you shouldn't ever need to charge it via a mains charger.

the information is standard automotive electrics. no flat battery should be charged via the alternator. if you jump start your car from a donar you should leave the leads connected for at least 15 mins to stabilise the battery. this is for a flat battery ie 6 volts or less not just one that wont turn the engine over fast enough to start.

You've misunderstood me. What I meant was why do you suggest a 'standard' battery charger can't be used to charge the battery on the bench? How else do you charge a battery other than suply it with a regulated flow of current?

My car seems to have quite the appetite for batteries. I'm hoping that an Optima will sort things out, but there's a strong chance it may end up flat at some point.

You've misunderstood me. What I meant was why do you suggest a 'standard' battery charger can't be used to charge the battery on the bench? How else do you charge a battery other than suply it with a regulated flow of current?

My car seems to have quite the appetite for batteries. I'm hoping that an Optima will sort things out, but there's a strong chance it may end up flat at some point.

i will find the info tonight but its to do with the way the currant is supplied. on a normal charger you get a high initial amps and lowish volts and the amps drop as the volts rise. with gel and spiral its the other way round,high volts to start with low amps and then the volts drop and the amps go high

usally you needs at least 13.5 to 14 volts to charge spiral batteries as they have a sitting voltage of around 12.8 volts minimum whereas most chargers go to about 12.8 to 13 volts