Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

NO GRIP!

I wouldn't put Maranganis on a destruction derby car, let alone one used on the roads....

...and you would be well within your rights. However, it doesn't mean you're correct to dismiss them as a good tyre.

I'm afraid this is an internet forum - impartial advice is not on the menu here...! :lol:

Errr, buy four different brands and see which corner of the car loses grip first...?

Seriously, have a read through all the posts on tyres and see what the majority are saying!

Yeah true Phil, but at least good tyres will give you more of a chance. Oh and catch_twotwo, you werent wrong were you LOL :lol:

Well by law of averages at least once in my life I had to be right about something. I was hoping it was going to be lottery numbers, but what the hell..

I hate to add to the "What tyre" discussion by mentioning a tyre brand, but I'm getting some new 17's tomorrow with Hankook rubber.... Looks like as I'm dropping the suspension 40mm as well I'm gonna need my alignment done. So.... where should I get this done. VW quoted me about £280 for 4 wheel alignment. Although that was a compare price as I doubt I'd let them near my car.... but it's a high price.

So anybody know somewhere near Southend that can do this without ripping my arm off in the process.[/quote:0246b]

£280! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Try Elite, they're in Essex.

I think their site is http://www.elitedirect.com or something

I had mine done at Littlehapmton Tyres for about £40!

Wow thanks Neilm much appreciated on that one ;)

Although having got the wheels on I'm not getting much of a problem.... except the fact that a 40mm drop at the front looks more like an 80mm drop O.o;

i got marangoni's on my storm, (they were on it when i got it) and they are sh**e!!! No grip in any corners, sliding all over the shot and spins at every junction, without fail, am definately getting some new ones! I had falkens on ma last car, were very good!

Well yet to drive mine in the wet, but so far my Hankook kingstar's seem pretty solid......

EDIT: Ok popped out to get some food and it's been raining.... looks good so far in the wet as well ;)

Im running Falken 512's not had much problems with them... tend to take it easy in wet damp conditions..

My only experience with Marangonis has been on my Golf and whatever it is on there is shockingly bad. That wasn't helped by seeing an ad on the back of a tyre van saying "Marangoni: The intelligent tyre - the only tyres that come with a lifetime guarantee". Which just enforced the image of the rock-hard tyres on my Golf that will actually outlast the car because they're so hard.

But if they make good tyres too, then you're welcome to try them. bcstudent - are you talking about bike or car tyres tho?

Errr, buy four different brands and see which corner of the car loses grip first...?

That seems to be what the previous owner of my Golf has tried. He made it more fun by making sure every tyre on there was a pile of cack too :lol:

Anyhoo - can we please keep tyre discussion in the monster what tyres thread? :)

So, moving on to 4-wheel alignment - most bodyshops have a rig to do this and it seems to cost between £50 and £80 depending on where you go. Obviously VAG are a rip-off - Stealth have an official VAG alignment rig and charge £80 for a fulll setup.

Hankook kingstars, ill look the reviews up. Rating out of 10 over all catch?

[whisper] I'd say 7/10 personally.... but only had the car 6 weeks ;) [/whisper]

[Whisper] 7/10 you say, theres better tyres out there you're saying then. What about firestones?

OR Pirellis with the wise slogan, power is nothing with out control, how true!

bcstudent - are you talking about bike or car tyres tho?

Car tyres - I have a set of 16s with Zetas fitted. Marangoni don't make tyres for bikes.

I've just done a 12 mile journey in the VR6, mostly twisties, really throwing it about, awesome fun. I got out of the car, walked to my house and noticed the road glistening and sparkling, the pavement was even slippery, walked back to the car and the outside temperature was showing 0 degrees C. If anyone needs convincing how good Toyo T1-Rs are, I'm your man. Phew!

Cool, good to know. I've heard the Rs are a lot better than the Ss.

What about ride comfort and road noise?

Well, you may have a point there. As you know I'm still slightly annoyed with the ride quality on my car. It does react rather nastily to sunken drains and ridges in the road etc. I have been thinking lately that tyres could be an issue. Now you've questioned it...hmmm...are they reckoned to be lacking in the ride comfort department? I'm not impressed by my ride comfort but I don't know if I can blame it on the T1-Rs yet! They are quite noisy too, although I've only used Toyos on this car so don't have any comparison as yet. I was less than impressed with the ride quality on my old Golf VR6, that was on Toyos....