Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

Dont take the P part 2 ! What does the front splitter do?

because it scrapes the ground when i put my car in the garage (sloping driveway - flat garage) - Its fine at the moment but in the new year im gonna be lowering it a bit and i know full well i am going to have to remove it completely to be able to get it in. I know you can get a thinner one but it still wont be enough with any sort of drop.

Will it affect anything completely removing it?

cheers

Brett

For me? It goes CRUNCH!

Shouldn't effect anything atall if it's removed, I take it you have the 90mm? IF so why not sell it and buy a 50mm one?

Corrados' look wierd without them!

okay a quick aerodynamics update...

The front spoiler aka splitter limits air going under the car...so when the air rushes out at the back of the car it expands and causes a pressure drop under the car. the rear spoiler that reduces the drag by stopping the air from going down the back of the car and you can basically an element of down force.

Yep mines cracked. I was thinking about colour coding it but I reckon it'll get such a beating it's really not worth it!

Please don't color code!

Looks so wrong!

As does faded black plastic! On a red car it would look crap but on darker colours it's barely noticeable.

the rear spoiler that reduces the drag by stopping the air from going down the back of the car and you can basically an element of down force

Rear spoilers increase drag, well functional ones with angles of attack that promote downforce do anyway.

Will it affect anything completely removing it?

It'll look wrong! Seriously, it's just plastic, and I've only ever seena few rados where is wasn't cracked or scraped slightly...

Hell, if it don't scrape it ain't low enough! :lol:

My front splitter/spoiler is cracked both sides as well due to the fact that when i first bought it and drove it home i couldn't get over the speed bumps at one end of the road i live in......soon found that out.

The splitter was also sprayed white the same colour as the car but looks awfull with all the beateings it has taken over the years. So i'm going to repair it and spray it black for low maintenance.

So what happens if you hit one of those plastic speed "thumps" then, does it just scrape and ping back into place? Mine'll be low when i get my new suspenders.

I'm not really worried about it rubbing, cracking etc - I just REALLY don't want it to bend under the car or something and make me look a tw@!!

So what happens if you hit one of those plastic speed "thumps" then, does it just scrape and ping back into place? Mine'll be low when i get my new suspenders.

I'm not really worried about it rubbing, cracking etc - I just REALLY don't want it to bend under the car or something and make me look a tw@!!

It's flexible mate. I'm usually hitting speed bumps, christ, when I got lost in Birmingham, I went over and absolutely shed load. It's quite loud when it scrapes tho.

Rear spoilers increase drag, well functional ones with angles of attack that promote downforce do anyway.

sorry bud but your talking about wings not spoilers. A spoiler changes airflow to reduce drag. A wing (like on an f1 car) creats down force with a increase in drag as a side effect.

Hell, if it don't scrape it ain't low enough! :lol:

mines all cracked in one corner and i've still got 4x4 ride height :lol:

Please don't color code!

Looks so wrong!

As does faded black plastic! On a red car it would look crap but on darker colours it's barely noticeable.

There's no excuse for faded black plastic :wink: , Autoglym Bumper Gel makes it look like new, I used to do all my plastics once a month-ish with it and they looked like new.

im not really worried about the splitter - im more worried about ripping the whole of my front bumper off (speaking from experience - lakeside shopping centre, surprisingly high kerb and standard height Astra coupe with front bumper that must have been held on with double sided sticky tape - oops - soooo not a good look driving home with your bumper sticking out of your boot)

have a 90mm one whch i was thinking of replacing as i want to lower the front another 10mm or so........out of interest once the spoiler decks out how much sump clearance is there?

The chin spoilers came in 2 sizes. RAC managed to whack mine off (ooh Mrs) so I billed em for a new shallow one. VR's upto 94 had 90mm chins and 94 onwards had 50mm chinies. IIRC

sorry bud but your talking about wings not spoilers. A spoiler changes airflow to reduce drag. A wing (like on an f1 car) creats down force with a increase in drag as a side effect.

I somewhat disagree. I'm no master of the aerodynamic arts but it seems clear that the words 'spoiler' and 'wing' are often used to mean the same thing. Exhibit A is the Corrado 'active spoiler', which, according to VW, increases rear downforce and, therefore, must also increase drag.

We're probably talking about different things but, in the case of the Corrado at least, rear spoiler = more drag. Q.E.D.