Sign in to follow this  
Taggart

Crashed: Car at home now...to assess fixability

Getting a bit sore now, my backs killing me and I'm struggling to walk. Went to the docs, they fobbed me off with some painkillers (that are not strong enough). Gonna go see an osteopath I think, that was what my Auntie recommended to do (she's a physio)

Car is home now, so gonna have a go at getting engine done on Sat (weather permitting) Tom has gracefully offered to come give me a hand.

Tom has gracefully offered to come give me a hand.

he'll just say "i'm locking this one " and walk away :-)

sorry to hear youre not feeling too good , generally with a lot of accidents there is a delayed reaction before you realise what damage is done, hope you get sorted mate, the osteopath is a good idea

he'll just say "i'm locking this one " and walk away

LOL

Graham will ask a question and just be told to look in the knowledge base...

The world's full of comedians :lol:

Everytime he turns his back I'll lock the bugger :lol: Or I could keep moving it round the back of the house.

We got the engine running at the weekend, seems to be running OK, don't you think Tom?

Going to need a new bumper (+ all bits attached to it), slam panel and Mocal. Will need new rims, and need to assess the drivetrain/suspension on the n/s/f, the hub is sitting at a funny angle.

Good excuse to get some nicer rims and a coilover kit I guess :D

Wings seem to have been bent maybe 1/2 cm as well, or the bonnett has, there is no gap one side on the bonnett, and on the other side I can just get my pinky in the gap :norty:

Bending is never good..... need to get it on a jig to make sure the critical load bearing structures aren't bent. You might aswell bin it if they are it'll never be the same again.....

Well good news and bad news I suppose G.

I thought one of your front hubs was slightly on the piss anyway - deffo sounds like time to get some replacement ones.

Aye, we tightened the hub nut, because the brake disk was wobbly, but the damage had been done tho the bearing carrier, and the calipers were sitting at a funny angle.

Yep, the engine didn't sound bad - I certainly can't see how the bodyshop assessed that it was ferked.

The critical thing now will be getting it on a jig at the bodyshop to see how bent it is and if it can be sorted.

If that's sortable then it shouldn't be too bad to repair.

They were probably looking for reasons to write it off, too lazy perhaps?

A new VR lump from VW would definitely write it off!

That was my assessment as well Kev.

On the basis that they will make most of their money on the prep/spraying, it's only the new bumper that would need doing .... so hardly worth their while.

I think they just wanted it out of the way so said the engine was fecked.

So what you reckon then... get it on the jig first, or try and get the drivetrain assessed and fixed... so it can be towed (and I don't have to pay £50 a shot every time I want it moved)

first i would get toms car by the side of yours and take measurment,distance from the strut tower to the bulkhead and compare it with toms,and so on..then you would know if it done any major damage,i know it wont be exact but it will give you a good idea

I'm getting someone out on saturday to see what he reckons on the alignment stakes.

Just been to the osteopath, they said it is pretty bad :(

That sucks mate, hope you get yourself sorted soon...

They said I'd need a few crunching and cracking sessions! :)