Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

clarksons 'heaven and hell' dvd

i bet loads of you got it for xmas, i did! Watched the first hour of it last night and its pretty entertaining, my only niggle is the appaling music they've dubbed over the top to (i guess) avoid paying royalties on 'real' music. oh, that and the stupid exploding cars and half-a-espace set-ups. WAY too obviously faked.

I've heard a few negative reviews with lots of people saying its the same old tat.

I hate the car destructions that he does personally and would rather he just concentrated on the driving and just fit in more decent cars, a little more info, etc..

cant comment on the 'same old tat' thing since its the first one i've been bought! theres a good bit of driving of a metro in a carpark which isnt fake, but yeah the other dropping-weights-on-cars bits are pretty poo. theres some nice motors on it and he does actually go into a fair bit of detail about them.

i thought it was alright for £6 but glad it wasn't any more, it's only 72 mins. Agree with you though, it could have done with more good stuff and less killing the crap cars, although the perodua bit was funny!

I've got most of Clarkson's DVDs and love them! It's just mindless banta and fecking about with cars, a job we'd all love! He's a funny bloke and gets his point across well. He could do a DVD on testing and blowing up push bikes and it would still be entertaining :-)

Clarkson for PM!

Got it for Christmas from the Mrs, along with Motorsport Mayhem, brightened up an otherwise dull nights viewing on Christmas day. :lol:

Yeah,I got the DVD for Xmas too.

I agree that the music is a bit shyte,but then that's problably Clarkson's choice of destrution derby music.

The only really amusing bit I thought was the Perodua beating across the road from the dealer-that was funny.As for the rest of it,it just seemed like it was done for his own benefit(i.e. cobbled together from ideas used in TG and filmed at the same location to make a few more bob just in time for Xmas) and that there was no real thought behind it.

Don't get me wrong, I do like his DVD's - i've got his top 100 cars and Head to Head. I'd just heard this one was milking an already tired formula. I'll pick it up if I see it cheap I guess :)

Is it that same silver one with the gold alloys that they always wheel out? :)

its a bit of a tatty looking mars red one actually, i was a bit disapointed they'd not tried harder to find a good example.

I really dislike that silver one they always use - I think it's the same one Jim's talking about, with a full BBS bodykit and gold BBS wheels. For some reason they always wheel that one out when talking about the Mk1, rather than a standard-looking one.

Still, I remember a few years back, Clarkson was driving something like the 306 GTI-6 (I think it was that). He got out and said how much he loved it, and it was the second best car he'd driven that year. Then they cut to the Mk1 GTI and he said that was the best car he'd driven that year :)

They should dig out that MK1 G60 thats been up for sale on here a few times and use it in some sprints! It would kick the pants off so many cars and it looks even more standard than the one they currently use on Top Gear :D

I really dislike that silver one they always use - I think it's the same one Jim's talking about, with a full BBS bodykit and gold BBS wheels. For some reason they always wheel that one out when talking about the Mk1, rather than a standard-looking one.

That's because it belongs to (or used to at least) VW UK and is therefore easy to get hold of. The BBC simply wouldn't go to the trouble of finding a mint privately owned MK1! They're too tight to pay the researchers!

Still, I remember a few years back, Clarkson was driving something like the 306 GTI-6 (I think it was that). He got out and said how much he loved it, and it was the second best car he'd driven that year. Then they cut to the Mk1 GTI and he said that was the best car he'd driven that year :)

What car isn't Clarksons favourite? :-)

At the end of the day, Clarky is just the same as the rest of us. We all hate certain things, love certain things and are passionate about what we do. He just isn't afraid to tell it how it is and he's got it down to an art form.....

That's because it belongs to (or used to at least) VW UK and is therefore easy to get hold of. The BBC simply wouldn't go to the trouble of finding a mint privately owned MK1! They're too tight to pay the researchers!

obviously that changes when the feature a really special car... such as the corrado ;) :D

I wish they'd do another feature on the Corrado again.. I don't know what it would go on about exactly but i'd still be all teary eyed and nostalgic if they did :D

What car isn't Clarksons favourite? :-)

Probably what I drive right now! And it would be a fair point (nice car, well made, but as a driver's car not a patch on the Corrado).

I know he raves about certain cars but I do know he genuinely loves the Mk1 GTI. I've read articles of his before raving about them. And, in the final episode of the year, to claim it was the best car he'd driven all year? That in itself places it above any other "favourites" he had that year :)

The man has taste :D

He does indeed have taste and it his opinions have a big impact on appreciation societies because of his social standing and the cars he's driven!

I wish they'd do another series of his chat show, one of the best chat shows in recent years. I love his style, as already said he personifies the enthusiasm that everyone feels for the subject.

Clarkson for PM! ;)