Sign in to follow this  
M.P.H.

Replacement

Brand new Seat Leon Cupra R only a few left at dealer across the country sure you could get one, if not an FR+ 20vt

a seat over a TVR??i think not :lol:

If its just for weekends or low mileage (5k) and its between the Honda and TVR, its easy. TVR all the way. If you wanted to use it everyday then the Honda would be the "sensible" option but if its only 5k a year then you don't need a sensible car. Think of the gggrrrrooowwwwllll!

kevHaywire, the Tiv was a good example BUT they did say there were some dogs out there which would clearly effect the outcome.

Guy in work has one, the noise on startup is immense! then the overrun.....dream!

MPH, how is the decision making going?

I have a TVR Griffith 500 as a second car. The reliability thing is a bit of a myth with the Rover V8 powered cars. I haven't had a problem with mine at all. The only things that really go wrong are small niggley electrical problems that are easy to fix. Most parts are cheap and readily available. I wouldn't want it as an everyday car but as a weekend toy its fantastic. The build quality certainly isnt up to VW standards but if you have a corrado you will be used to rattles and bits falling off!. 14k will get you a nice chimaera 500, dont bother with anything less than the 5.0. Condition is everything with TVRs, most important thing to check is rust on the chassis especially on the outriggers which run along the sills.

Jumping on this a bit late, but hey, who cares, my forum :)

S2000: slower than a VR

VX220: get the Turbo, or don't bother.

S3: Not really a weekend toy is it?

Chimaera: probably the best out of your list

And to those luuurving the Tuscan - don't bother. Most Tuscan owners get on very well with their dealer for a good reason - they're there all the time. Friend of mine had an S for 1.5 years - was on its third engine by 20k miles. Went back to Blackpool no less than 5 times IIRC!

You could get a Mk1 VXR Monaro for 14k at a push...Not as good as the Mk2, but would be my choice for some fun!

I went out in a mate's S3 after an AmD remap and it's a serious tool! The 4WD launch off the blocks and handling in the wet is awesome. I reckon it goes a long towards a weekend toy! Unless you drive aswell as Tiff, i'd say getting the most out of a TVR would be difficult - they don't even have ABS! S2000's are a bit hairdressery, and VX220...well a bit Vauxhaully!! :wink: (although I'd love a go in one then give it back after!)

i'd say tvr, im thinking of getting one next year. id say go for the chimaera 500 or cerbera, i love the interior of the cerbera but not the reliabilty of the engine. i knew someone who had one for three months he had to spend 3 grand on it in them three months but he said it was the quickest car he has ever driven and probably ever will drive. tvr's are in my blood my uncle has always had them and i always remember going to trackdays as a kid in his 450se, that did sound sweet. oh well never mind, bring on next year.

i'd say getting the most out of a TVR would be difficult - they don't even have ABS!

That much grunt in a car weighing just over a tonne is going to be a handful, ABS or no ABS :lol: Some people love taming a car like that though and don't want to be nannied by driver 'aids' :wink:

Afraid im taking the safe option, have put a deposit on an S2000. Was temped by the TVR, but seem to be a bit of a money pit. Thats one of the reasons for replacing the corrado. Although after having the geometary set up at stealth yesterday, it feels like a different car. The honda's not as hardcore as the TVR, But the V-TEC engine is special. Last rear wheel car i had was a 944 with 160 bhp, so it's going to be intresting. Got the honda warranty as well and servicing is reasonable. TVR will have to wait till i have the lottery win.

Good choice! The VTEC unit in the S2000 is miles better than the others imo. The Civic Type R just wasn't fast at all when I drove one, imo, but the S2000 kicks a lot harder. When you get it, check out the honda forums as there's some choice mods you can do to that engine, such as lowering the cam changeover point etc etc to make it more drivable....

Already been on a couple, S2K and Revolution. Got the impression you couldn't get big gains unless you turbo or supercharge similiar to the corrado. Already getting 240bhp out of a 2 litre n/a, but if you know any different intresting. Not very culed up to be honest, thought the CTR was just a detuned version of the S2000 engine. My tuning knowledge amount to having a de-cat fitted on a subaru once.

I've read about something called a spoon mod, chip, zorts etc that can take the Civic engine to 240ish hp. I assumed the same stuff could be applied to the S2000 lump but you're right, 240 from a 2.0 is enough (and damned impressive) so you don't want to push it over the edge....being a very highly tuned engine to begin with. Keep an eye on the oil, they drink the stuff and if it's too low the VTEC unit won't work properly.

Decat and front pipes works well on the scoob because the standard front pipes are deliberately throttled to fall in line with Japan's 'gentleman's agreement' on power restriction. Not sure you'd get anything like the same gains on the S2000.

I'll keep looking on the forums. Excellent car by the way, saw it at stealth R/R day. Can you get much more hp out of it, anything planned.

Nice one mate, boy do they rev!!

What did you think of the 944? I drove an S2 on a g plate. Was the 3litre one and around the 200bhp? Anyway, lovely car and felt like it was carved out of a solid bloke of iron build wise. LOVED driving it with the headlights up at the end of the long bonnet, dont no why that just felt so good.

Wierd thing was it felt really slow. Nice and very smooth, just a good all round car but didnt exilerate. felt like it was too long geared imo?

Summed the 944 up perfect NickVR6. great build and handling, felt special when driving it. Turbo version a must performance wise. Sold mine because it felt slow, also it was a show car. Only 60k with 2 lady owners, and the most history i've ever seen with a car. Sold it to a chap in his 50's who would give it the care it deserved.

Been to view the S2000 this afternoon which i put the deposit on. Car looked ok, not yet prepared for sale valeted etc. Have a few concerns about the car.

1. Honda servicing is 9000miles/12 months, the car is an 2000X with 28k. Because of the low mileage it has been serviced every 18 months on average.

2. Cheap tyres fitted to the car, which is the first thing i look at on a car to see how it has been maintained.

3. When off throttle and slowing down, there apppears to be excessive noise from the rear of the car. As if the exhaust is vibrating or the diff is whining. Sales men gave it "they all do it line". Dont recall the other one i went in doing it.

Sales man said come back thursday next week when it has been through the work shop and valeted. But beginning to have my doubts about the car. What do you all think, will view more examples this weekend to compare.

TVR.....I live just around the corner from the factory.....and have met the chap with the best job in Blackpool....test drivin' 'em.

at least you won't die like you would have done with the tvr.

i've driven my bro's 5.0 chimera a few times and its absolutely awesome - needs some serious revisions to the suspension though. fekin scary at full chat - not very well 'tied down' at all imo

fekin amazing car though - i'd love one.

mind you, what about a wedge?

SEAC anyone??? ;)

Having jumped out of the Corrado ownership pool 18months ago, I got myself the TT I had always lusted after, ignoring everyone telling me it would be dull. So they were right, but it's something I had to do. I am now looking for it's replacement, and am still drawn to the rado, but I've been spoilt with the new shiney bits of the TT. My next purchase will almost certainly be a BMW M coupe, (Z3 breadbin) stupid performance, for 15K. has anyone else taken the same route??

Them little m coupes have AMAZING performance, I was on my bike and saw an m coupe right up my bum, pulled the throttle back, looked behind me after around 10 or so seconds and it was still there!!!

Most respect ive given to a car, 15k really? Thought they were alot more than that.

Like alot of others i also LOVE the tuscan, am sure owning one would be a nightmare tho. I get 19 mpg combined from my 1.8T cant imagine the fuel economy on a tuscan.