Sign in to follow this  
The-Mortman

Radiator Replacement VR6

I have the displeasure of replacing the radiator on my beloved VR6 this weekend. Apart from flushing the cooling system does anyone recommend completing any other worthy maintenance while the slam panel and rad are out? Hoses? Thermostat?

Thanks

I'd do the stat and any plastic housing that looks suspect... maybe temp senders as well depending on budget, have you checked the water pumps?

Be prepared to paint the rad support panel with hammerite as well as they seem to rust and it's a good opputunity to do this...

Also helps to order a few extra bits like bolts to replace rusty ones etc, also maybe worth getting a new thermoswitch as well as you'll need to swap it to the new rad anyways...

It's an easy enough job on a VR but it's annoying if you find extra bits you want to replace but havn't got them so it's worth having a good look around the car first...

You don't need to remove the slam panel. Take the battery out, remove the rad hoses, unbolt the fan assembly (bit tricky but can be done with patience!) slide the unit out in the direction of the battery tray (takes abit of jiggling), unbolt radiator and remove the same route as the fan unit. Goes back the way it came out. Took me about 1 1/2 hours as a novice. I'm sure there's a how to on here somewhere :wink:

OK VR6 .. I should've used the search. :D All those part numbers in Grahams responses to you, I take it they are all main dealer parts?! Anyone got any suggestions on cheaper alternatives? I've fallen out with my local VW after they trashed my HT leads doing a service.

Also anyone know the capacity of the cooling system, I reckon its around the 10 litre mark and was planning to use G12+ or equivalent .. anyone with a more accurate measure?

Thanks

I've got aircon so the heat exchanger is monted on the engine rad. What would be the problems associated with separating these two?

don't be tempted to go to GSF for a rad, their rads are cheap crap, I s.ent mine back

get an AKG one from euro car parts. OE quality, about £95.

i am half way through dismantling the fron og the car but i can't get the headlights out ... anyone know how these things come apart? :x

Have you removed 3 screws from the headlamps ? 2 on the top edge, 1 in the middle towards the bottom of the lamp. Should just slide out after that.

I have just replaced the radiator on my golf and so had to take bumper etc off.

Don't know if it's the same on a 'rado but on the golf there are some little screws that attach the bumper to the wheel arch, I had to take the front wheels off to get at them.

Yep there are bolts which attach the wheel arch liners to the bumper plus there are the two splash panels under the front of the bumper which need to come off. Of couse you'll need to remove the indicators/fogs before removing the bumper. Itsalso a good time to clean up the lenses and generally give the lights a revamp.

Part finally arrived, thermostat housing comes with rubber seals between the 3 main parts and the bit the connects to the block .. anyone know if you to use any kind of sealant to put it all back together? Or are the rubber seals sufficient?

I believe the rubber seals are sufficient once you have the clips in place - they keep the seal compressed and water tight.

Funnily enough, I'm running through this loop right now too.

From what I've read, it looks as if the ECP radiator is the one to go for in preference to GSF.

ECP want £103+VAT

GSF is £109+VAT

VW are £152+VAT... but they're on back-order till 30th Jan .. ffs!

I would happily pay the extra £30 for a VW one (with 10% owners club discount!), but it seems they can't supply 'em.

Yeah I'm looking into getting a new rad as mine has sprung a leak :roll:

Spoke to my local VW dealer who told me that the OE rads are now on back- order until the 24th Feb. ECP are also out of stock, so I wanted to know what is so bad about GSFs offering.

U got yours yet dr_mat?

Yeah, mine has a nice new ECP rad.

BTW when I spoke to the dealers, they were saying "back order till end of January".. so it looks like they're basically not planning on ordering any, doesn't it? Tossers!

Tidy, I may give ECP a ring and see when they are getting some in then, and to check that it isn't just a problem with their site showing false stock levels.

Yeah you are prob. right about the stealers.

Cheers for the reply.

Took mine to Midland to get the ABS N/S sensor replaced and found that hole in my rad had grown :( I do however now have a nice new OE one fitted - think the Cannock dealer must have had one in stock.