Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

2 Cars Or Corrado?

As I'm eventually (slowly) getting my C back to minty as possible, I'm toying with the idea of getting a really cheap runabout. Talking £400 banger with 12 months MOT. Trouble is, when you factor in insurance and tax I'm not sure if it'll be cheaper. I reckon I'd save about £10 a week in petrol (do about 150 miles on average a week).

I just don't want the C (after a complete respray etc) to get damaged or the miles piled on. I know it'll be fine as a daily runner, just not sure what to do. I'm not rolling in it by the way! Cheaper idea would be.......??

Well do the maths, if its saving you £10 a week that's £500 a year so it pays for itself & you just have the tax and insurance. IS it worth tax and insurance to save your C from potential scratches etc.

I have garaged my C this winter but only because i've had use of my bros car, taxed & MOT for free. If it wasn't for the free car I wouldn't have bought another car especially for it. The Corrado is meant to be driven!

I did have a second car to use when i couldn't afford to put petrol in the corrado, when it was off the road, and when i was visiting anywhere where i wasn't sure if the car was gonna be safe (happens quite a lot when you live in Teesside!). To be honest it didn't really work out much cheaper at all, but just for those other situations where it was really handy, i think its a really good idea...

Get two, if something breaks on the cheap car it's bound to be less money to fix than the rado, plus if it goes badly wrong then you just scrap it and get another cheap runabout.

Plus you can put the rado's insurance to social, domestic and pleasure and limited mileage so you'll save money there, and lessen the risk of it being damaged.

I also have a Polo GT, which I use as my runabout while the C's VOR.

I paid £350 for it, spent another £100 on a cambelt kit, front brakes, a full service, etc and its never let me down.

When the C's running again, I'm keeping it, but SORNing it. If I need to use it, I'll stick £60 tax on it and away I go.