Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Whoaaa!

Just spoke to someone about getting the VR back to minty condition on the bodywork. Full respray, get rid of a little bit of rust/stone chips etc.

Now I've being told hes very very good, so theres that to bear in mind.

He said it would be around £1800 for the lot to be done and would need the car for around a month as hes usually v busy.

Don't thinkI could justify spending that on the bodywork! Might just get the rust sorted and maybe front end blowover, should be a lot cheaper!

Its the whole bodywork, well, external anyway, and door sills.

Not stripping the interior or anything, cars currently a daily runner.

I think he said he'd take the windows out. Only spoken to him on phone, said he'd need to see it (obviously) before he can give me a proper quote, but around the £1800.

He's currently restoring 2 e-type jags for someone!

£1800...holy cow. I'd be hard pressed to part with that much cash for an entire car, let alone a respray! Still, if you're serious about your motors then I can understand it.

Yeah, that quote sounds about right for a full doors-open re-spray.

You can probably save quite a bit if you can completely strip the interior out beforehand though.

Dont forget the extra costs of bump strips, sill protectors, Roof strips, window seals, fron and rear windscreen seals door seals. If you want to get your car looking as new some or all of these will be quite tired or get damaged in removal. All of the above you would need to add another £300 ish from VAG

you can save a few hundred if you remove the bumpers, bump strips, grille, head lights, rear lights, perhaps even the entire hatch, door panels, sill protectors and door handles.

When the previous owner repainted my car (in its original color), he just painted the original roof strips, and it looks quite all right. It makes it kind of spooky if you want to have a roof rack or something, but I haven't seen a lot of cars with a ski rack, and besides, I bet you don't go skiing a lot in England anyways.

It makes it kind of spooky if you want to have a roof rack or something, but I haven't seen a lot of cars with a ski rack, and besides, I bet you don't go skiing a lot in England anyways.

You would be hard pushed to find a C owner on here who owns a roof rack let alone fitted one!

£1800 does sound quite reasonable and you have already done the hard part by finding someone with a good reputation. If you get just the front blown over then make sure you get the wing mirrors done as well; a few chips in these are really obvious.

You would be hard pushed to find a C owner on here who owns a roof rack let alone fitted one!

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 818#120818 ;)

I knew someone had one just couldn't remember who. I did say you would be 'hard pushed' not impossible.

I bet RW1 probably has an OE one just because he has everything ever made for the C, even if it's never been fitted :wink:

I got quoted £1500 for a full respray. This included sorting the rust on the drivers side sill, 5 or 6 littles dents, colour coding the grill/rear numberplate surround/handles, and rolling the arches.

I did say that I'd remove the windows and trim though.

Oh, and here's a pic of my rado 'racked up!

Dscf3303small.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

where can i get a roof rack from, i want one for my treck to austria in may!

Also, i got quoted a similar 2k for a full doors open respray on my car, got very freindly with a chap who owns a garage, and a new £47k spray booth in his new unit! ha ha, but this price included paint, and flatting after laquer, and then a re laquer, then gflatting and polishing again, so finish will be like glass!

He's very very good, did my last car (featured in golf+ apr 05 (i think).)

I suppose it depends on what you want to spend your money on.

I reckon anyone that smokes spends that in a year!

Just a thought?

I paid £2600 for the VR6. Thats with a recent engine rebuild and clutch. Now on 101,000m.

£320 for cat1 alarm/immob fitted (now done)

£2000 for the respray. (I like to over estimate)

£250 to get interior back to how it should be (full heated leather recaros in v good cond)

£150 to get air-con working again.

I'll leave out mechanical stuff as it would be the same on any C, but once that is done, what do you reckon it'd be worth? Not that I'd want to sell it of course!