Sign in to follow this  
veeDuB_Rado

It's aliiiiiiiiiive!

Keep us informed. I'd be interested to know what the results of your insurance quest are. I've had a few good surprises in the past. It may be your lucky day.

Yea will do mate !

Just sent a PM to him now, and I'll start ringing insurance companies tomorrow to see how many pennies I can get it for :)

Good luck. :)

bcstudent, as you say though he's young and the quotes going to be high whatever's under the bonnet! So it'll be hard to judge how good a deal it really is.. :?

My insurance is stupidly cheap actually because they only look at the BHP figure compared to what the car used to be, a G60...

Like I said in my PM tho, unless you have a crashed mk4 and do the work yourself then a conversion like that will cost a fair amount (3-4k at Stealth for just labour)

I'd personally stick with a 16V, especially as it used to be a press car - what about the GTi engineering lump that was on here a couple of days ago - that would be a fairly straight swap...

16v you have a little slice of history there and it would be a shame to start changing things around too much. If it's only a valve problem I would look at getting it sorted. Don't take the first diagnosis and quote as gospel but try a few places and see what opinions you get back.

Thing is, I think it's the same value as a normal 16v anyway, that's why I'm thinking of doing it.

I really do want to keep it standard, but it's annoying cos I want faster Rado!

I can understand you wanting a faster rado but at 18 the insurance is gonna start getting really steep for a bigger engine. The 16v isn't a bad car by any means and I'm sure there are lots of 18 year olds who would be more than happy to have any Rado (hope that doesn't sound patronising).

As others have said get some quotes before you go ahead and get any work done on an engine change.

Yea true, I know what you mean about 18 year olds being happy, I couldn't be any more happier than what I got.

Just I want a change for some reason.

Ok, Ok, I'll just get this one sorted out and keep it a 16v then :) :-P

Then I'll sell it and buy a cheap valver then put another engine in.

Yea true, I know what you mean about 18 year olds being happy, I couldn't be any more happier than what I got.

Just I want a change for some reason.

Ok, Ok, I'll just get this one sorted out and keep it a 16v then :) :-P

Then I'll sell it and buy a cheap valver then put another engine in.

There is a lot more to consider than just slapping an engine in - for starters G60 drive shafts are a larger diameter to cope with torque compared to a 16v car.

You can pick up an entire 16v engine for peanuts right now and as you only want a head you can sell the other bits you don't need. I agree with some of the other posters that you have a bit of history (The only one remaining unless someone can tell me otherwise) and it is worth keeping that way.

If you get this one sorted and sell it you'd be better buying a G60/VR than getting another valver and doing an engine transplant, would be a bit of a waste of time & money IMO.

If you get this one sorted and sell it you'd be better buying a G60/VR than getting another valver and doing an engine transplant, would be a bit of a waste of time & money IMO.

totally agree mate. for the cost of an engine transplant you could have a tidy vr at the moment.

makes far more sense in my opinion.

then supercharge the vr!

IMO, You should try to keep her as she was. I know you probably feel like "F**k it" caus she has given you enough grief over the past few months, but as mentioned above you have a rare piece of Rado there and although it may not be it the same league as a storm it still deserves some TLC rather than a heart transplant.

2p Cha Ching.

IMO, You should try to keep her as she was. I know you probably feel like "F**k it" caus she has given you enough grief over the past few months, but as mentioned above you have a rare piece of Rado there and although it may not be it the same league as a storm it still deserves some TLC rather than a heart transplant.

2p Cha Ching.

Ahh, that very post has made my decision...

I will keep it as a 16v, I will see what the garage say what is exactly the problem is and I'll get a price from him, then I'll post up on here to see wether it's worth getting another 16v engine to put in.

Thanks for replys guys :)

If you need valves, I have some in my garage somewhere which you can have for the price of postage.

>

Don't get caught up in big engines at your time of life.

Everything comes to he who waits.!!

My advice is to start learning about cars so you can do this stuff yourself, rather than paying someone £40 and hour. It's amazing what you can learn from a Haynes. Maybe even go to college for some night schooling.

When I was at Tech, some years ago :roll: , you could take you car down there and have the apprentices work on your car for free. You just paid for the bits and some beer. The instructors used to keep their eye on things.

When I came out of the RAF and did my car mechanics C and G at Catterick, it was just like working in a garage. Squaddies were in all the time getting stuff done. I made a few quid too.

>

Gavin

A second opinion may not be as daft as it sounds. A friend's Corrado was recently at a garage for a cold-running fault. The garage told her that the engine was knackered and needed replacement. It turned out to be running very lean.

It's amazing what you can learn from a Haynes. Maybe even go to college for some night schooling.

My local college (where I used to work) has cancelled all of its light vehicle night schools.. I was going to sign up and start going so I could learn how to do brakes, etc etc - I spoke to some of the old workshop guys who used to work on my first Corrado from time to time and they said that it'd all been pulled and that there was just no equivilant courses anywhere in the area! :(

If you need valves, I have some in my garage somewhere which you can have for the price of postage.

Cheers mate :)

>

Don't get caught up in big engines at your time of life.

Everything comes to he who waits.!!

My advice is to start learning about cars so you can do this stuff yourself, rather than paying someone £40 and hour. It's amazing what you can learn from a Haynes. Maybe even go to college for some night schooling.

When I was at Tech, some years ago :roll: , you could take you car down there and have the apprentices work on your car for free. You just paid for the bits and some beer. The instructors used to keep their eye on things.

When I came out of the RAF and did my car mechanics C and G at Catterick, it was just like working in a garage. Squaddies were in all the time getting stuff done. I made a few quid too.

>

Gavin

Yea, I know very little about cars, and the only reason I took it to a garage was because I was fed up of seeing outside not being driven.

Good idea about going to night schooling, I've often wondered about that.

Well I'm gonna pop down there in a bit to see what actually is happening with it...