Sign in to follow this  
H8RRA

Cleaning Engine Bays

I've read threads where engine bay cleaning was discussed but I always have problems finding stuff in the search. What do people recommend to get a bay sparkling??

Could we use the knowledge database or create a general advice - reference only forum - for things such as

- recommended exterior cleaning products

- recommended engine bay products

- recommended tyres

- recommended suppliers

- recommended oils

- recommended spark plugs etc.

As opposed to discussion threads, this would be a quick reference section and potentially stop the many repetitive threads (or at least reduce them) and be an easy, quic-to-hand way to find out general information.

Anyway - what to clean my engine bay with and get rid of oxidation and genreal nastiness?????

Elbow grease gets my vote!

Sparks I'd use VW's.

Tyre discussion will go on forever.

Suppliers: VW & GSF.

Exterior Cleaning: Meguirs for top jobs.

Elbow grease gets my vote!

Sparks I'd use VW's.

Tyre discussion will go on forever.

Suppliers: VW & GSF.

Exterior Cleaning: Meguirs for top jobs.

the one thing i was after - engine bay cleaning - you suggest elbow grease - where do i buy that then. :wink:

please don't clutter the thread with general stuff - that was just a proposal - apart from that, i'm not aware vw make spark plugs, elbow grease recommendation is flippant and not helpful, vw as suppliers :roll: , meguirs, i agree but not on this thread

As opposed to discussion threads, this would be a quick reference section and potentially stop the many repetitive threads (or at least reduce them) and be an easy, quic-to-hand way to find out general information.

I spose 'the search' is really good for reference as to what products etc people recommend, there are pretty long threads about recomended tyres/oils etc. Either that or the 'suppliers section' ?

If the info wasn't put in the context of 'discussion threads' would it not then be more like a sponsered advertisment webpage endorsing certain products in closed forums?

Or have I missunderstood your point? :lol:

Also, with regards to 'the search'... I don't want to be seen to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but, if you put: cleaning AND engine AND bay: into the search it comes up with quite alot of pages of info for you to kill 'work time' with :D..it wasn;t untill I got shown that that I started to get any use out of the search.

Also, with regards to 'the search'... I don't want to be seen to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but, if you put: cleaning AND engine AND bay: into the search it comes up with quite alot of pages of info for you to kill 'work time' with :D

thats ofter half the problem tho.....info overload.

i was envisaging a thread such as

engine bay cleaning

- product x,y,z work well adn are good price from company y, used by me to provide good results - pic before/after?

exterior cleaning/polishing

meguirs produces excellent results, available at halfords etc...

ood idea/bad idea? Sort of a collation of recommendations from people who've used stuff and have pics before/after, not an advertising forum....

I spose what you mean is sorta like the knowledge base, but for products , not technical info?

Shirly it would have to be a locked thread that no-one can contribute to if it was to be stopped from turning into another mass-debate (( :norty: :nono: )) 5 pager about each product..knowing what we're like on here.

If that was the case then like I said in the last post, I reckon the forum would be seen to be even more biased than it already is :wink: :lol:

if people have used stuff, it give good results and they can show pics possibly, people can make an informed decision/choice. Why is this seen as biased??

Yeah, if people have used stuff , and can also compare it with other competitive products on the market then it could be unbiased, but that's not usually the case :lol:

me?...paranoid?....what do you mean?.....who said that?....what did I do? :drinking:

I can see where H8RRA is coming from.... I was thinking of doing a VR6 engine related thread (info only) myself to prevent the myriads of "My VR6 keeps stalling" coming up over and over..... that way, peeps could go straight to a thread with suggested fixes, pooled from various other threads...and THEN and only then do they ask the question, having tried the suggestions unsuccessfully first.

Same with recommended products....we could pool together positive comments about Products X, Y and Z from the forum and recommend the ones that get the most (positive) mentions/votes.

Now that would be idyllic forum utopia wouldn't it? But it'll never happen :-)

does sound a good idea.....but it would mean less people chattin and more people just browsin,makin your lifes that little bit to easy :D

This could be done in the same way as the recommended garages sections ;)

does sound a good idea.....but it would mean less people chattin and more people just browsin,makin your lifes that little bit to easy :D

I can see where H8RRA is coming from.... now that would be idyllic forum utopia wouldn't it? But it'll never happen :-)

Power to the people :)

The masses (3?) have spoken. As opposed to stopping discussion, as stated it would collate info already on the forum and prevent duplicate threads, be an easy point of reference, easy to find, first port of call and lead to discussions that would add and increase the knowledge base as opposed to diluting it with duplicate stuff on duplicate threads. Already, I could list a dozen engine bay products and back a thread with general advice alont the lines of...

hot pressure washing is not advisable as it lifts protective films.

protect electric with plastic bags

use water repellants to stop electric problems

Autoglym used and recommended but use with vinyl and rubber protector

Use Jizzer :?

Gunk is good but stinks to high heaven

etc.........

Admittedly the info is out there but takes ages to find, most people would post a new thread as opposed to reading through dozens of threads to find one-liners that are relevant and even then you'd have to sit and write down the inof as you progressed as opposed to having a reference section that hold non-discussion threads. theres plenty of them already.

One of the biggest complaints on here is duplicates and "...use the search.." statements from mods.

I think its a good idea anyway - if we can do a wiki for technical stuff, the justifiaction is already there for a recommendation from experience wiki??????

Anyone found a product that cleans the silver (currently brown) engine cover? Have tried various products including carb cleaner, but its just not shifting!

It'd be good to have a knowledge base with this stuff in (not in general chat) but as products change all the time and get updated or replaced it would be difficult to maintain.

What would be useful to have in the wiki is do's and don'ts. Like dont pressure wash you bay!

Shouldn't be a problem to pressure wash the bay???? ive done it,

Cover the electrics in plastic bags while the cleaner is soaking into the muck, then go for it.

He he. yeah! Never ending!

Wondered why you had a pic of bin laden eating a pasty for a minute until I looked at it more closely! (Walesly)

harra have you used one yet? as i am going to do this before go up for spring gti fest!

bought some autoglym at dinnertime cos it was the first ting i came accross - will try b4 friday - the foaming tyre cleaner looks like a neat trick if it works.....

Anyone found a product that cleans the silver (currently brown) engine cover? Have tried various products including carb cleaner, but its just not shifting!

I wouldnt mind ideas on this one as well,