Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Syntha silver - and how useless are VW Caffyns!

Hi

My girlfriend went into a Caffyns store today to the Parts Dept to pick up some Syntha Silver 10w 40 (semi-synthetic) engine oil for me. Sounds simple enough... Well not with Caffyns!

Firstly the bottle she came back with doesn't even say "Syntha Silver" anywhere on it she said, secondly the Caffyns man told my gf that it wasn't semi-synthetic, and thirdly the man said you shouldn't use semi-synthetic in a golf VR6. How cr*p are they? Anyway I haven't even seen the bottle yet but I told my gf it's clearly not the one and I'm taking it back Sat morning before 11am (the only time they're open at the weekend!) to get a refund. How useless are they... they clearly don't know their ar*e from their elbow. I'm annoyed because I wanted to use some this evening but now have to wait a week before I can get down there when they're actually open.

Can I confirm a couple of things: is "Syntha Silver" written on the bottle and is Syntha Silver (for the Golf VR6) semi-synthetic and suitable for the Golf VR6?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Matt

For the 12V VR6 engines they recommend 15w40 oils, which means the non-synthetic VW oil.

It is an acceptable alternative to use the 10w40 synta silver semi-synth, however, which many people do. Better oil can't hurt, right?

For the 12V VR6 engines they recommend 15w40 oils, which means the non-synthetic VW oil.

It is an acceptable alternative to use the 10w40 synta silver semi-synth, however, which many people do. Better oil can't hurt, right?

i think people need to read oilmans post about the myths between fully/semi synthetic oils,15w40 fully/semi or whatever are all the same viscosity

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... highlight=

It's the fact my gf specifically asked for semi-synthetic, 10W40, Syntha Silver, for a mark 3 Golf VR6 and they thought they knew best and gave her something that wasn't semi-synthetic. Sounds like they've given her 10W40 non-semi-synthetic and if it doesn't say synta silver on the bottle there's no telling what it is.

i think people need to read oilmans post about the myths between fully/semi synthetic oils,15w40 fully/semi or whatever are all the same viscosity

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Yeah man, read that stuff before. But it says in the VR6 handbook "15w40" .. I, amongst many others have decided we like the semi-synth because it's less likely to be sludge in 10k miles time and it's not too expensive. VW on the other hand see a woman walk in asking for something and instead give her what they think she meant...

Ok.. it has the following on the 5ltr bottle (which is a silver bottle):

Quantum (in big letters), Synta, Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (10w40 is on the back).

I'm certainly taking it back as it doesn't say anywhere that it is "Synta Silver" nor does it say semi-synthetic anywhere.

It was Caffyns in Goring in West Sussex near Worthing. They are pretty crap normally... but I would have thought selling oil (when it is spelled out to them what I want) would be simple enough... not in this case. It's not like I asked them to find something... I stated what I wanted!

They do for a fact treat young women without any respect in there. My gf's commented on how they have been rude in there before... funny enough not when she had her dad in there.

I'm after this type of oil because that is what The Phirm use.

Thanks for your help guys.

If you're getting your car seen to by the Phirm, there's a GSF in Farnham by the way - and they will certainly sort you out with the proper Synta Silver 10/40 semi-synth :)

Quantum (in big letters), Synta, Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (10w40 is on the back).

I'm certainly taking it back as it doesn't say anywhere that it is "Synta Silver" nor does it say semi-synthetic anywhere.

Mate that's the right one, it's branded Quantum Synta and is in a silver bottle (the gold is fully synthetic), synthetic blend just means it's a mix of synthetic and mineral based oil (i.e. another way of saying semi-synthetic).

Exactly, how many more times do we have to say it?!! :-)

We just know it as "quantum silver" but it doesn't actually say that on the container!

How many miles has the Goof done? If it's at or over 100K, you want to be using a 10W-50 really and the Silkolene Pro-S stuff Oilman sells is the biz. It's 100% pure man made Ester based....can't much better than that as it's what they use for lubing jet engines!

It was Caffyns in Goring in West Sussex near Worthing. They are pretty crap normally... but I would have thought selling oil (when it is spelled out to them what I want) would be simple enough... not in this case. It's not like I asked them to find something... I stated what I wanted!

They do for a fact treat young women without any respect in there. My gf's commented on how they have been rude in there before... funny enough not when she had her dad in there.

I'm after this type of oil because that is what The Phirm use.

Thanks for your help guys.

If you take it back you will look a little silly as they have given you what you asked for. For your information i use the branch every day to supply us with all our oe products and they are one of the best i have used. Any query's you may have ask to speak to trevor in the parts dept as he knows his corrado's and vag in generalvery very well and rarley even has to look on ekta for the part numbers. I have not seen any mistakes from them yet.

Moving to Suppliers seeing as though this is more a discussion about Stealers.

Update: I've found the VAG part no. on the receipt. It's: VAG ZGB115QLB00406

Is this the correct stuff then?